Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #1

Air suspension in new Dodge Ram

Heading down to GA this weekend to get our new Ram 3500 DRW pickup. Only just realized that there was an option for air ride suspension. Anyone have the option? Or anyone have comments without the option? We're picking up our 38RL in another week or so in FL.
Full-timers as of 10 a.m. Sept. 15th
Currently living in CT soon to be residence of FL
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Traveling

HI Rhonda; Happy days on the new truck and RW!! We were told that the air-ride only comes on the 1500 (we have the same truck you are picking up). It wasn't offered on ours. We haven't actually felt the need for it yet. If anything, we could probably see some use with the Lance Camper, but honestly, it would only be cosmetic. The truck sits dead-level with the RW in tow, and it tows LIKE A DREAM! Literally cannot even feel it back there. We are super happy with it. It squats ever so slightly with the camper (which is 4500 pounds with the tanks full), BUT, it drives and feels great. I think we are going to skip it.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #3

Theresa - we initially thought the same, but after hitting some killer bridges down the I-5 and across to Mesa last Winter, I put the air bags on before the return trip.

Huge improvement.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #4

Just saw the writeup on the new 3500 with the air bag auto leveling system and new front suspension. Sounds like an awesome ride. Bags on my SRW sure made a huge difference. Jealous of the new truck, but congrats.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

Sounds like the new Dodge option will be closer to what Dave has done to his Ford - total air suspension.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:02 AM   #6
Dan

There is a youtube video on the air suspension, which is as I was told an option on the 2015, looks pretty awesome. Would love a new RAM but I only got 65K on mine

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #7

If my memory is correct the early 90 Dodges terrible ride is what lead Kelderman Manufactring to develope the air ride suspension that has evolved to what they have availible now ( ie; What Dave has on his Ford). It's amazing that it takes 25 years for the auto manufacterers to catch on.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel chaser View Post
If my memory is correct the early 90 Dodges terrible ride is what lead Kelderman Manufactring to develope the air ride suspension that has evolved to what they have availible now ( ie; What Dave has on his Ford). It's amazing that it takes 25 years for the auto manufacterers to catch on.
Just some manufacturers. Land Rover started installing air suspension on Range Rovers back in 1993. That's not to say they were without issues initially though...
Old 06-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Kind of like fuel injection? - turbocharging? Or even the aftermarket pointless ignition system that was around for almost 2 decades before the first electronic ignition system was introduced on US cars
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
Site Team

You don't even want to know about aircraft. The FAA is such an archaic, red tape, bs ridden institution that it's an unbelievable task to change or improve anything.

If you look under the engine cowlings of Pipers and Cessna be prepared to laugh hysterically if you are in any way mechanically knowledgeable. We're talking 1940's technology even in current engines. Fixed timing magnetos, very antiquated carburetors, and even the fuel injection systems are full time flow, manually adjustable for mixture. On the flip side, they are pretty bulletproof as far as reliability with good maintenance.

The cutting edge in small aircraft is EAA and the kit built, home built experimental class aircraft. A lot of really nice, well proven kits and you don't have to deal with even a quarter of all the BS
Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
You don't even want to know about aircraft. The FAA is such an archaic, red tape, bs ridden institution that it's an unbelievable task to change or improve anything.

If you look under the engine cowlings of Pipers and Cessna be prepared to laugh hysterically if you are in any way mechanically knowledgeable. We're talking 1940's technology even in current engines. Fixed timing magnetos, very antiquated carburetors, and even the fuel injection systems are full time flow, manually adjustable for mixture. On the flip side, they are pretty bulletproof as far as reliability with good maintenance.

The cutting edge in small aircraft is EAA and the kit built, home built experimental class aircraft. A lot of really nice, well proven kits and you don't have to deal with even a quarter of all the BS

Yep....most of the door handles are off a 1945 too
Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:

You're right! Gary Kelderman said he could change out the axles and put air ride on my trailer too. I'm just not sure which system is best, the "IS" or his air ride.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #13

Dave, is Gary's cost comperable to the IS? I snowmobiled with him a few times back in the early 90's. He's designed some pretty neat things.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Dave, is Gary's cost comperable to the IS? I snowmobiled with him a few times back in the early 90's. He's designed some pretty neat things.
Without changing out the axles I think they wanted around $2600. I was amazed with some of the stuff they were working on in his shop. This guy is a genius when it comes to suspensions.