Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Adding Shocks to 36RL

Has anyone added shocks to their RW with the 7 thousand pound axles? I'm considering adding shocks to my 36RL to perhaps improve the ride. I recently had a rear tire go bad due to hitting a pothole bursting the steel belts. I also have a lot of problems with unit bouncing front to rear going down the road. 5th Wheel is new, only 2000 miles, has standard pin box and pulling it with a new 350 HD dually. I know that replacing the standard pin box with the air ride box would help, but I can't afford that upgrade.
Jeff&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #2

I haven't heard of putting shocks on the 36RL, but I can testify to the crummy tires that were on ours. About six weeks ago, on a piece of super-slab with no pot holes, we experienced a blowout on the factory Goodyear Marathon Load Range E tires and the coach (a 36RL) is still in the shop. The bill is up to $9,600 for the repairs. We are upgrading the tires to Goodyear 614s Load Range G. Also, we are having to upgrade the wheels as well to be able to inflate the new tires beyond 80psi. If you'll search "let's talk tires" you can maybe benefit from everyone else's experiences. I would start with getting good tires/wheels on first.I wish you luck as you rectify your problem.
Doug
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Sandy View Post
Has anyone added shocks to their RW with the 7 thousand pound axles? I'm considering adding shocks to my 36RL to perhaps improve the ride. I recently had a rear tire go bad due to hitting a pothole bursting the steel belts. I also have a lot of problems with unit bouncing front to rear going down the road. 5th Wheel is new, only 2000 miles, has standard pin box and pulling it with a new 350 HD dually. I know that replacing the standard pin box with the air ride box would help, but I can't afford that upgrade.
I am sure many will chime in on this but you are learning a few lessons the hard way. I to have a 36RL although it is a 2012. I bought it used but knew from studying this forum for months before purchasing mine that i had to have the trailair pin box, Goodyear G range tires and disc brakes. I hardly know it is behind me. I have not heard of anyone adding shocks.
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Sandy View Post
Jeff,

I have seen kits on the web for putting shocks on RVs. Do you already have the "air lift" bags installed on your truck? If not, that is where I would start. It's a relatively small investment that stops the hard jumps at the seams and bridges.

I also believe that the G rated tires or even H tires are the way to go. If you have the "Marathon" tires, get them off that rig if you're planing on going any distance at all.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 AM   #5
lwg

I agree on the airbags. On mine, I personally don't see any real advantage to shocks or the expensive aftermarket suspensions. I'm always amazed at how well stuff stays in place during transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2015, 04:44 AM   #6

I put shocks on a 39 mb, the issues you mentioned dissappered! I also have air bags on truck as well on trailer. I get no movement from redwood when on rutted roads, bridges trucks passing....ect. Also goodyear 614 is an excellent tire for these units. I use 614 on my bobcat and dump trailers with no problems..........ever.....since 2004. Just recently sold equipment trailers that had 17.5 wheels and replaced with with new trailer's sporting 614 as I found it more difficult to find 17.5 that weren't china made....dont let the name on the side fool you.

I made my own shockmount kit, easy to find parts, and used monroe reflex shocks
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Can't remember which, or it might be both, LCI and MorRyde offer shock kits.

Btw, don't knock the "aftermarket" suspensions unless you've tried one. The $$ I spent for the MorRyde IS I consider to be the best improvement I've made on the rig. Besides the ride in the trailer for all the stuff, the overall handling of the rig is incredible. A lot of times I have to remind myself that I've got 40 ft of trailer behind me. The change in cornering, stopping, and overall handling is nothing short of remarkable.

Just the peace of mind of not having to be concerned with springs, shackles, bushings, etc was worth it. Just my .02.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #8

What air bags are the preferred? Will I have to replace my wheels to go with a better tire? I retired and went full time RV and expect to do a lot of traveling the country. I've decided that I will probably will invest in the air pin box but will have to save up for it.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Site Team

I bought the "air Lift" brand of air bags with the remote 1 control. I think it was around $350 and I paid someone around $250 to install the setup.

As for the pin box...they've come out with a new one that should be better than what most of us have. Like you I started out with the standard pin box and then about 2 years ago I bought the tri-glide and installed it myself. It made a GREAT difference.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
Site Team

The new one is called Flex Air. It combines the pivoting head with the airbag and shock absorber.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #11

Curious...
is it better than the tri-glide - or just different ?
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-mdemo-li...-lc328492.aspx

Once I put heavy grease in the tri-glide, it's worked super !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
Site Team

It does away with the PITA grease tri-glide and absorbs shock better.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 AM   #13

Doug, if you still have the blown Marathon, contact Goodyear as many have gotten the repairs covered by GY, but they need to old tire to determine the cause of the failure.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you have to upgrade wheels to go to a better tire, the best move you could do is go right to the 17.5 wheels and H rated tires and put 99.9% of your tire worries behind you (pun intended). Redwoods are heavy right from the start (most on Lazy Days lot had dry shipping weight sticker 14K and up, I expect out MB to be close to 15K from the Factory.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:23 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
It does away with the PITA grease tri-glide and absorbs shock better.

And it takes away the moving parts that BANG
Old 03-12-2015, 04:28 AM   #15

Do the 2015 redwoods have the 1621 style pinbox, I am wanting to order a roto flexair to replace my rotoflex?
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #16

If you are upgrading.... why not go to the ultimate......Goodyear H rated G114's & wheels like Michelle & Ann said ? This is what I upgraded to on my Cardinal after a blowout & ordered this option on my (being built) 39MB.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
And it takes away the moving parts that BANG

Again, the pinbox is one of the few things on our 38gk that DOESN'T go bang
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:34 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
If you got one of the new girly trucks (GMC) you wouldn't have any of your bangs Goin on
Old 03-13-2015, 03:41 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
If you got one of the new girly trucks (GMC) you wouldn't have any of your bangs Goin on
you're right.....not enough power to make it go bang
Old 03-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #20

So I'm looking at installing the Firestone air suspension kit on my F350 HD dually to cut down on the chucking. Good idea, thanks Dave. Firestone looks to be easier to install than the Air Lift model. If this can't control the chucking, later I will have to replace my standard pin box to the New Air Flex pin box $. Now I also have to replace these Goodyear Marathon tires and the Sendel wheels to prevent vehicle damage from blowouts and all that not so fun stuff that go along with it. I have found a rim I like Aluminum Star Hi spec rated at 3960 # and 110 PSI. I have looked at tires until I'm bug-eyed. I have found a couple of China tires that I could put on with a reasonable price. One is the Hercules LRF rated at 3960# and the other a Carlisle Radial F at 3960#. I don't know a lot about the Hercules tire but I have owned 2 Sunnybrook 5th wheels in the past one for 10 yrs 27 ft and the other for 5 years 35 ft MorRyde suspension system. Both units had the Carlisle tires on them. I didn't have any problem with tires on these units. I've owned other trailer in the past also and had no problem with tires. It wasn't until this RW that I had any tire problem or any other problem. I never had to take any of them back for repairs. I've had the RW in twice, once for a roof leak around the front AC (not enough sealant used) and was missing a complete seal, loose AC receptical, and a broken door knob that had been installed on assembly. Second time in for sofa had to be replaced (material was falling apart), another AC receptical falling off the wall, key pad not operating on the front door, vent fan gear stripped out, front slide not closing all the way (second time to have it repaired (first time they lubed to FIX), second time motors voltage was increased for more power, door knob replacement for same one as the first time (wrong knob sent out by RW) second time same thing. I decided to give that one up and keep the wrong color. Also sent unit in for sagging awnings over sideouts but RW denied the repair. I had unit less than a year parked under a RV port out of the weather and took it out for 3 vacations. Unit was in a couple of rain storms and RW says that sagging due to rain is not covered by them. Sorry about running off about all this but it just keeps getting worse every time I hook up to the unit. So back to tires. Any ideas on the Hercules or Carlisle?