Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
About to buy Redwood RW36FL

Hello all! So this is going to be a long story.... I had a 2008 keystone Montana for about 5 years that just recently got totalled out by weather. Me and my family lived in it for about 2 years and it did fine for our needs. Not super nice but it worked. Well we found a used 2013 rw36fl for a good deal and we are thinking about buying it. My concern is the pin weight on a front living fifth wheel. In my Montana I learned how to load it to where I had 2480 pin weight on my pickup but the trailer weighed in at 14k. The reason I'm concerned is because I have a 2014 ram 2500 and it's such a good deal on the Redwood it's hard to pass up but are currently in no situation to buy a new pickup. Any front living owners out there that know the actual pin weights of these monsters? Any help would be appreciated
Bughut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bughut View Post
Hello all! So this is going to be a long story.... I had a 2008 keystone Montana for about 5 years that just recently got totalled out by weather. Me and my family lived in it for about 2 years and it did fine for our needs. Not super nice but it worked. Well we found a used 2013 rw36fl for a good deal and we are thinking about buying it. My concern is the pin weight on a front living fifth wheel. In my Montana I learned how to load it to where I had 2480 pin weight on my pickup but the trailer weighed in at 14k. The reason I'm concerned is because I have a 2014 ram 2500 and it's such a good deal on the Redwood it's hard to pass up but are currently in no situation to buy a new pickup. Any front living owners out there that know the actual pin weights of these monsters? Any help would be appreciated
Any Redwood will have a gross of 16-16.5k so at the usual 20-25% pin weight of a 5th wheel it's minimum of 3200 pounds. Plus if I recall the FL models are pin heavy, hopefully someone that has will chime in.
Not sure there was/is a RW built that was towable by a 3/4 pickup, most are in the dually weight range. But I've seen it done with triple axle toy haulers & some of things folks have hitched up to 1/2 tons scare the hell out of me!
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Hey thank you so much for the reply! Good information, Redwoods, all of them, are super nice. I'm trying to do a little homework before we pull the final trigger. I was really hoping for a different answer! We were starting to get excited
Bughut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
xtasee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Not sure there was/is a RW built that was towable by a 3/4 pickup, most are in the dually weight range.
The 31SL will work with a 2500HD if loaded correctly (barely). Any other model will require at least 3500. SRW vs. DRW will start the argument over again (lets don't do that).

BTW I tow my 31SL with a 3500HD
__________________
Larry, Stephanie Park City, Utah
2017 31SL King, 8K axles, Disc Brakes,17.5 Goodyear H tires,BU Camera,5.5 Onan, Heated HT pads, Two Uniguard Awnings, Slide Toppers, 2000w PSW inverter
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
The 31SL will work with a 2500HD if loaded correctly (barely). Any other model will require at least 3500. SRW vs. DRW will start the argument over again (lets don't do that).

BTW I tow my 31SL with a 3500HD
Ok thank you and everyone else for the feedback. Yes I agree we don't need to start any arguments! It's just frustrating seeing a good deal pass by like that! The current owners pull the fifth wheel with the exact same pickup same color/year/options only theirs says 3500 on the side. Bummer
Bughut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mhs4771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,358
Here's my take: It sort of depends on your usage, will you be using it full time? Traveling lots of miles? I wouldn't do it.
If only being used for short trips it can be done, BUT you have to take the responsibility if anything were to happen. There are lots of people pulling things with trucks they shouldn't, but only you can make the decision to do it or not.
A '13 RW is a good buy as the '12 to '14 years are probably the best for production.
Best wishes on what ever you decide.
__________________
Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:14 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Here's my take: It sort of depends on your usage, will you be using it full time? Traveling lots of miles? I wouldn't do it.
If only being used for short trips it can be done, BUT you have to take the responsibility if anything were to happen. There are lots of people pulling things with trucks they shouldn't, but only you can make the decision to do it or not.
A '13 RW is a good buy as the '12 to '14 years are probably the best for production.
Best wishes on what ever you decide.
Well we are planning on full timing in it when the house sells. The reason I'm concerned with the pin weight of the fiver is because my pickuo has the factory air bags. And on the 2500 it's just air bags, no coils or springs. The air suspension I've read disables the compressor with more than 3k lbs of payload I've heard. The only time I've seen it disabled was when I hitched up to the in laws 44 foot tiny home built to spec. It was a mess to say the least! Over 30k lbs and they ended up towing it with a semi lmao. I appreciate the feedback thank you
Bughut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Rick and Mindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,396
The hitch weight on the 2013 RW36FL is 2480lbs. My 2013 31SL is 2160lbs and I can tell you that I had a 2004 Dodge 2500 with diesel when I purchased it and it pulled it just fine but was overweighton the rear axle so I chose to go to a Ford F 350 single rear wheel which is within weight limits for the 31SL but would probably need dually for all other Redwood models to stay within weight limitations. I didn't want to chance pulling overweight and have an accident which could result in who knows what. We really liked the 36FL but didn't want to go to a dually and it does not have as much basement storage. Good luck in your decision.
__________________
Rick and Mindy
Retired
2013 Redwood 31SL, 2011 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7, Crew Cab with Firestone Bags, Titan Disc Brakes
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
XCMARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 237
If the trailer is a great deal , would you consider finding a good used truck to pull it?
__________________
Mark & Melissa
2015 Redwood RL38 , Kodiak disk brakes , 17.5" tires , 8K Morryde IS
XCMARK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:52 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
If the trailer is a great deal , would you consider finding a good used truck to pull it?
Yeah we have thought about it. We have been looking at duallys for a couple days now but the price of pickups these days is crazy! We aren't sure if we want to pay that much per month. We have some talking to do we might buy the coach and have someone haul it home for us it's only 35 miles away. Then sell our 2500 and buy a 3500. That seems to be the plan now. But we are definately buying the Redwood! It's to good of a deal to pass up and it's waaaay to nice.
Bughut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
xtasee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 451
You sound like a very logical person. Maybe you can negotiate with the seller to deliver it.
__________________
Larry, Stephanie Park City, Utah
2017 31SL King, 8K axles, Disc Brakes,17.5 Goodyear H tires,BU Camera,5.5 Onan, Heated HT pads, Two Uniguard Awnings, Slide Toppers, 2000w PSW inverter
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:17 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
You sound like a very logical person. Maybe you can negotiate with the seller to deliver it.
Yeah they are awesome people so I'm sure that won't be a problem. I have a few buddies that have 3500s as well that said they would haul it for us. Just put our 2500 up for sale! It's been a great pickup and we are sad to see it go.
Bughut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:00 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
needing a truck for your 36fl

I know nobody wants a dually but it will make a world of difference on the highway. The semi trailers do not push you around and the stability is awesome. The parking and driving a dually will be a small pain in the butt after awhile. I do not think a 4x4 cc dually will make much difference in mileage from a regular 1 ton. Better to have enough truck and be safe. Also check to see what tires you have on the Redwood
chug
chugsonja@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
Not only is the pulling an issue, but stopping is an issue with the wrong truck. A 3500 dually takes a lot of stress away!
Nocapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×