Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #1

Where is everyone installing the plug in the bed for the 5th wheel? Front, Back, or over the wheel well, and what side is best?

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #2

On our F450, it's located on the drivers side in the bed, under the rail, half way between wheel well and the tailgate. I like it there, as the cord can lay in the bed, instead of worrying about it dragging on the gound.Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #3

Mine is standard factory GM. Located under the bumper by the hitch. Works great. Lots of cord on the TW
Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #4

I had mine installed on the driver side of the bed back by the tailgate. My previous truck it was on the drivers side in front of the rear tire. It worked, but that required me to lean against the truck bed to plug the coach in. Had a few shirts that were dirty from leaning against the truck. If I were to do it over again on another new truck, I'd go back by the tailgate where mine currently is. Easier to plug in and doesn't require leaning against the truck.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #5

I asked around a bit & the RV dealer all recommend the same thing - a plug in the box on the drivers side near the endgate. Seems to work well as far as I am concerned. Just my 2 cents though.
Lawr&Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #6

I installed ours just back of the drivers wheel well.

Lillyputz
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #7

we have two, one just in front of the wheel well on the driver side and one on the bumper adjacent to the license plate
Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

Just don't understand, why you want to pay to put a plug in the box when the one at the back of your truck works just great. No new holes in the box and the cord stays out of the way when you travel. I delivered rv's and I hauled all kinds. The standard plug in the rear was just fine. Never had an issue with any rig. Save your money and buy fuel.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #9

Sometimes you do stuff just to make the "team" happy!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campers
Just don't understand, why you want to pay to put a plug in the box when the one at the back of your truck works just great. No new holes in the box and the cord stays out of the way when you travel. I delivered rv's and I hauled all kinds. The standard plug in the rear was just fine. Never had an issue with any rig. Save your money and buy fuel.

Ours is out of the way of items we put in the bed of the truck.

Lillyputz
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #11

The nice about this spot. No wires in the box and no having to reach around to hook up. Just plug in at the bumper and you are done.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #12

Doesn't your cable constantly rub on the top of the tailgate while towing. My black truck wouldn't like that...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #13

Nope. I have a drop down tailgate mesh. Don't have to open or close tailgate to hook up or un hook. Even when I used the tailgate, no problem. Tailgate has a cap on it.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #14

our truck bed has a bed liner that wraps over the tailgate so the cable, if we hook it up that way, doesn't bother the liner.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #15

Thanks for the good info guys. It's good to know that the cable is long enough on the RW's to go to the rear bumper plug if I need it to. I did get the option for the 5th wheel plug wiring when I ordered my truck. I just have to run the wire up into the bed somewhere and install a new plug to the supplied wiring. I to just have the stock tail gate and don't want to scratch the tail gate from the wiping cable. I might look for a use gate and see what its going to involve in cutting it down to make a notched tailgate. I also have the back up camera in the tailgate that will make it a little more interesting. 2 weeks and counting till pickup!

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #16

Chuck:
When I installed my hitch, I unbundled the harness and if I remember, GM only gives you enough wire length to mount the plug in front of the driver's wheelwell.

I had the louvered, notched tailgate painted same color as truck on my last rig and liked the benefits. But now, I also have the backup camera and not sure it's worth all the retrofit. Once retired, I probably get thattailgate for the towing season, and leave the OEM in the garage for all the other times.
Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #17

Where is everybody mounting the 7pole plug within the box for a gooseneck trailer at. Hitch is put in and memorizing the harness tonight simply attempting to work out the most effective place to place it. I slide lots of stuff in and out of the box therefore wish to create positive its safe.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #18

Put it under the rail of drivers side of the box, half way between the wheel well and the tailgate. That way the cord can just lay in the bed.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote