Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

200 mile Brake inspection

Just called my dealers service department because they obviously were not going to call me about a part that had been ordered since Mothers day weekend when I first purchased out New 38gK. Yes you part is in. Great!! So I ask about the possibility of the 200 mile inspection on the brakes being done while the have it. Duh.... What are you talking about? Was the response I got from the service man. So I explained. He said, well sir I am fairly new here and I will check and see. But i will tell you that we don't do any brake work here. You will have to take your RV to another place for Brake work. Guys I have been very long suffering about all of my issues. But having followed the threads closely I am getting this sinking feeling that I have made a horrible mistake with this purchase. A VERY COSTLY MISTAKE. I am planning on changing out the brakes to disc brakes asap. But in the mean time...... I predict I am not going to have a RW dealer within 250 Miles in a very short time. 😔
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #2

And the standard is...there is no standard!
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #3

Honestly don't think you made a mistake! I truly think RW is better than most all of the others, price & quality. I honestly think that in a couple of weeks that this 200 mile brake BS will go away along with several other changes. When the powers that be are confronted by an entire rv park full of disgruntled owners that are denied warranty on things as serious as brakes. I don't know why lately they've changed their warranty practices, when in the past they were fantastic.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #4

As your dealer how much he enjoys dealing with Redwood on warranties.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott & vicky View Post
as your dealer how much he enjoys dealing with redwood on warranties.
x2 .......
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:40 AM   #6

I'd like to be a fly on the wall & see how many times RW gets the blame when in fact the dealer hasn't bothered to even call. Sorry, but I don't trust the word of most dealerships. My last SOB when in for service & I called to find out any news & the service writer would ask "which unit is yours & what were we doing with it?", doesn't build a lot of confidence. And like car salesmen, if their lips are moving.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-25-2015, 02:45 AM   #7

I agree with travelin Texans. Had an experience with dealer taking too long with unit and blaming Redwood for it. So, I told dealer that I had contacts and numbers at armed wood and would call them. Boy, you should of seen the look on their face. I called a Redwood and found out that dealer had not sent in warranty claim. After a discussion with dealer they sent in claim and it was approved while I was there. Redwood does get a bad rap at times.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:08 AM   #8

I'm the exact opposite, the dealer blamed redwood. So I called Redwood, RW says dealer never called and no claim filed .... So I tell them the prob then call the dealer and do some chewing and tell them to file the claim, none has been filed ... dealer swears they called and filed a request for repair along with dates and who they talked to ..... 10 days goes by, still nothing, I call Redwood again, they say they will call back, two days later I get a call "we have no record of a claim like that on your trailer" ... I say funny I called and the dealer called ... Gave them dates and names ..... RW ... "Oh here it is, I didn't see it before" .... It's the blame game, anything to make the customer go away.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:31 AM   #9

Dealerships???

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I'd like to be a fly on the wall & see how many times RW gets the blame when in fact the dealer hasn't bothered to even call. Sorry, but I don't trust the word of most dealerships. My last SOB when in for service & I called to find out any news & the service writer would ask "which unit is yours & what were we doing with it?", doesn't build a lot of confidence. And like car salesmen, if their lips are moving.
I absolutely agree! the words you used are so typical of what i am experiencing with this dealership. What was told me yesterday was re-enforced today. I took it in for the completion of work that they were unable to complete after having my unit for over a month. They assured me they would call me when the last part arrived. After waiting 4 more weeks with no call I called yesterday. "Oh yessir, (after a 10 min phone wait) your part has arrived. That was yesterday. Now this morning I arrived at 9:30 am and had to explain everything all over again. I ask what the computers were for. Oh we keep all your information on the computer. So they pulled up my name and unit. yeah it was there. but it was like they never look at it. So I walked them around it today again. The j-wrap which had been damaged before I left with it brand new. And has been on order since the monday following Mothers day. Now that it is there. lets fix it. Oh no sir you must understand it will be at least two weeks from today before we get it into a stall to actually work on. REALLY!! IN my way of thinking. This is a new unit already in line. The only reason it was not already completed was because they forgot to order some of the parts. And only after a month and my insistence on I need it did they let me take it still unfinished. Now I am suppose to have to wait an additional 2 weeks in line??? And as far as the 200 mile brake check. LOL They ask me. Are the Brakes working? I said yes. He signed a form on his note book and said ok it is inspected. LOL!!!!! Now ain't that just a awesome inspection.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #10

Dealers are in the business of selling new RVs, service and repair is a side business for most them and not a profit source on the books, kinda like Redwood, they are in the business of selling New Redwoods and have no interest in updating or supporting older models, that is left up to the owner.
The company I work for is the same way, the new product we sell, manufacture and install in customers homes is our main source of revenue, the service depart that takes care of warranty and maintenance is not a profitable group but it is a necessary evil we have to do to support customers. We continue to monitor our warranty calls to make sure it is truly warranty and not customer / contractor damage / abuse that is billable.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #11

Sure would like to hear some encouraging response from ChristianM and Taylor about these issues! I hope they weren't sent to just find out what color of dishes we like with our Godiva interior.

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #12

I think Christian & Taylor have been helpful, previously no one from RW was listening on here, if they've helped one person that's one more than before they showed up. And as I said a couple post ago, wait til after the rally, then see what happens.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #13

In my opinion I think the ladies are here more for marketing then helping with issues, but I do think that they will be able to get messages to the people that need to hear them. I'm with TT let's see what they say at the rally, with over 60 rigs I'm sure it will be a hot topic.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #14

I realize the rally is a "time stamp" per se, but with thousands of RW's on the road, you can see that it is sort of silly to attach any real meaning to "THE RALLY". I know we will probably never be able to go, its a big country, that doesn't mean we don't have a voice. If they start doing some regional rallies, that would be great, but again, it's a big country. These issues must be handled forthwith, and not wait for "THE RALLY". The rally is just one of many resources that RW has access to for gathering product information from owners. This forum and the other forum and owner's group are others. I am sure they are putting them to good use. I just don't want to see any more issues with owners not being able to get support on something they should have until they have a fit and "call the President of the company" and tell them that they better fix it or else. That's not warranty support, it's a FIGHT. It's very disheartening.

***AGAIN*** I have been very pleased with my warranty support from RW. I cannot fault them on it, yet. Having my bearings repacked in about 10 days at my expense, of course. We will be taking a good look at the brakes at that time.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #15

I agree with what you are saying BUT the Rally puts a large number of owns in front of Rw management. The people that got denied warranty by Rw may not have been denied at all but could be dealers just not wanting to fool with it. It's quite obvious Rw don't read this forum because people with 2015 units are complaining about the same things that poeple with 2012 did (are).

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #16

That's certainly true, and a great opportunity for RW to "hear" them. For problems that are ongoing, it's best they go ahead and address them ASAP. They are NEVER going to make everyone happy, and they would go broke trying to. Good communication is key, for sure. As we all know, there are some people who refuse to accept a reasonable fix for anything, and you can never make them happy. This is just human nature, we must all remember to keep this in mind whenever we read about a disgruntled owner. On the other hand, if we see the same issue over and over and over again, then it makes one suspicious. I remain hopeful that RW has this in hand.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have had exemplary service from redwood. My dealer was good at the start and now will not return phone calls. They have also dropped the redwood line after ownership problems
Old 07-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #18

It's very simple to get dealer service ... Go to the dealer on a busy Saturday and hang out in the showroom, when the salesmen take people to look at redwoods follow them out and start telling your story of weeks of waiting for parts and service time once you buy ... Won't take long and somebody with whiskers will be seeing you are taken care of rather quickly ... I had to do that on a toy hauler I bought and after telling 3 potential customers of crap service my trailer got moved to the front of the line and everything got fix, even the things they said weren't covered.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #19

So far my experience with warranty issues has not been good. Luckily for me most of our issues have been minor and I have been able to fix my self. But I have been waiting for a new blind that was noted on the PDI back in Jnauary. I have gotten use to the blind being to short on the window. We have kept track of how many calls and people we have talked to on this right now it is 16 at the dealer and 12 from RW and I have gotten 8 responses saying we will get that right out to you. Yet still no blind. Decided I will call MFG in Ca and just buy the right one less stressful than dealing with RW.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #20

If they are still the shades by Irvine, those people were very pleasant to deal,with when I had to get new brackets for my rear shade.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined