Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #21

Where is a good RV park in Gulf Shores? I will be heading towards Biloxi mid Feb.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
On the news, it looks like the folks in Georgia and Mississippi got whopped.
We lived in north Georgia before we went FT, our daughter is in Athens. It is horrendous there, everything is shut down, there are people trapped on the roads since last night, can't move because of ice on the roads. Really, really BAD!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #23

Snowed again last night. 2 inches and another 7 coming tomorrow. Been minus 22 c here for the last week. COME ON summer
Old 01-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #24

Just got a picture from the folks in Georgia that bought Montana. His house and the Montana are covered in snow and he was out draining pipes.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #25

Was reading about it and saw photographs in the papers, - school kids stuck at school overnight or even slept in buses, short 15 to 16 min commutes taking almost 24 hrs. Just unbelievable.

Certainly gives you a healthy respect for mother nature.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
Was reading about it and saw photographs in the papers, - school kids stuck at school overnight or even slept in buses, short 15 to 16 min commutes taking almost 24 hrs. Just unbelievable.

I think we are spoiled living on the west coast, as the extreme weather is really rare.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #27

71 today in DFW !

but will be 19 tomorrow night they say !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #28

68º in Sarasota right now, tomorrow will be 81º... there is a reason we're down here for the winter!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #29

It was tough here in Indio today, it really struggled to hit 70. Forecast is for a couple of days in the 60's - time to break out jackets.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post

That was all unnecessary. They knew for 3 days that the winter weather was coming. Although they didn't have the equipment for the ice that we do, I'm sure the neighboring states to the north would have helped out if the gov. had worked a deal with them.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #31

You're somewhat right Dave. Being from North Georgia, they should have learned their lesson in 2003 and 2011 when we were shut down for 3-4 days because of ice/snow. Georgia should have made plans and started much earlier getting ready for this most recent fiasco.

The other factor... the people of North Georgia who should have avoided the roads knowing the weather that was coming in. As I said, we lived in Georgia for over 20 years, Georgia doesn't have sufficient snow removal equipment and anyone who has lived there for any time at all knows this. Whenever snow/ice was forecasted most residents plan to hunker down during and after the storm, until the snow melts off of the roads, in 2011 we were in the house for 5 days before we ventured out and then it was only to the local store to resupply.

So, there were many contributing factors in this fiasco, not to say the government officials were not at fault, but it's more complicated than just that. My biggest heartburn was the kids who got stranded in schools...there is absolutely no excuse for that!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
You're somewhat right Dave. Being from North Georgia, they should have learned their lesson in 2003 and 2011 when we were shut down for 3-4 days because of ice/snow. Georgia should have made plans and started much earlier getting ready for this most recent fiasco.

The other factor... the people of North Georgia who should have avoided the roads knowing the weather that was coming in. As I said, we lived in Georgia for over 20 years, Georgia doesn't have sufficient snow removal equipment and anyone who has lived there for any time at all knows this. Whenever snow/ice was forecasted most residents plan to hunker down during and after the storm, until the snow melts off of the roads, in 2011 we were in the house for 5 days before we ventured out and then it was only to the local store to resupply.

So, there were many contributing factors in this fiasco, not to say the government officials were not at fault, but it's more complicated than just that. My biggest heartburn was the kids who got stranded in schools...there is absolutely no excuse for that!!!

I agree, I wouldn't trust the kids anymore to be on the buss for that period of time let alone the discomfort.

My wife sometime teases me because I plan for most disasters and thankfully they usually don't hit. I guess I have problems understanding people that don't do the same.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #33

Dave - read that this morning, one of the Governors has recanted blaming the forecasters and saying they dropped the ball.

I dare most in the Southern states also don't have snow tires and/or chains. Most of us in the Vancouver area are the same. I have never used or felt the need for snow tires, only having all season on the truck and high performance on the Mustang.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #34
Site Team

Nobody here has snow tires either. With the modern radials they really aren't needed. Today we're being hit with 8-11 inches of snow with some ice coming on top of that on Sunday. My dually plows through it like like a tank. I'm only running highway Micheline tires.

I believe that most emergencies are caused by lack of planing. Every emergency should be a learning tool for the next issue coming around the corner. In today's society, everybody is taught to rely on the next guy.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #35

Nothing but staying put and/or chains help when it's ice like we had a while back...
4 wheel or all wheel drive won't help when trying to stop

Had friends the day before it hit were complaining they're shutting down schools and have to deal with finding places for the kids when they go to work... and the next day said whew - glad they did !
DFW was shut down for 3 days !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #36

Smile

And then there's Florida in the winter, today it's 75º and the A/C is on!