Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #21
lwg

I'll never understand the loyalty to Cummins in modern Dodges... While the Cummins of old was a good engine the newest ones are no better than Ford or Chevy. I'd argue that Ford might have the best engine in the current lineup.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
I'll never understand the loyalty to Cummins in modern Dodges... While the Cummins of old was a good engine the newest ones are no better than Ford or Chevy. I'd argue that Ford might have the best engine in the current lineup.
As a long time Cummins owner, the newer Cummins are just as good as the older ones, I'd argue, even better. What information do you have on the newer Cummins that gives you this feeling? FTR, the 6.7 is just an updated Cummins B series, the same as the 5.9. They have had turbos since the late 80's, and have mostly just updated the valve train, and injection pumps. They are still mostly bulletproof, just like the older ones.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #23

Quote:
The Cummins is still a hard engine to beat with excellent down low torque. Regarding overall capability when compared to Ford, however, I'd agree. I see plenty of the Cummins 6.7Ls in our shop and not a single tech will ever tell you
that the current Cummins should be revered. Frankly, regardless of what engine you choose, I firmly believe that the weight class of our RWs have maxed out the capabilities of any of the Big 3. Our next coach will depend on the stopping power of either an MDT or HDT truck.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #24

^All that being said, I'd still classify all 3 big boys as pretty close, and mostly just buyer preference. But, with the durability of Cummins giving Dodge a slight edge. FTR, I am in no way a Dodge fan. I'd buy whatever brand they put the Cummins in.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMN8TER View Post
With the fairly recent option the Aisin transmission starting with 2013s, the Dodge Ram is one heck of a truck with the ability to tow 30K pounds. It's more than I'll ever need!
Happy New Year!
-Jack

although I currently have a Ford and like it (after 30 years of only GM), I would look at the Dodge . I almost bought one in 2011 until I saw that their payload was much lower than what I needed. I think they have that straightened out now. I always liked the idea of that inline 6.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
^All that being said, I'd still classify all 3 big boys as pretty close, and mostly just buyer preference. But, with the durability of Cummins giving Dodge a slight edge. FTR, I am in no way a Dodge fan. I'd buy whatever brand they put the Cummins in.

I agree Jerry! I'm not a fan of Dodge but I like that diesel. Too many of my friends have suffered through electronic issues that seem to plague Dodge.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #27
lwg

Quote:
As a long time Cummins owner, the newer Cummins are just as good as the older ones, I'd argue, even better. What information do you have on the newer Cummins that gives you this feeling? FTR, the 6.7 is just an updated Cummins B series, the same as the 5.9. They have had turbos since the late 80's, and have mostly just updated the valve train, and injection pumps. They are still mostly bulletproof, just like the older ones.
I for one don't care about who did what first, I only care about what's going on right now. For the longest time Saab owners bragged about how they were the first with airbags, ABS, etc. Look where they're at now.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #28

Trucks

Over the years I have come across many discussions about the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge trucks. I have always found these discussions interesting, and at times informative. I have found at times, no mater how a brand places in the reviews (both consumer, and professional), many owners will defend the truck they own. While others, like me, look for the reviews, cost, and options to decide on the product I will buy. I believe all three truck companies put out pretty good trucks. They have to, to be competitive. Which is great for us, the consumer.
Just my opinion.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #29

Quote:
I for one don't care about who did what first, I only care about what's going on right now. For the longest time Saab owners bragged about how they were the first with airbags, ABS, etc. Look where they're at now.
There was nothing in my post referring to who did what, first. If you are referring to my comment about the turbos, I was't referring to them being the first with turbos, but meant it as Dodge has always had their engines turbo'd, and the only changes were in the valve train and an injection pump switch. I was referring to where they are now, in relation to your liking "older Cummins" comment. The new 6.7's are every bit as tough, and durable as the older engines Cummins had.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
Over the years I have come across many discussions about the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge trucks. I have always found these discussions interesting, and at times informative. I have found at times, no mater how a brand places in the reviews (both consumer, and professional), many owners will defend the truck they own. While others, like me, look for the reviews, cost, and options to decide on the product I will buy. I believe all three truck companies put out pretty good trucks. They have to, to be competitive. Which is great for us, the consumer.
Just my opinion.

I think that was pretty well stated
Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #31

One of the problems with all the big three Diesels is the newer regulations requiring more and more electronic / emissions equipment added to the engines.

Just more stuff to go wrong and create reliability problems
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #32

My son currently has an '06 Dodge with 278k miles & still going strong, prior to that he owned an '06 Ford with 148k & was the biggest POS ever. I've had 2 GMCs with 210k collectively & would buy another tomorrow. Fords new 6.7 may very well be the best they've had, but that still puts them 10+ years behind the others.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #33

It never fails...these threads always seem to bring out the riff raff.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #34
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
My son currently has an '06 Dodge with 278k miles & still going strong, prior to that he owned an '06 Ford with 148k & was the biggest POS ever. I've had 2 GMCs with 210k collectively & would buy another tomorrow. Fords new 6.7 may very well be the best they've had, but that still puts them 10+ years behind the others.
The '06 Fords were a mess, no argument there. But as to the 10+ years statement your making my point perfectly. All that matters is today! Who cares how you get here. I won't disagree that all the big 3 have their merits, unfortunately current emissions requirements will likely shorten the lifetime of all the current engines.

I guess I just don't understand brand loyalty in today's economy. I buy Fords because in my opinion they look the best out of the big three inside and out. That being said the latest renditions of both Dodge and Chevy look pretty good from the outside, but I still can't get past their interiors. A ding on the current Ford is the headlight arrangement, I much prefer the front end of the previous model over the current one.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #35

I'm with you lwg!

First of all I didn't even look at Dodge's, my past experiences with Dodge left a terrible taste in my mouth so I just drove by the Dodge dealers. We looked at both Ford and GM and really tried to be objective while comparing although my experiences with GM's electrical systems in the past slightly tainted my objectivity [seems like every other Chevy/GM have issues]. On the Ford side I was concerned with the engine, the new 6.7 was only in it's second year, the GM DuraMax/Allison is a proven drivetrain, Ford was the new guy on the block but the early reports on the 6.7 were very positive.
It was a toss-up, both had positives, both had negatives so it really came down to what I would get for my money...Ford won, there were lots of features I got that I would have had to pay extra for on the GM.

Today there are three good contenders, yes I would even look at the Dodges. All three have much improved models, sure some have more bling than others. One thing that still bothers me though with GM, their recalls and the way they have handled them is not impressive, I'm very disappointed with their management so until the "bow tie" shows me some integrity I'll stay away from them.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
It never fails...these threads always seem to bring out the riff raff.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Old 01-02-2015, 01:07 AM   #37

Sure sounds to me that the Testosterone Level and Chest Pounding are reaching a peak.
Lets face it, we all have our favorite and depending on what you read, say three different reports and each report will put a different brand on top, but if we could get rid of all the crap killing our trucks, we'd all be happier, get better milage and spend less on fuel.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Sure sounds to me that the Testosterone Level and Chest Pounding are reaching a peak.
Lets face it, we all have our favorite and depending on what you read, say three different reports and each report will put a different brand on top, but if we could get rid of all the crap killing our trucks, we'd all be happier, get better milage and spend less on fuel.
Exactly. As I stated, all 3 are very close, then you have someone make a remark degrading others.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 AM   #39

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Do you people not have anything better to do
Religion
Pickups and politics all end up with the same results
Old 01-02-2015, 01:53 AM   #40

Quote:
Exactly. As I stated, all 3 are very close, then you have someone make a remark degrading others.
Apparently, someone has difficulty seeing sarcasm, even when an emoticon is used. Relax Jerry, it's all in good fun.