Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #1
Site Team

New Tiffin Soon

Well......I got offered a heck of a deal on a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH today. My wife and I have discussed this and decided if they give us the same percentage off on the Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP we're going to take it. The bus is more money but it has some features we really want.

I'm surprised and insulted with the varying offers from the RV dealers. They have varied by $25,000- $45,000 on the identical units. I almost gave up until I hit "pay dirt" today. Now we have to see if the banker agrees.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #2

Good luck Dave!! Just as well spring for a new Cadillac to tow behind it. My father in law always said it only cost a 100% more to go 1st class.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
Site Team

Several years ago while in a Rotary meeting I was sitting next to a very successful business owner. I was telling him I couldn't sleep at night due to the mountain of debt that I had acquired in my business with more zeros than a Japanese air force. He laughed and said "you'll learn". He said that debt is simply numbers as long as you can cover the payments. He had several very wealthy friends die and the kids enjoyed the money that they had saved and it usually ruined the kids. This guy told me he was 12 million in debt and I about fell out of the chair I was sitting in.

My wife and I have worked harder than most and in fact last fall my kids couldn't believe I finally took the time to attend my first concert. Around Thanks Giving of 2012 I heard the word "cancer" come out of a doctors mouth and I couldn't believe my ears....I was always the healthy one. Yes even workaholics like my wife and I can decide to slow down a little. I doubt we'll ever actually retire but we're sure going to have fun. In the end I'll say "Yep we did that".
Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
Site Team

To second what Dave said, I've been self employed for almost 30 years. If you're going to do that, you need to be optimistic and a "glass half full" person. There have been many months where it was the 25th and I didn't have a clue where the mortgage was coming from. You just have to believe.

Will I leave a bunch of money to the kids ? Nope, but they know that and they're both successful and I know they wouldn't trade a lot of the stuff we did as they were growing up.

With any luck, we may also be "Bus drivers" .........
Old 08-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #5

Whether you're a glass half full person or a glass half empty person doesn't matter !!

Both allows for more wine in the glass
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Whether you're a glass half full person or a glass half empty person doesn't matter !!

Both allows for more wine in the glass
Some days I think the bottle approach is the way to go! Why pour the wine into a glass half full or half empty when you can skip a step and pour it direct?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #7

Congrats! The Tiffin Bus is a dream coach IMHO! Tiffin knows the meaning of customer care so I'm sure you will be "Happy Campers". No reason you can't get the same discount on a bigger optioned buss over a phaeton. FWIW I was always told a cash price is about 24-26% off MSRP on upper end coaches. When we bought ours we weren't able to find that much discount but ours wasn't that high end model either.

And I'm with Rick, I prefer to drink right from the bottle!
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #8

Congratulations Dave and Ginny!

You have to continuously experience some of the bucket list before you get there, because without notice you can get hit by the bus rather than retire driving one
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #9

When I was eligible to retire in 2012, even though I had planned on working a few years more, I told the wife we were going to do what we planned, now was the time to do it. We sold the house and went full time. Did it for 12 years and never looked back. Told the kids just like I told my mother when she thought she had to save some for us. If we haven't made it by now, nothing she could save for us would help. We now have to change our lifestyle, but we enjoyed what we did.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #10

Hope all goes well Dave and Ginny. I never looked back but learned from my many mistakes. I look at it this way if you have contributed all your life and never hurt anyone in the process you deserve the breaks that life has to offer. We have all felt the pinches of finance especially the self employed and still we move forward finding a new route to help us survive. Rodger and Cheryl and all the rest are right...never look back plus it never hurts to apologize when wrong and perform an occasional simple act of kindness.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Well......I got offered a heck of a deal on a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH today. My wife and I have discussed this and decided if they give us the same percentage off on the Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP we're going to take it. The bus is more money but it has some features we really want.

I'm surprised and insulted with the varying offers from the RV dealers. They have varied by $25,000- $45,000 on the identical units. I almost gave up until I hit "pay dirt" today. Now we have to see if the banker agrees.
I can see you with a jeep pull behind, take it easy when you blow past our Redwoods.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:33 AM   #12
Dan

Dave I found there is more to life than just work. I looked around and found way too many people we know with poor health and we decided that we had better start enjoying life, so we decided that when I turned 60 that was that. Well I decided to retire last Dec and the goal was go and do as much as we can until 70 and then see how we feel and maybe giver another 5 or 10
Told the kids, there should, hopefully be enough to bury us and if there happens to be any left over the put it on the bar

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:15 AM   #13

Dan
Sounds almost verbatim to what we told our kids. My family doesn't have a history of longevity so we are trying to make most of what we have left. Fortunately retirement lower the stress level & blood pressure.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #14

Ya, they weren't counting my family or anybody I know when they started pushing out the retirement dates because we are all so "healthy"
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #15
Site Team

We just got back from the Entegra factory tour. Since we've been at the rally we've been able to tour both Newmar and Entegra. We're very impressed with the Entegra and have ruled the Tiffin out after talking with several owners with long waits for small fixes.