Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Site Team

New Competition

It was released today that Forrest River will soon be releasing a new upper end 5th wheel. It does have some features that could up the competition of future 5th wheels.

Standard:

8k dexter axles
Power management system (very over due)
3 inch sidewalls
100 amp converter

I used to have a Forrest River product and wasn't happy with their customer service but this new trailer should stir things up.

Let the race begin
Old 08-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
It was released today that Forrest River will soon be releasing a new upper end 5th wheel. It does have some features that could up the competition of future 5th wheels.

Standard:

8k dexter axles
Power management system (very over due)
3 inch sidewalls
100 amp converter

I used to have a Forrest River product and wasn't happy with their customer service but this new trailer should stir things up.

Let the race begin
The main thing that sets Mobile Suites ahead also is the wall thickness and the Morryde Independent Suspension. Looked at the 44 Houston.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Thats an odd wall size, i wonder if they are hung walls.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #4

The FR Cedar Creek we had was nice enough for an '02 model, but it towed like I was dragging an anchor, very heavy feeling.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:35 AM   #5

I had a FR toy hauler, wouldn't own another FR product as long as I live.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #6

BRING IT ON!! (Sorry, I've been waiting for an excuse to use that smiley for a long time )
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianM View Post
BRING IT ON!! (Sorry, I've been waiting for an excuse to use that smiley for a long time )
LOL Christian:-)
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianM View Post

I like that one too.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #9

Dave was right, Forest Rivers' new Riverstone is out. I drive past one at International RV of Elkhart several days per week. Looked it up and they did decent job putting it together. 8k axles, disc brakes, 17.5" H rated tires, surge protector wired, waste management system, 2 battery trays that hold 2 - 12 volt batteries each, Water manifold system, 6 point auto level, Easy access to inverter, hydraulic pump and reservoir for brakes. 1,000 watt wall heater in the bedroom, 50/50 stainless kit sink, 60" shower, 3 1/4" thick side walls even in the slide outs, 32" entry door, 4 step Aluminum entry steps, Rear View Camera, Residential refer, Induction cooktop, 2 - 40LB propane tanks, Lazy Boys, Tankless Water heater, Alumagard topped awnings, R16 value in walls, R38 in roof and floor, Bose system, electric cord reel and more. More competition like this will drive Redwood to up theirs also. only saw 4 for sale on rvtrader.com and there is a 17 minute video out there on youtube.

I will stick with our 36RL for now, We still Love it!

Chris and Maria
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #10

Had some hours to kill in Dallas waiting for a plane, so Dory and I visited Explore USA to look at a 38RL. Redwood does a nice job, nice new features. I looked a 2016 38FB as well, pretty cool. It had the 3 ACs (the salesman didn't know that ) and power management, and also the butler pantry with electric wine cooler in lieu of the 1/2 bath. Nice touch. It also had the tall roof, which I'm just not sure had a purpose. Because of the height, the walls come in on you a bit and you feel like you're in a semi-trailer when sitting down in the back.

Redwood HAS to pick a different path with that entry door!! As soon as I opened it and felt the resistance it gave me the heeby geebies (the feeling I get when something aint right) and it reminded me of all the trouble folks are having with them separating from the wall. It stopped any thought I had of upgrading until that problem goes away for good. Cmon Redwood, nothing worse on the first impression than a door that feels like its been sitting is saltwater too long or that it is sprung. I'm fine the wind banging my door open........
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:36 AM   #11

Just watch the you tube video.........it has some features I liked, but nothing that gave me that wow factor. In time we all mold our campers to our needs and personality. The few features I saw that I liked I can always later add to my RW.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:26 AM   #12
Site Team

It's refreshing to see that a manufacture has been following this forum.....too bad it was Redwood's competition. This trailer looks to solve many issues that the Redwood owners have complained about and they jumped the gun on others that are just plain smart.

#1 batteries you can maintain past the age of 40
#2 a water manifold for those pesky leaks
#3 heavy axles STANDARD
#4 larger wheels STANDARD ( I wonder who makes their tires?)
#5 the hydraulic pump that is eye level
#5 4 batteries on sliding trays (what a noble idea)
#6 40# LP bottles both on the same side and standard (why run back and fourth)

IMPROVEMENTS INCLUDE
Mid-ship turn signals
3 1/2 inch walls
Electric heater in the bedroom (smart)
aluminum steps (easier on the back)
Wider door
Back up camera
Tankless hot water heater (I worry about this due to water quality)

The only thing I saw I didn't like was the covers on the hot water heater, furnace and electrical cord reel were painted black. This can be good and bad. In this case the accent on the trailer was black so it didn't look that bad and if you ever have to replace one it would be easily done without matching stripes of paint. On the other hand it doesn't look as classy.

I wonder if they solved any of the roof problems (something other than rubber or vinyl). And I wonder about the frame. Overall.......that unit is going to cost Redwood some sales. Come on Redwood wake up and join the race. Redwood is a good product (in my opinion) and they're the ones that started the race to begin with.....too bad they chose to stay in the pits. With a little nudging they could come back out to the track and take the flag. Just my opinion
Old 12-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Dave.........well said and I agree. I appears that Forest River's engineering and design team has been giving some real thought to their design efforts. The only thing I would add is.......what is Forest River's level of quality control and customer service. If those are in the range of "High to Excellent", then they could have a real winner.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Dave.........well said and I agree. I appears that Forest River's engineering and design team has been giving some real thought to their design efforts. The only thing I would add is.......what is Forest River's level of quality control and customer service. If those are in the range of "High to Excellent", then they could have a real winner.

Guy
Our prior 5th wheel was an 07 Forest River Cardinal 34QS. Quality control was good & we only had a few minor warranty issues in the beginning which were taken care of. Clearcoat on the front cap began to deteriorate & we did have a leak on the bottom of the kitchen slide which we were going to get taken care of before we decided to trade for our Redwood, but all in all we were very happy with our Cardinal (Forest River).
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #15

Can't speak for the quality but, WOW! I agree with Dave, it looks to me like they have addressed many of the recurring issues on this forum. My guess is the price, after negotiations, will be around the same price as the Redwood. I don't like the carpet, I prefer a plush residential carpet and I don't think the appearance of the interior has quite the wow factor that Redwood has but with a few improvements they would definitely gain my interest. The question will be whether or not it would be better to make those changes to the Redwood or make a total change with the Forest River. Right now, I'm thinking more of making changes to my Redwood, and that is subject to change the next time I have to get on my knees to check the batteries,
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
Site Team

I still believe Redwood is a good product but........

When I came across Redwood I had just eliminated the idea of buying a new Carriage. Redwood was new and the appeal was that they were listening to the customers and dealing with new ideas. In talking with Tom and Andy (general and sales manager). They knew that they were starting something new that would require them staying in the lead or get ran over. Redwood was one of the first if not the first to offer full body paint at that particular price point and a rear hitch, larger tanks, more real looking wood and the list goes on and on. Definitely it was an industry changer which made all the other manufactures squirm in their sleep.

The Forrest River product isn't perfect but at least they're listening to the people that they're marketing to....the seniors. I hope Redwood follow suits and focuses on the important stuff rather than more glitz and glitter. Don't get me wrong, those LED lights look cool under the counter tops. With enough adult drink, late at night while cocking your head just right and squinting one eye..... it might actually look like something from outer space. BUT after being on my hands and knees crawling around in the mud or gravel to do routine maintenance on a battery.....the counter top can come right back to earth in the form of Formica in my opinion.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #17

I may be wrong ,( ask my DW ) but it looks like the new Riverstone only has 3 available options . . .

#1- 3rd AC
#2 - Trail Air Ride Pin Box
#3 - 2nd 12' Power Awning

Everything else in standard..! That's the way to offer quality ! And like already stated , I wonder what tires they are running??

I can just say that I was turned off by my phone conversation with the folks at Forest River when we were looking real hard at the Cedar Creeks and Cardinals... They even went as far as to tell me that they only give the China bombs with no Good Year options because Good Year Derated their G614's down to the same levels...?? ...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #18

I bought a used '02 Cedar Creek (by Forest River) & even used it was a very well built quality unit, only downside for me was it towed like I was dragging anchor all the time, felt very heavy but wasn't. Actually kept looking at CC til we decided on the R W.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #19

They are using Goodyear tires.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #20

RIVERSTONE Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV