Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #21

As I mentioned above, most truck and trailer spring companies will have them in stock. Easy to get, and inexpensive to buy. Not so easy to get from RV dealers, and they will probably go to the spring shop and buy them anyway.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #22

Ours was 24 7/8 eye to eye for our 2014 36rl on a 7,000 lb. axle. 6 leaf spring. Assuming all Redwoods are same?
Grannadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #23

Mine had 6 leafs, now has 8.
I had 2 different truck mechanic shops verify that the original springs were flat. My guess, these spring were in a position to break soon & not providing any travel benefit to the trailer.
Redwood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #24

I just found a broken spring on my 2013 38BR. Rear spring broke just before the wet bolt.
I did not have time to check the rest of them but will when I go back to the trailer on Monday. I have SAL Extended Warranty so the repair is covered with a $50 deductable.

Weight posted on sticker in RW 14,700lbs
Scale weight in Kgs:
Trailer & Truck Weights
Front Axle: 2110
Rear Axle: 3050
Trailer: 5525
Total: 10685
Old 08-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #25

I paid $52 USD for the spring pack at a local (to the failure) spring shop. It is a commonly used set that the shop seaid is too light for our trailers. Caused a blowout when it failed.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax View Post
I just found a broken spring on my 2013 38BR. Rear spring broke just before the wet bolt.
I did not have time to check the rest of them but will when I go back to the trailer on Monday. I have SAL Extended Warranty so the repair is covered with a $50 deductable.

Weight posted on sticker in RW 14,700lbs
Scale weight in Kgs:
Trailer & Truck Weights
Front Axle: 2110
Rear Axle: 3050
Trailer: 5525
Total: 10685
Have you replaced the original/factory so called wet bolts? If not that's most likely the reason for the break, once the plastic bushing deteriorates the spring eyes no longer twist on the dry bolt so something has to give.
My originals would not take grease & in about 5000 miles the plastic bushing were toast so I upgraded to the MorRyde heavy shackles with wet bolts with bronze bushings & 50-60k miles later still good shape & ALL of the wet bolts now take grease easily.
Any RW owner that has not done so I would highly recommend doing the heavy shackle wet bolt bronze bushing upgrade, don't wait til it breaks, do it now.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Any RW owner that has not done so I would highly recommend doing the heavy shackle wet bolt bronze bushing upgrade, don't wait til it breaks, do it now.
Is the MORyde HD wet bolt and shackle kit universal, and do you have a part number for the kit?
Iceman1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #28

They go by the length of the shackles from bolt center to center, mine were 3 1/8" & I don't have the part number handy, but MorRyde is very helpful. The kit comes with bolts, shackles & enough bronze bushings to replace all even on the equalizer & I still have a couple spares. It was about a 4 1/2 hour project with the first side taking about 2 1/2 hours to figure out the best plan. With a jack, hand tools & a large C clamp it wasn't to difficult of a project & money well spent. As I said, in 5000 miles the plastic bushings were toast, the bolts wouldn't take grease, & the shackles had already start to elongate to bolt holes.
Supposedly RW started putting bronze bushings in the '15-16 models & not the plastic ones, but I wouldn't wager two cents on that being true.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #29

I don't know if I have the bronze bushings or not. I do have wet boots and they accept grease, and my suspension does not creak or pop anything like our Montana did. If bushings are bad, does that cause more of the horrific suspension sounds I hear when people are pulling in or out of the campground?

Paul & Tracy
2015 Redwood 38RL
2016 Ford F-350 6.7L CCLB KR DRW
1958 Rainbow TT (1958rainbow.blogspot.com)
1924 Ford Model T
Iceman1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #30

Our 2015 38RL had the Plastic bushing with grease fittings they were toast at less than 5000 miles also. I replaced with Moryde HD shackles and wet bolts and also added the SRE 4000 while I was at it. This made a Dramatic difference on the ride of the trailer. My next project in the spring will be the Disk Brakes. Looking at the install I am thinking with my friends help we can do our selves.

That is unless my DW decides she wants to switch to a DP motorhome she keeps looking at the new Tiffin's. Guess she has some money she is not telling me about cause they are little expensive for me.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman1777 View Post
Is the MORyde HD wet bolt and shackle kit universal, and do you have a part number for the kit?

I installed the Mor/Ryde SRE-4000 and Heavy Duty Shackles Kit in August 2015 on my 2012 Redwood 36RL. At the time the best price I could find was at Dyers RV. I would recommend contacting Mor/Ryde to make sure you get the correct shackles kit for your axle configuration on your coach. This was an excellent upgrade for my Redwood. The following link will show the shackles kit P/N that I installed:

MOR/Ryde SRE/4000 Suspension System for 33" Wheelbase Tandem Axle Trailers - Suspension Upgrades - Steering, Suspension, and Trac Bars - Towing & Automotive

When I removed the original nylon bushings, they came out in shreds. They should not be put on a 1000 lbs. utility trailer and for sure not on a 16000 lbs. 5th wheel.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suspension Upgrade 14.jpg (317.1 KB, 12 views)

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #32

Lippert and Redwood were telling me 1 thing.... Morryde gave me a worksheet and told me to go off that... At the end of the day, it was the Morryde size that was the winner..

The funny thing is that Redwood and Lippert were going off my FRAME TAG ...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:13 AM   #33

Hey Danny,
Spring will be here soon... seriously considering replacing everything but the axles.
I can probably assume the springs, wetbolts, u bolts, and shackles are all brittle or stressed.
Do Moryde offer everything I need so long as I get springs locally and replace everything from the frame down excluding the axles?
Coach is in an RV park so this will be a project over a day or two with blocking and jackstands to augment leveling jacks for support and safety.
I assume I will have to do an axle alignment once this is all done.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax View Post
Hey Danny,
Spring will be here soon... seriously considering replacing everything but the axles.
I can probably assume the springs, wetbolts, u bolts, and shackles are all brittle or stressed.
Do Moryde offer everything I need so long as I get springs locally and replace everything from the frame down excluding the axles?
Coach is in an RV park so this will be a project over a day or two with blocking and jackstands to augment leveling jacks for support and safety.
I assume I will have to do an axle alignment once this is all done.
As far as I know they should have everything you need. The spring shop may have the new u bolts. More Rydes heavy shackle kit comes with everything else you've listed, just provide existing shackle lengths center of wet to center of wet bolt. Also if the alignment on your axles was ok before it shouldn't change by replacing the items you mentioned, unless you think they've gotten bent or twisted.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #35

I installed the suspension upgrade Mor/Ryde SRE-4000 last year. Great addition to original setup.
I lost a leaf spring in January on the way down to Florida. Ended up replacing springs on just the one side in order to get me to my final destination. Ordered the 2 other springs from trailer.com. The installer went to use the old u-bolts which is not desirable and they turned out to be to short with the new leaf springs. This would indicate the material of the original leaf springs is less than the new ones. Will confirm this when replacing the remaining 2 leaf springs.

Gerard & Dale
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:39 AM   #36

I just replaced the springs, just because (I seem to think they were about $36 each x 4) I was there installing SRE4000 with the cross brace and the Mor/ryde heavy duty shackle straps w/ wet bolts. My existing springs had wet bolts w/ nylon bushings, and they were in good shape, surprisingly after about 15k miles on the rig at the time. I now have 1100 miles since the upgrade ride seems awesome and things inside the rig seem to stay put, and roller shades stay down. I forgot, I also upgrade the pin box, removed the Rota-flex and install the Trail Air Flex Air.