Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #1

Interesting article - others are noticing :-)

What say you ?

Opinion: The RV industry death spiral – Part 1 | RV Daily Report
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Not sure about the industry going away. That said, it certainly needs to change. That will only happen when people refuse to buy poor quality. Unfortunately, too many people only worry about the bottom line. Then they complain about the quality.

Mark
Old 08-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

I'm assuming a fairly large percentage of the $16.5M spent by advertisers is spent on selling the RV lifestyle. They've been extremely successful at it since only a small percentage of RV owners actually get to camp in a site where there are no other sites in close proximity and the views of crystal clear lakes and mountains are in the background. Give me a break. The responsibility for this fiasco sits almost entirely on the shoulders of the consumer. One of the greatest attributes of capitalism is that you can speak with your wallet. The fact that RVers as a group are too ignorant to realize they possess one of the greatest gifts our founding fathers could have given us, the power of the purse, is completely distressing.

I know a certain member of the ROG had a meeting with Redwood management during the Rally. It's time for deeds, not words. Redwood's establishment of a PDI facility is a step in the right direction. I hope it continues.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:56 AM   #4

Spindrift, what are you suggesting? I am on board. I am beyond ready to join the ranks for action. Totally ticked at the bill of goods I was sold.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #5

Met a couple in Joliet IL on Sunday with a brand new Sequioa they bought from Tiara one month ago.
They have issues with trim falling off, bedroom AC does not work and basement flooded in a rain storm.

They are full timers... husband is a heavy equipment operator on a pipeline job working 6 days a week.

They have called Tiara several times to try to get things looked at. Were told AC would be looked at in 2-3 months. Now Tiara will not return their phone calls or e-mails...

I gave them the Redwood Customer Support number and wife called yesterday to try and get some help from Chris. She was told to come to the Service Center... they would not let her talk to anyone about any other options.

Driving to the Service Center to get their rig looked at is not a realistic option at this time.

I heard a promise at the Rally from the President and I told these folks Redwood would help when their dealer would not... so far things are not looking good.

Anyone have any suggestions...
Old 08-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
Spindrift, what are you suggesting? I am on board. I am beyond ready to join the ranks for action. Totally ticked at the bill of goods I was sold.
I'm not suggesting anything other than the power being in the purse and until consumers use that power, we'll continue to see a large amount of crap coming out of RV manufacturing facilities. Senior management told folks at last year's Rally that QC was a concern. It was the topic of conversation again at this year's Rally. Supposedly, RW has established an "independent" PDI facility. If that's the case, that's a good thing and maybe a sign that RW "gets it". As always, time will tell.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax View Post
Met a couple in Joliet IL on Sunday with a brand new Sequioa they bought from Tiara one month ago.
They have issues with trim falling off, bedroom AC does not work and basement flooded in a rain storm.

They are full timers... husband is a heavy equipment operator on a pipeline job working 6 days a week.

They have called Tiara several times to try to get things looked at. Were told AC would be looked at in 2-3 months. Now Tiara will not return their phone calls or e-mails...

I gave them the Redwood Customer Support number and wife called yesterday to try and get some help from Chris. She was told to come to the Service Center... they would not let her talk to anyone about any other options.

Driving to the Service Center to get their rig looked at is not a realistic option at this time.

I heard a promise at the Rally from the President and I told these folks Redwood would help when their dealer would not... so far things are not looking good.

Anyone have any suggestions...
We are contacting this couple to see how we can help. If you are not getting a good response, please reach out to us directly. Anything we are able to do, we will.
RedwoodRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodRV View Post
We are contacting this couple to see how we can help. If you are not getting a good response, please reach out to us directly. Anything we are able to do, we will.

Well there you go gang ! . . that's the first I have seen a response like this on here.. I like it!
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #9

It was an anonymous response, but it's at least a factory response so that's a good start.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:12 PM   #10

Most of the time these responses don't seem to last as time passes.

Mark
Old 08-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #11

I think that if these CEO were paying about the equivalent of one years salaries for some thing 1/3 the square feet they could buy a sticks and bricks for and had to move out of there house and not live in it. They would be a little upset. Then when they called the contractor and he said I did not make the pipes that broke in your house I only put them in. I am not going to fix those. Looking at the pipes ar part of maintaining a house. You should have been watching those. Besides how are we to know that those pipes didn't freeze. Okay, Okay I will send a laborer out to look and fix it. He may not fix it right but it will be fixed for now. Hell no we art going to sent a real plumber. If you want it fixed right you pay for it yourself.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #12

I for one prefer to view their presence as a good thing for all of us. They stepped into the middle of this with eyes wide open. Let them do the job they came to do.
Pete385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Redwood management told us at the rally that they will be monitoring the forums. It looks like they have started which is great for all of us. We have not had this since Christian left.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Redwood management told us at the rally that they will be monitoring the forums. It looks like they have started which is great for all of us. We have not had this since Christian left.
Yes, but some of us may be somewhat skeptical since we've seen and heard this before.
I am, however, thinking positive, after all, I believe this is at least the 3rd management changeover since I purchased my Redwood in January of 2013, sooner or later Redwood may get it right!...........fingers crossed!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #15

Only time well tell, so I vote to give them a chance and see they can walk the walk, we already know they can talk the talk.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
Yes, but some of us may be somewhat skeptical since we've seen and heard this before.
I am, however, thinking positive, after all, I believe this is at least the 3rd management changeover since I purchased my Redwood in January of 2013, sooner or later Redwood may get it right!...........fingers crossed!
X2...however, the fact that they won't provide a name makes me think, "Here we go again."
Old 08-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #17

Not so concerned about no name.
That way when it changes there is no change 😀 And/ or multiple people can respond
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #18

Talk about interesting, has anyone seen the adds for the latest from Heartland?? They have a NEW feature called "Slide in a Slide", breaking news, WOW. Guess no one has ever heard of Redwood RVs.
I know we're both Thor children, but come on, Slide in a Slide has been avail in our RWs for a few years now.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Talk about interesting, has anyone seen the adds for the latest from Heartland?? They have a NEW feature called "Slide in a Slide", breaking news, WOW. Guess no one has ever heard of Redwood RVs.
I know we're both Thor children, but come on, Slide in a Slide has been avail in our RWs for a few years now.
I was just all over their website , darn if I can find it listed anywhere?? I did see the article about it on the Road Warrior . . .But that's it ?
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 PM   #20

I just looked at the Heartland slide in a slide it looks the same as our 38RL. Imagine that LOL