Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas861 View Post
We were previous Cedar Creek owners, a 38CKTS. Our front and rear caps were already badly faded after less that two years. Beyond that it served us well but it's no Redwood.

We have a friend in the RV business and were passing his place yesterday and stopped in to say hello. They had a Cedar Creek Champaigne edition in stock. We checked it out and the wife really liked the bathroom in it. The rest of it was nice but again....it's no Redwood. I did like the 60in tv though !

They also had a Riverstone in stock. Forest River's new entry into the luxury 5th wheel market. It was nice but I'll stick with my new Redwood...

Our friend has seen our Redwood and says it's better than anything that they sell.
We were looking at Cedar Creeks last year , and earlier this year.. What turned me off mostly were 2 things - I called Forest River specifically to ask a few questions...
1- are the caps painted and cleared ? The dealer told me yes... Forest River said no.. no need to paint them.

2- why no options for the goodyear 614's ? He told me that Goodyear derated the tire , no need to offer something when the China tire can deliver ?

This was from the factory , not the dealer... I was turned off.... But I am glad I was BECAUSE THEN I STUMBLED ONTO A REDWOOD !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
We were looking at Cedar Creeks last year , and earlier this year.. What turned me off mostly were 2 things - I called Forest River specifically to ask a few questions...
1- are the caps painted and cleared ? The dealer told me yes... Forest River said no.. no need to paint them.

2- why no options for the goodyear 614's ? He told me that Goodyear derated the tire , no need to offer something when the China tire can deliver ?

This was from the factory , not the dealer... I was turned off.... But I am glad I was BECAUSE THEN I STUMBLED ONTO A REDWOOD !

I guess I should have taken some photos of mine and sent them to Forest River. As I said, the front and rear caps on ours looked bad and were steadily worsening. I figured the dealer that took it as a trade on our Redwood would not be happy with them looking that way. We asked if they were going to correct it and they said no, would sell it as is. Otherwise it was a very clean unit. They seemed to have a buyer within a couple weeks of completing our sale. In fact we think we saw it the other day on the road between Austin and Houston, the front and rear caps looked pretty familiar. Our particular model had one of those upgraded paint packages. But after buying it on closer inspection we found paint overspray issues all over the unit. We did end up taking photos of these and emailing to a suggested contact at Forest River.....I never heard one word back from them.

Our Cedar Creek did come from the factory with the Goodyear G614s. This is one of the things that disappointed me about our Redwood. Perhaps I should have been more proactive about negotiating a better tire with the Redwood dealer when we purchased. I fully expect to replace the current tires in the next year or so, if not sooner if any signs of trouble start to appear. The Goodyear's were excellent.

Since this is a thread about the Houston show, I'll add this. The 38CKTS we purchased was on the show floor in Houston in 2013. We saw it there and spent a lot of time in it, but didn't purchased it until the week after.

Since we were "burned" with paint issues on the Cedar Creek, the full body paint on the Redwood was an attraction for me. I've mentioned in the past how we would see Redwood's in RV parks and on the road and it always struck my how they all looked brand new and really attractive. We were smarter buyers this time and spent more time covering the outside and found several paint flaws on the 38RL we bought. Actually the eagle eyed wife found most of them. Considering what we paid for the Redwood, we were going to be sure they fixed these flaws before signing the paperwork. We took delivery with the paint issues and several other "we owe" items from the walk thru and hit the road for a two week "shakedown" of the 38RL with the understanding that when done were were headed straight back to the dealership with the unit to have those items corrected along with any others we might find while we were on the road with it. We did find a few more small issues on the trip and returned with a list and left the Redwood with them on December 10th. That's the last we've seen of our new 5th wheel. To be fair, we told them we had no trips planned in the near term but we hoped to be at the Texas regional rally in March and now I'm wondering if we will have it back by then. We are probably going to drive down to the dealership tomorrow so we can speak to them face to face and see where they are at.

Thomas and Shana
R.I.P. Skip. We miss you old boy. Our travels will never be the same....

2015 Redwood 38RL
2013 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4WD DRW
thomas861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:16 AM   #23

That is good news, a Redwood dealer in Houston, finally. I attended the Houston RV show last Thursday as well promoting an rv dealer travel club we belong too. Looking around and seeing all the different models and such, well, when you already own a Redwood in my opinion everything else just seems to not compare with the quality, design, and layout of what I currently have except perhaps the DVR and Landmark which where at the show. I didn't see anything there I was ready to jump on and or make a change.
That should be good for the Redwood brand, a dealer in Houston, fourth largest city in the nation, largest city in the south according to Google. The RV show here gets a lot of traffic. Wednesdays and the weekends the busiest. There is also a couple of other shows, hunting and fishing, which showcase RVs as well throughout the year and plus the fact RVing and camping can be pretty much ongoing year around here as well. No snow or ice this year it's been a pretty mild winter.
Pullrite 18K Autoslide
Mega Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyEcooper View Post
I can shed some light on the reason for no Redwoods in the Houston RV Show.

Up until 2016, we (Texas) has had only two dealers. ExploreUSA with currently 8 locations through out the state....and CCRV who is located in Corpus Christi.

The Houston RV Show is for 'Houston area dealers only'.

ExploreUSA is currently building a new location in the Houston area but will not be open until around late spring if everything goes like they anticipate. Thus, no Redwoods in the Houston Show.

Next year.... you will see LOTS of Redwoods in the show. No doubt about it! YEA ExploreUSA and Redwood!

Lady E Cooper

Was just about to let them know about the new Explorer location coming in Houston! Thanks, Lady E!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote