Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 04:05 AM   #1

Follow up on first camping adventure

It was awesome. We went to a state park with full hook ups and spent four wonderful days relaxing. We did find a few minor issues with our RW, but nothing concerning. We are very eager to go on our next adventure.
Another thing that I am thrilled about is the joy and ease of driving my 5th wheel. I have had three class A's before this 5th wheel, and they at times were very tiring to drive with wind, large trucks, road ruts. I would seldom use the cruise control because even the slightest incline would cause it to gear down to the point I feared the engine would blow. It would red line. Now with my 5th wheel and Chevy diesel DRW it is a dream to drive. I set the cruise sit back and drive with two fingers on the wheel. I could drive all day, and not be tired like I was with my class A's.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #2

Wink

Dan...... just curious, did you have diesel pusher class A's ? Never owned one but we looked at them to "possibly" replace our Cardinal 5er before deciding on our (on order 39MB) Redwood. I just couldn't justify the initial HIGH cost, taxes, maintenance, etc. for an RV not going to be used for full timing. The thought of owning one was VERY enticing to us (& a dream) but reality set in especially when we saw our Redwood model at the Richmond RV show in February........it had all of the room (and more) minus some of the glitz of the Thor "Tuscanny" diesel pusher that we "dreamt about" at a more "reasonable" price. Now if I had $$$$$ to spare ...... ??
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
Dan...... just curious, did you have diesel pusher class A's ? Never owned one but we looked at them to "possibly" replace our Cardinal 5er before deciding on our (on order 39MB) Redwood. I just couldn't justify the initial HIGH cost, taxes, maintenance, etc. for an RV not going to be used for full timing. The thought of owning one was VERY enticing to us (& a dream) but reality set in especially when we saw our Redwood model at the Richmond RV show in February........it had all of the room (and more) minus some of the glitz of the Thor "Tuscanny" diesel pusher that we "dreamt about" at a more "reasonable" price. Now if I had $$$$$ to spare ...... ??
No, never had a diesel pusher. All my class A's were gassers. I'm sure a diesel would drive better than a gasser. They are heavier and have a longer wheel base.
But like you said, I too couldn't justify the additional cost of owing a diesel pusher.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #4

...and when you are idling you don't have to listen to all the wine glasses rattling in the back! Maybe not with the gassers, but those diesel pushers at idle are like a continuous earthquake.

I'm with Rosy - every time I look at a Class A I want one as it would mean a lot less hassle for the DW and I, but I don't want the associated maintenance. Someday....we have too many toys and too many drivers and it would be nice to consolidate everyone in one cab in the future.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
Site Team

Brad ~ don't go and drive an Entegra ........... Totally quiet and smooth inside. Drove an Anthem at Hershey Show for about 10-12 miles through back roads, highways and bumpy stuff .... I want one !! Seriously, when you turn key, all you hear is a very faint engine noise and the tach comes up off the peg.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #6

We have had all three Gasser, DP and Fifth Wheel. They each have their own benefits. But for the cost and lay out we have found that we like a Fifth wheel the most. The other benefit is if we wanted to trade every 3-4 years it is much cheaper to go with a 5er.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Brad ~ don't go and drive an Entegra ........... Totally quiet and smooth inside. Drove an Anthem at Hershey Show for about 10-12 miles through back roads, highways and bumpy stuff .... I want one !! Seriously, when you turn key, all you hear is a very faint engine noise and the tach comes up off the peg.
I better not..... But someday, when I can actually use it more than a few weeks a year.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #8
Site Team

RWJ ~ good point about fifth wheels. We would love a DP but keep coming back to the fact we like the layouts in fifth wheels better and we can actually afford one (more or less LOL)
MH would be easier traveling with dog and 2 cats but we've learned to make it work. Now if I can just convince Tracy that its ok to tow the car too ......... She's afraid we'll think we're a train.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
RWJ ~ good point about fifth wheels. We would love a DP but keep coming back to the fact we like the layouts in fifth wheels better and we can actually afford one (more or less LOL)
MH would be easier traveling with dog and 2 cats but we've learned to make it work. Now if I can just convince Tracy that its ok to tow the car too ......... She's afraid we'll think we're a train.
There's just no perfect way to bring the fleet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV toys.jpg (204.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

That's funny Brad saw a class C yesterday that looked a lot like that, we hoped they were moving.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote