Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 02:59 AM   #1

Electrical problem on a Redwood 2015 38RL

My microwave just up and quite working, checked voltage at outlet in cabinet and measured 70VAC.

Traced connections be-hide the lower left drawer next fireplace checked at that point also had 70VAC, checked at breaker box the voltage there is 120VAC at the microwave breaker.

I rewired the microwave to work from the fireplace circuit breaker.

At the breaker panel the wiring is romax and at the electric box be-hide the lower left drawer is SO cable I assume this runs thru the bottom of the coach.

Any suggestions to solve this problem?

Thank in advance
Bill C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:38 AM   #2

Yup I've lost count the number of Redwood owners who have had this problem. The wiring runs in Romex from the breaker box to a junction point just forward of where the shore power connecter is. You have to get on your back underneath the rear corner driver side just to the rear of the back of the kitchen slide. You will see some black plastic that has a slit in it covered by very sticky fiber tape. Underneath you'll find a connector, or rather 3 of them that makes the transition from Romex to rubber cord for going into the box you found behind the drawer near the fireplace. There are three 120 V circuits in the kitchen slide:
1. Microwave
2. Fireplace
3. Pantry outlet, stove outlet, RV fridge, and the entertainment area. You'll find I think a bad connector shown here in the attachment. I've had these fail twice now.
If you need further help let me know, I've been down this road a couple of times.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anderson plug 1JPG.JPG (69.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Anderson plug 2.JPG (62.6 KB, 30 views)

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:31 AM   #3

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your nice reply. I would have thought they would have done the hookup in 4x4 metal box, but I guess not.

I have not seen a connector like this one you showed, if needed would it be possible to wire into a 4x4 metal box or just repair the connector?

Again thank you

Bill
Old 07-01-2019, 02:00 AM   #4

Hi Bill

I'm not familiar with how much of the NEC applies to RVs but I guess that connector is approved for the purpose without being enclosed inside a box. I think I'm going to rewire my 3 circuits inside a plastic electrical box before we go south for the winter. If enclosed, I think wire nuts are then permitted. My microwave circuit still has the emergency fix with wire nuts, as it wasn't practical to permanently fix while we were living in it this last winter. I'd like to hear what you find in your situation, but I'm fairly certain that's going to be where your problem is.

Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Old 07-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #5

Hi Jim,

Do you have a source for those connectors?

TIA
Bob

Bob & Judy
2017 38RL
..Slide-n-Slide..Triple A/C
..MorRyde IS..Disc Brakes..Sailun 17.5" H rated tires
2016 F-350 DRW TD
..Air-Lift 5000 w/Wireless One
BobJudy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #6

Hi Bob

I still have a temp wire nut fix, going to enclose them in a waterproof plastic box with wire nuts. The first time it happened, in Las Vegas on our way south our coach was still under warranty, and when we got back home in the spring the dealer took care of it. But we've now had two different ones out of three total fail, so I'm sure sometime soon the third one will go. They are made by Molex and haven't found a retailer to see them online. One half of the plug assembly is rated for 600 VAC, and the other half is 300 VAC. Really strange there are quite a few numbers on the plugs. I'll send you a close up shap if you really want to pursue replacing, or you could try through the dealer in Elkhart. Also if you're attending a rally, I'm sure Randy and his crew could find you the right one.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:03 AM   #7

These Molex connectors are used by the OEM's in many locations. They need to be installed in dry locations. They are made in many different types depending on the application and type and gauge of wire used. Clear, yellow and blue bases, and clear, yellow and blue top pieces depending on gauge of wire and type of wire used. SJ or SEOW wire and stranded or solid types. Look at the link for more information.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UL1E-6lp5vnaTQ

Saw a few on eBay for sale and I am sure there are many RV shops who sell them. Search and hopefully you will find what you are looking for.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:19 AM   #8

I was able to find the scans I had made previously for the installation of these Molex connectors. Hopefully they will help those who might need it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img037.jpg (598.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg img038.jpg (451.3 KB, 7 views)

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
Old 07-09-2019, 04:10 AM   #9

Wow, Chris, I've been looking for this for 4 years without success. Thanks a bunch for that info, I appreciate it.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #10

Chris, I am not sure how to do this but some people have been able to place the schematic file in the Library for future use.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #11

Larry, I combined the 2 pictures into a single pdf file. Was able to upload to the Library. Probably will take some time for the staff to verify the file before it is released to the public.

Chris

Old 07-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #12

Chris
Thank you so much for doing this; it's a real service to our forum members.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #13

Update,
We just came back from our trip we left out last Friday 8/30/19 arrived at our camp site set up had dinner watched some TV and hit the sack, later that night my wife woke me up said no electric, went out and checked 50amp had tripped reset and much to my surprise Fire and Smoke came out from the rear left end just pass the kitchen slide after cutting open the cover in that area found the connectors listed above burned up in flames I sent the next hour or so on my back under the trailer cutting out the connectors and rewire all four, will send pictures of the damaged connectors soon. MY SUGGESTION IS ELIMINATE THE CONNECTORS FOR YOUR SAFETY.

Bill C
Old 09-08-2019, 11:38 PM   #14

WOWGlad you caught it and are safe.

Bob & Judy
2017 38RL
..Slide-n-Slide..Triple A/C
..MorRyde IS..Disc Brakes..Sailun 17.5" H rated tires
2016 F-350 DRW TD
..Air-Lift 5000 w/Wireless One
BobJudy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:43 AM   #15

I just finished the process. I put all three connections using wire nuts (or maretts for our Canadian friends) in a plastic box with strain relief connectors that should be completely weatherproof and safe. I purchased this at Lowe's, but of course it's not the only solution. I resealed the box with wide Gorilla super stick tape under that plastic fiber paper in that area so it's completely out of the elements.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TayMac-2-Ga...al-Box/4005491

I would recommend any and all do something like this, as it's apparent to me that most of these will fail at some time.