Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to medic1368
I read on another forum that many other RVer's are having problems running both air conditioners without a 50 amp hookup. A lot of the parks we go to only have 30 amp hookups. In one of the posts they talked about unhooking the 2nd AC unit from the breaker box, installing an inline breaker and running a separate cord to the 20 amp hookup on the post. Has anyone done this with a Redwood? The newer AC's just can't seem to cool as well the older units. One does not keep the unit cool in the 90 degree temps we have been having. Edited by: medic1368
Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

I think a better idea is to get the adapter box that will let you plug into both the 30 amp plug and the 20 amp plug on the post and then plug your 50 amp cord into the adapter. The one I have is an electrical box with a 50 amp receptical, and has two short 30 amp cords coming out. You plug one of the cords into the 30 amp receptical, and unless you have two 30 amp receptical on the post, you put a 30 to 20 adapter on the other cord and plug it into the 20 amp receptical. I think camping world has them and you can most likely find them online. If a person has a little knowledge of electricity you could make your own, but by the time you bought what you needed you may not be that far ahead. Look for 50 amp rv box adapter.Edited by: rcflame
Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to medic1368
Most of the adaptors will not work on a GFI outlet and 99%of the RV parks have GFI recepticles. I have done an extensive search on the Internet and they all state the same. Do you have a brand name or part number of the one you have?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #4

If you wire it right the ground fault will not trip I made my own and it works great but I also have a small relay switch that cuts the bedroom air out of the loop if I plug into it that way it only powers the bedroom air
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #5

There isn't a brand on it that I can see. I've had it for over ten years, so I don't know it they are different now from what they were then. Haven't had to use it much the last few years. It seems like the parks we have been in, if they have updated their electrical so they have the ground fault, they also have 50 amp.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #6

For the last 4 years from March until September we have kept the Montana at a campground 30 minutes from home, staying there 95% of the time. Only 30 amp service so lots of trips to the breaker box. Every year they check hook ups & made people remove any "splitters" as illegal.

We r not far from the Alegro plant & a couple of us went to their store & purchased one there. Took it to the guy over the campgrounds & he approved it for use. That was last year.

This year several of our friends also went & purchased the splitters and had better service. One day ranger came around left a notice with everyone that they were illegal & to remove them. When the manager was called he said he didn't remember the conversation approving the splitters.

Anyway, the allegro camp store in Red Bay Alabama sells them & they work great when u can use them! I can get a phone number if u want to call them.

Genie

genietay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #7

SOUTH Llano State: sites are a little Short. Plenty of game to see, ALL TYPES. NICE SHOWERS WE STAYED IN PAD 5, a double wide pad.
Had no trouble with ours in 30 amp sites until; I pulled in a heat gun( more power than a MWAVE), but to be honest my surge guard told me we had a bad leg for A/C power. Ranger brought down a $5.00 dollar tester, said all is ok. Slightly Melted 1 leg of 30 to 50 BOBTAIL. WHEN I pulled BOBTAIL from the pedestal , pedestal came part it had fried the phenolic plug overtime( South Llano State HAS POWER ISSUES ), but it is a beautiful park. NO 50 amp available in park. Swimming problematic, great fishing. But you'll need a bike to reach most of the river. Great Security.

RIFRAFF.Edited by: RifRaff