Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Yukon..here we come

Departure is finally in sight! Been a long winter wait! Been chomping at the bit since early March. Merlin tore his ACL out playing and required some pretty intense surgery. Poor guy had a heck of a time in the trailer when his cone was on! We've modified his ramp and he's now able to get in and out of the truck. Also got one for the trailer. We go into the dealer's next week for a couple things. When we leave their lot, our journey begins. We added another spare tire holder so we've got two now. Here's hoping I never need the second one! Heard from a few people the Dempster Hwy is a tire killer!
We will be up there till Sept. We'll swing over to Alberta on the way home to see our newest grandson.
Hoping to see much wildlife up there. Few years ago, we drove to Ontario and back and saw just 1 moose and calf in the whole trip
[SIGPIC]
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #2

I'm jealous! Enjoy that trip!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:05 AM   #3

Didn't drive it, but heard the same thing about the Dempster when we went up in 08.

Mark
Old 04-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Just got Milepost book. Post often as we'll have to live vicariously through you for now. Looking to go in 2020. Safe trip!

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Site Team

With that rig you shouldn't have any problems at all. I test drove a M2 like that but it didn't work for Ginny......I think she's gotten soft in her old age
Old 04-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

We did the Yukon and Alaska Highway back in 1992 for the 50th anniversary when there was a lot more gravel compared to present day. I put a piece of plywood on top of the front lower section of the 5th wheel to protect it from rock hits coming off the truck tires, it did a good job but the front cap took a couple of hits up high from passing vehicles. Pull over as far as you can and slow down when a passing vehicle approaches, it will cut down on the damage.

I saw a class "A" with a full plexiglass front installed to prevent damage and I talked to an Airstream owner who was going to have the front re-skinned when he got back home!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #7

Dave...we had even looked at the big Volvo, Kenworths, etc. Judith did not like the lack of passenger legroom. The only thing Judith dislikes about the M2, is the fact she can now see over the guard rails and notices there is nothing on the other side for a long way down��
[SIGPIC]
Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

Almcc...when we picked up our RW, I had them spray Rhino hide on the whole front hatch section. They colour matched with the lighter gray. As for the top cap, I think our truck will intercept most of the rocks. Even after all this, I'm sure we'll end up with a few owwee's. We are getting pretty pumped for this!
[SIGPIC]
Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #9

We are armed with a couple good cameras, so we should be able to keep everyone posted. Have decided to hurry through BC so we can have more time in Yukon and NWT. Have heard Things start to shut down in Sept up there.
[SIGPIC]