Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Site Team

Winter Beach Time

Ok, need some ideas and recommendations. We're still getting used to this Fulltime thing and looking at options.

Pretty sure we will be in the Hilton Head - Savannah area for most of the winter but Tracy has requested a true "Beach Getaway ". Sooooooo .........

I need suggestions - how far down Florida should I look for a place with a week- 10 days available and warm enough to swim in early January ? We are looking for about the 4th - 13th.
All suggestions are welcome, either Coast is fine as we need to be in Tampa for the RV Show on the 14th.

As usual, thanks in advance. !!
Old 08-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #2

I would have made my reservations for the Keys months ago, but you can still find sites now, if you get lucky. Man, do I love that place.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:32 AM   #3

We have been in the Gulf in the Tampa area in late December early January, BUT we didn't stay long as it was pretty chilly, then again another year approx same time frame we were over at Daytona and the water bad. Just depends on which way the currents are flowing.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:17 AM   #4
Site Team

Just booked two weeks at Sunshine Key RV Park on big Pine Key. First two weeks of January.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #5

Vaughn...I just got that pleasantly warm feeling all over imagining being there. You won't be disappointed, unless of course a hurricane comes blowing through. 😁
Old 08-09-2017, 03:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Just booked two weeks at Sunshine Key RV Park on big Pine Key. First two weeks of January.
Very nice! I'm jealous
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:02 AM   #7

Now that's a bit farther down then you planned!! I think my new plan is to just follow Vaughan around the country.

Steve
Old 08-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Ok - Brad, Steve, come with us !! There are some sites left for that time frame. Brad, I know you could make it in two days driving that comfortable coach. And Steve thinks nothing of a 12 hour day, you would just need two of them. Lol

In all seriousness, we hadn't planned on the Keys but the more we thought about it, why not. Looks like we will be in New York till end of October and then in Baltimore area for November and part of December to see family and for the holidays (there is a year round park not far from where we lived). After that, headed to the Keys for two weeks and then up to Tampa for about 10 days. After that, it looks like I may be a fill-in Captain on a Ferry out of Hilton Head, SC for a few months till April. Not sure yet where next summer will be, if we don't come back to New York, then we'll be headed west to Montana and Wyoming.

On another note, just ordered a set of H Sailuns from Ron. Think I now have all the Suspension and hitch mods that we can do !! Will post a picture of the rig when we leave here and head south with Fred the Focus in tow. Everything is setup on it for towing.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Ok - Brad, Steve, come with us !! There are some sites left for that time frame. Brad, I know you could make it in two days driving that comfortable coach. And Steve thinks nothing of a 12 hour day, you would just need two of them. Lol

In all seriousness, we hadn't planned on the Keys but the more we thought about it, why not. Looks like we will be in New York till end of October and then in Baltimore area for November and part of December to see family and for the holidays (there is a year round park not far from where we lived). After that, headed to the Keys for two weeks and then up to Tampa for about 10 days. After that, it looks like I may be a fill-in Captain on a Ferry out of Hilton Head, SC for a few months till April. Not sure yet where next summer will be, if we don't come back to New York, then we'll be headed west to Montana and Wyoming.

On another note, just ordered a set of H Sailuns from Ron. Think I now have all the Suspension and hitch mods that we can do !! Will post a picture of the rig when we leave here and head south with Fred the Focus in tow. Everything is setup on it for towing.
I would love to Vaughan - Key West was an annual trip for Dory and I (fly). However, she just came out of the ICU getting an LVAD heart pump installed to keep her going until a heart becomes available for transplant. She is near the top of the list for transplant now that she is on life support - expecting within the next 9 months. Our travels will consist of 2-4 hours from home, and with winter coming the MH will probably be limited to monthly maintenance runs to keep the batteries charged.

Your trip sounds like a blast! Even the Ferry Captain! Those Sailuns seem like a nice choice! I haven't heard anything negative yet. I did see a recall for tread separation 2 weeks ago, but that was the 22.5 inch tires.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #10

Brad, praying for you both. If you need anything let me know. We are just down the road at Castle Rock.

Ken
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #11

Brad... best wishes and prayers going your way.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:

Piper guy, So happens that we will be at Sunshine Key January 1st-6th.
My wife and me and our daughter. with her 2 puppies (our granddogs).
Hope to meet up with you there!

PS. Brad, best wishes and prayers for Dory.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Tom ~ small world !! Look forward to meeting you. We will be arriving on 12/31 and staying till the 14th. Will look for you.

Send me a PM and we'll swap emails and cell numbers. Have decided we're going to drop the Focus in Savannah at Tracy's Mom's as I don't really want to try a double tow down the Keys. LOL
Old 08-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #14

ok, Will do!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #15

We are leaving Kentucky around 12/27, going to stay a couple of nights on the road to St. Petersburg, then 2 nights at St. Pete. We should get to Sunshine Key on 1/1/18 if all goes as planned.
This is going to be our first real trip in the new Sequoia, doing a couple of quick weekends near home to check things out. Did the first one 2 weeks ago, and all went well.
After Sunshine Key we are going to Ft. DeSoto by St. Pete for 2 weeks, then Disney for a week, then 3 weeks in 4 Fl state parks in the central part of the state, north of Orlando. Can't wait!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I would love to Vaughan - Key West was an annual trip for Dory and I (fly). However, she just came out of the ICU getting an LVAD heart pump installed to keep her going until a heart becomes available for transplant. She is near the top of the list for transplant now that she is on life support - expecting within the next 9 months. Our travels will consist of 2-4 hours from home, and with winter coming the MH will probably be limited to monthly maintenance runs to keep the batteries charged.

Your trip sounds like a blast! Even the Ferry Captain! Those Sailuns seem like a nice choice! I haven't heard anything negative yet. I did see a recall for tread separation 2 weeks ago, but that was the 22.5 inch tires.
Ahhh Jeez Brad, Godspeed to you and Dory and your family. You got a lot on your plate, and it is a very big plate. You have a lot of friends out here, so if you need to call in reinforcements, just say the word.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #17

Thank you all for the kind words, prayers, and local offers! We both really appreciate it. She said they may release her Monday to come home, but she will need to stay plugged in or on batteries.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:47 AM   #18
Site Team

Brad and Dory, thoughts and prayers for you during this difficult time.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Brad
Our prayers with you two
Old 08-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #20

Brad and Dory, we will be thinking of you both in this time of trouble, and my wife and myself will add your family to our prayer list.
May Gods blessings pour over your family and the doctors to give them the wisdom they need in this delicate matter.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote