Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

We are hoping to make a run to Durango, Co area in May

Would probably meet up with the group around Tucumcari from Dallas and then on to Durango ...

Any recommendations for campgrounds, etc... ?
Looked at rvparkeviews, tripadvisor, and good sam... so have some ideas, but appreciate your input !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
lwg

Spent a month in that area last summer, passed through twice since. Durango really only has one RV Park on the north side of town, it's expensive. It's also very nice. There's one or two over by Pagosa Springs as well. Real nice one on the edge of town but they only allow Motorhomes.

We stayed up at Vallecito Reservoir during our visit. There's two RV Parks up there. The park on the north side of the lake has cell service, the south side not so much if that matters.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

I am staying at Mesa Verde in Mancos for a month starting 5/17. First time but have heard good things about it.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
I am staying at Mesa Verde in Mancos for a month starting 5/17. First time but have heard good things about it.
Probably been 15 or 16 years since we have been there. Had two teens with us and for some reason we decided to not stayat Mesa Verde. At that time we had a low profile 24 ft fifth wheel. We camped at Lightner Creek Campground in Durango. It was nice, small, but nice. I don't think they have 50 amp hookups though. I do remember going to Mesa Verde to see the cliff dwellings. It takes a long time to get to them, the park is very large. It was worth the drive. We did several things in the Durango area and that might be why we did not camp at Mesa Verde. Then again, we were there shortly after they had had a large fire and a lot of the park was black. If you can do it, they say the Durango to Silverton railway trip is a beautiful trip. We chose to drive to all the way to Ouray where we visited a gold mine and Ouray also has a large hot springs pool.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #5

Its a little ways out of Durango (about 38 miles), but I would stay at Navajo State Park (Colorado side).

There us another Campground on the east side on 160 (KOA). I drive by it a lot but have never stayed there.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #6

Have not camped in or around Durango, but have taken the steam train to Silverton. It is spectacular! Silverton is very quaint. Highly recommend it.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #7

Thanks for the insights !

we conference called yesterday and plans are firming up ...
the train was #1 on the list and maybe a motorcoach back so we see different vistas...

And while there thinking we would spend 4 days in Colorado Springs for the royal gorge, rafting, air force academy...

any recommendations near there ?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Thanks for the insights !

we conference called yesterday and plans are firming up ...
the train was #1 on the list and maybe a motorcoach back so we see different vistas...

And while there thinking we would spend 4 days in Colorado Springs for the royal gorge, rafting, air force academy...

any recommendations near there ?
Been a long time ago. I think we camped at a KOA in Manitou Springs. I worked at the Air Force Academy from 1977 through 1979 and that place is definitely a must see. Watch for deer everywhere. It's not uncommon to be clear in the lower part of the Academy(foothills) and be blizzard conditions up in the cadet area. Same thing in Manitou springs and then a blizzard up on Pikes Peak. The tram from Manitou up to Pikes Peak is great. Don't eat a lot up on the Peak at the restaurant/store because the altitude change coming back down will make you sick. Garden of the Gods is a neat place to visit in Colorado Springs and it was free back then, not sure about now. They might have a campground at Garden of the Gods.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

Thanks Rick,
Why I suggested going there in August - get out of the DFW heat and see great sights !!!!

I barely recall going there a LONG time ago for an invitational tourney for my daughter's soccer team and I got to play golf on the Academy's course ...

Very hard to focus when a deer is laying down in the grass 5 feet from the par 4 tee box that you are deciding whether or not to hit an 8 or 9 iron so you won't go over the green I felt like godzilla on that course !
Old 03-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
We stay there often to visit our son. Stay at United Campground (right on the RR) or Alpine Rose. We prefer United Campground. Both are north of town but close in.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 AM   #11

John,
I stayed at a KOA right at the royal gorge, but I haven't been back as most if it burned down a few years ago. My sister just went and there is still plenty to do, but I don't think the campground is there anymore.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:31 AM   #12

You might look into the the State campground on the southwest side of Colorado Springs
Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Cheyenne Mountain
This campground is a few years old, has full hook ups. The sites all hold big rigs and over looks the city. Hard to get into during the summer unless you book it way in advance. The weekends may already be out of the question. I toured this campground when it was first built and it is a beautiful park on the side of the mountain.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:45 AM   #13

The Fountain, Co KOA is close to Camping World and is easy to get to. Since the fires the Royal Gorge is really out of commission, I wouldn't waste my time until they have completed the rebuild. Garden of the Gods, Air Force Academy and Cave of the Winds are major attractions and Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City are good trips to make. Stop in Michael Garmans studio In Old colorado City and take in Magic Town it is inexpensive and unique.
Michael Garman Museum and Gallery | Colorado Springs Vacation & Tourism Information - Colorado Springs Colorado
Old 04-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #14

I agree on the Fountain KOA, stayed there a couple of years ago, close enough to all attractions, but out of the hustle/bustle of that area.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #15

Pagosa Springs is a great place to spend the day. They have a premier hotel and hot springs that we use on special occasions, $200+ a night. Very expensive but you can get into the hot springs all day for around $20 each. If you love hot springs this is by far better than Glenwood Springs or any of the other hot springs in Co. There is a campground outside of town, we have not stayed there, but looks nice. Normally we drive the truck or car depending on the weather in the winter time and stay at the hotel.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #16

Sitting in American Campground in Durango under sunny skies and the steam engine tracks roll by 100 feet behind our rig. Only four miles from town. Practically empty - they just opened this week.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #17

Wow they are open early. I didn't figure they would be open ubtil Memorial Day. How's the snow?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 AM   #18

There is no snow. Temp was 61dF today.