Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Cool Trip routing from Houston to Grand Canyon

We are planning our first long distance run in the 38BR we bought last summer. Destination, Williams, Arizona to see the Grand Canyon....(bucket list). We live on the West Side of Houston, and plotting routes. Route 1 is I-10 all the way to Phoenix, Route 2 is puzzling (per Good Sam trip planner). It takes us on I-10 to the other side of Bowie Arizona, then North on 191 through Safford, then 70 to Globe, then 60 West through Miami on 60 to Florence Junction and on through Gold Canyon to the East side of Phoenix and then North up towards Williams. Am I missing anything or is that a slower route than staying on the "slab" even though you divert South through Tucscon going I-10? Route 3 has us leaving Houston North on I-45 to Ennis, Tx, then cutting across through Ft.Worth and run 287 up through Wichita Falls/Amarillo to 40, then go West all the way in. Have any of you been both ways or have solid intel on which would be quicker? I looked for some threads in the forum and either didn't search correctly or just missed them. Last thing.....I'm attempting to calculate average drive time for each leg. Is 50 mph avg, in the ball park? On interstate, I thought I could run 65 mph or so....Would appreciate any feedback available that you care to share.
Thanks, Stoker
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

We stopped in Williams last spring on the way back from California and did the Grand Canyon Railway to the National Park, it was awesome.
Since we had to stop in Dallas for a couple of weeks we came thought Amarillo then down to Dallas and then to Houston for a few weeks before heading back to the East Coast.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

Thanks for responding! As you left Williams on 40 East, just trying to get a feel for time under the wheel going back. Understand you went back via Dallas, so do you track average mph on a trip? How far did you make it the first day? I calculate Williams to Albuquerque at 509 miles, and avg of 55 mph (on Interstate) would be about 9 hours. Does that sound about right or so you take a different pace?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Sorry.....misfired....Williams to Alb. is 358 miles....so transit time approx. 6 hours or less
Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #5

I like the Southern Route mainly because of where I stay along the route. KOA in Van Horn, Tx. visit John Madden's favorite restaurant "Gringo's". Lazy Days KOA in Tucson and visit Mi Nidito restaurant. We love Williams, AZ. The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel/RV Park is the best Passport America in the system @ $19 night for 7 nights.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

Now I'm really embarrassed and showing my "rookie" colors....Been camping for a long time, but mostly in our property owners campground at Lake Travis in Austin, Tx. Never considered Passport membership....so will look at that especially now that the lake level is down a lot and our rig is too big to get into the "primo" spots we used to get. So....the South Route, eh? All the way through Phoenix, Tucson, and on to Texas? I've heard there are some rough patches of I-10 along that route. Have you been through there lately? And....what is your average tow speed? Wondering how long I'll be successful keeping Mama cooped up....specially coming home.
Stoker
Old 03-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Site Team

Watch your mirrors.....the last time I was on I10 it was a fast moving highway. I also experienced some rough patches.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

Roger that on fast moving....still seeking input on if I use 50 mph average speed, would that be in line? We don't stop and do "sit down" meals. Pretty much walk the dog, fuel up and hit the bathroom and something to go, but haven't done a trip of this magnitude before either. Just wanted to borrow from the vast table of experience here...my thanks to you Dave and Titan guy for taking a minute to weigh in.
Stoker
Old 03-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #9

I-10 between Tucson & Phoenix is a bear. Fast moving bumper to bumper.
Fueling will kill your time. I only have a 35 gal tank so every 150-200 miles I am stopping. Because I am 13'4" I only use truck lanes. This can really eat some time.

Ron & Margaret
Old 03-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #10

Having run 287 MANY times, you will be pleasantly surprised how well it runs...
as with MOST Texas non-interstates very wide and good highway...

And, so far !!!, between good sam trip planner and the garmin rv760 we haven't been led into any tight spots.

YEARS ago in a class C we went did that trip..
Carlsbad to grand canyon etc...
leaving Sandia Peak in Alb NM (WELL worth the stop and tram ride) going west our little 318 v8 class c took what seemed like a HOUR to make that grade out of Alb

we stayed in the south rim rv park in the grand canyon... actually celebrated my sons 1st b-day IN the rv there...
thought it was such a nice night we left the windows open when we sent to bed and when we woke up the rv was like 44 degrees inside
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
Roger that on fast moving....still seeking input on if I use 50 mph average speed, would that be in line? We don't stop and do "sit down" meals. Pretty much walk the dog, fuel up and hit the bathroom and something to go, but haven't done a trip of this magnitude before either. Just wanted to borrow from the vast table of experience here...my thanks to you Dave and Titan guy for taking a minute to weigh in.
Stoker
If you maintain 60 mph you will actually average around 52-54 mph after an 8 hour day. This is because of stoping for fuel and bathroom breaks

I tend to drive fast (around 75) and average a daily speed of around 60-63mph due to "old man bladder".
Old 03-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
We are planning our first long distance run in the 38BR we bought last summer. Destination, Williams, Arizona to see the Grand Canyon....(bucket list). We live on the West Side of Houston, and plotting routes. Route 1 is I-10 all the way to Phoenix, Route 2 is puzzling (per Good Sam trip planner). It takes us on I-10 to the other side of Bowie Arizona, then North on 191 through Safford, then 70 to Globe, then 60 West through Miami on 60 to Florence Junction and on through Gold Canyon to the East side of Phoenix and then North up towards Williams. Am I missing anything or is that a slower route than staying on the "slab" even though you divert South through Tucscon going I-10? Route 3 has us leaving Houston North on I-45 to Ennis, Tx, then cutting across through Ft.Worth and run 287 up through Wichita Falls/Amarillo to 40, then go West all the way in. Have any of you been both ways or have solid intel on which would be quicker? I looked for some threads in the forum and either didn't search correctly or just missed them. Last thing.....I'm attempting to calculate average drive time for each leg. Is 50 mph avg, in the ball park? On interstate, I thought I could run 65 mph or so....Would appreciate any feedback available that you care to share.
Thanks, Stoker

Do you have the height of your RW programmed into the Good Sam Trip Planner? If so, that may be the reason for its route planning for you. There may be clearance issues on the other routes.

I use Good Sam Trip Planner all the time and so far, it has not misled me. I also use a Rand McNally GPS.

I generally try to run 55 to 65 on the highway depending on weather and temperature. The hotter it is, the slower I run. I also figure in a 20 minute stop every 2 to 2 1/2 hours to stretch the legs, for bathroom breaks, meal breaks and refueling breaks.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #13

Just conveyed with fellow RWers from Dade City Fla. to Lake Havasu City, Arz taking I-10 to just west of Tucson & took I-8 west from there. I-10 was no better/no worse than any other interstate in the country, we drove approx. 68 mph & averaged about 55 mph with potty/lunch stops at rest areas only. Typically we only drive 200-250 miles per day & are stopped by 2-3pm so usually don't have fuel stops while towing (big PITA going to truck stops). We stayed at Ft Stockton Koa park, nice but in middle of nowhere, Hacienda rv resort in Las Cruces New Mexico, very nice, Voyager rv resort in Tucson, also very nice.
You may travel faster than us so our trip time on just under 60 days for that trip probably doesn't help your trip planning, but if you have further questions, please ask!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:34 AM   #14
TnB

Stoker, When you walk your dogs in Texas, watch out for goat head burrs. When we went that route a couple years ago, our two dogs got a lot of burrs in their paws in a very short distance (six feet). If you are in a wind blown area, you might consider putting booties on your dogs paws.
2015 RW 36FB w/GY 114 "H" tires, disc brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide, Furrion wireless backup camera
TnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:44 AM   #15

We drove I10 from San Antonio Tx to Los Angeles last Spring. I don't recall the road being any worse in condition than other roads we've traveled, such I5 in CA or I35 through OK and TX.

I do remember heavy traffic between Tucson and Phoenix, however we did plan our drive on a weekday at about 9:00am through this area. But who am I to judge heavy traffic -- I ended up driving the rig practically downtown LA after missing a cutoff and found o was committed to stay on I10 and then I5😉

When I'am in heavy city highway traffic I always look for a semi that appears he knows his way around and I follow them, as they typically know the best lanes to travel in.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #16

Stoker, my wife and I are planning on going to Williams after my next job assignment. Can I ask where you are planning on parking the RW while you are in Williams?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #17

This winter we traversed the I-10 thru Texas both east and west, all 880 miles of it. Had its moments (bounce bounce bounce, love those air bags) but certainly doable. Many well spaced rest stops, good fueling options, just very long, then again it is Texas after all. Some how west bound road conditions were better than east bound, but could be pre-winter vs. post-winter not sure.

One thing I would note about truck stops, we use them to our advantage. All Love's and Pilot's have wide easy to pull into gas pumps with a "pull forward after you're done" area. We use them regularly to swap drivers and have a quick bathroom/stretch break, yes even if we don't need to fuel. You see me and my DW tag team on 1 hour shifts, but that doesn't really matter. We'll pull in, find an empty lane (ok not always available, but more than not) pull thru like we just fueled, go about our business for 10 or 15 minutes, jump back in and drive off happy campers. So far no one has said boo, the stations maybe sold a bad cup of coffee, and we can swap over and keep going. We've even pulled into a truck stop, turned on the inverter to fire the microwave, had some lunch and used it as an easy on/off. Not the nicest stops granted, but to keep moving on a long haul day works good for us.

Another thing I would highly recommend if you do follow I-10 is Cattelman's Steak House just east of El Paso. They allow over night camping if you eat at the restaurant. It was more than fabulous. Have to admit of the 2 months we spent in Texas the one big disappointment was the BBQ (yes I'm from Tennessee), but still, Cattleman's was the best by far. I ordered the 1/2 a cow and it was amazing. Be prepared for a wait, the place is crazy busy but we had our house to hang out in .

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT DRIVE TO THE TOP OF THE HILL. At the bottom of the hill is an area by a small pond that probably has a bunch of "do not park" signs". It's ok, move a sign pull in, walk up the hill and let security know you are there. They are totally fine with staying the night. After 9pm when the place closes down its really quite and a short 5 miles back to the I-10 in the morning to be on your way.

OK so if I wasn't clear before when you go to Cattlemans, WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT DRIVE TO THE TOP OF THE HILL! You may also want to time your departure to not go thru El Paso if you are heading west, at peak drive time, but really both ways it wasn't an issue for us.

Our turn around was Sedona (totally worth a look) so we drove the Tucson to Phoenix twice and worked it out to do it early on a Sunday and had no issues. Hope it works for you to, just stay in your happy spot and remember they are all crazy, you are doing this for FUN!

Be well and travel safe!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #18

Dave, Best spot in Williams.

RV Park Sites, Grand Canyon | Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona

Ron & Margaret
Old 03-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #19

Stoker,

We have a 38BR and travelled from Ontario down thru NewYork State to Boston, Cape Cod, Philly, Gettysburg, and back home via Lake Placid.
We set the cruise at the speed limit most of the time... 55... 60... 65... Fuel economy was about 11 MPG and I did not go more than 6 hours at a go... wife and dog need bathroom and stretch breaks about every 4 hours. Truck has sufficient fuel capacity for a 6-8 hour run with trailer... 10 hours empty.

We bought a Rand McNally 7710 GPS to keep us on the right roads... Good Sam has some as well.

Best of luck with your rig.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #20

Sure appreciate those of you that weighed in. Since this is our first "distance" pull, is there anything else I might want to be sure is done prior to departure? Thinking confirm lug nuts are torqued properly. The dealer repacked wheel bearings last Sept. when we bought it, and I've logged about 1,000 miles with short hops down to Port Aransas, Tx. and New Braunfels, Tx. Can't find torque specs anywhere though. I saw one of Atom Ant's responses to a different post last year, that indicated 20# range for our 38BR. Just wanted to get it right and not seeing anything on this forum or other google searches. Oh....one last thing. We keep our rig stored in a covered stall, and there is access to a wall mounted plug that is on a GFI. I tried to rig up shore power from RV to a 50/30 amp adapter, and then plug in the adapter to the wall plug. POPPED the GFI. Guessing it's on a 10 or 15 amp circuit.....Any suggestions on how I might use their power to keep turn the fridge on a day before departure? The obvious answer is use the propane on board, but would like to save that for traveling.
Thanks guys...always like seeing your collective sharing of knowledge.
Stoker