Old 03-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Cool Trip routing from Houston to Grand Canyon

We are planning our first long distance run in the 38BR we bought last summer. Destination, Williams, Arizona to see the Grand Canyon....(bucket list). We live on the West Side of Houston, and plotting routes. Route 1 is I-10 all the way to Phoenix, Route 2 is puzzling (per Good Sam trip planner). It takes us on I-10 to the other side of Bowie Arizona, then North on 191 through Safford, then 70 to Globe, then 60 West through Miami on 60 to Florence Junction and on through Gold Canyon to the East side of Phoenix and then North up towards Williams. Am I missing anything or is that a slower route than staying on the "slab" even though you divert South through Tucscon going I-10? Route 3 has us leaving Houston North on I-45 to Ennis, Tx, then cutting across through Ft.Worth and run 287 up through Wichita Falls/Amarillo to 40, then go West all the way in. Have any of you been both ways or have solid intel on which would be quicker? I looked for some threads in the forum and either didn't search correctly or just missed them. Last thing.....I'm attempting to calculate average drive time for each leg. Is 50 mph avg, in the ball park? On interstate, I thought I could run 65 mph or so....Would appreciate any feedback available that you care to share.
Thanks, Stoker
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

We stopped in Williams last spring on the way back from California and did the Grand Canyon Railway to the National Park, it was awesome.
Since we had to stop in Dallas for a couple of weeks we came thought Amarillo then down to Dallas and then to Houston for a few weeks before heading back to the East Coast.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

Thanks for responding! As you left Williams on 40 East, just trying to get a feel for time under the wheel going back. Understand you went back via Dallas, so do you track average mph on a trip? How far did you make it the first day? I calculate Williams to Albuquerque at 509 miles, and avg of 55 mph (on Interstate) would be about 9 hours. Does that sound about right or so you take a different pace?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Sorry.....misfired....Williams to Alb. is 358 miles....so transit time approx. 6 hours or less
Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #5

I like the Southern Route mainly because of where I stay along the route. KOA in Van Horn, Tx. visit John Madden's favorite restaurant "Gringo's". Lazy Days KOA in Tucson and visit Mi Nidito restaurant. We love Williams, AZ. The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel/RV Park is the best Passport America in the system @ $19 night for 7 nights.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

Now I'm really embarrassed and showing my "rookie" colors....Been camping for a long time, but mostly in our property owners campground at Lake Travis in Austin, Tx. Never considered Passport membership....so will look at that especially now that the lake level is down a lot and our rig is too big to get into the "primo" spots we used to get. So....the South Route, eh? All the way through Phoenix, Tucson, and on to Texas? I've heard there are some rough patches of I-10 along that route. Have you been through there lately? And....what is your average tow speed? Wondering how long I'll be successful keeping Mama cooped up....specially coming home.
Stoker
Old 03-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Site Team

Watch your mirrors.....the last time I was on I10 it was a fast moving highway. I also experienced some rough patches.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

Roger that on fast moving....still seeking input on if I use 50 mph average speed, would that be in line? We don't stop and do "sit down" meals. Pretty much walk the dog, fuel up and hit the bathroom and something to go, but haven't done a trip of this magnitude before either. Just wanted to borrow from the vast table of experience here...my thanks to you Dave and Titan guy for taking a minute to weigh in.
Stoker
Old 03-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #9

I-10 between Tucson & Phoenix is a bear. Fast moving bumper to bumper.
Fueling will kill your time. I only have a 35 gal tank so every 150-200 miles I am stopping. Because I am 13'4" I only use truck lanes. This can really eat some time.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #10

Having run 287 MANY times, you will be pleasantly surprised how well it runs...
as with MOST Texas non-interstates very wide and good highway...

And, so far !!!, between good sam trip planner and the garmin rv760 we haven't been led into any tight spots.

YEARS ago in a class C we went did that trip..
Carlsbad to grand canyon etc...
leaving Sandia Peak in Alb NM (WELL worth the stop and tram ride) going west our little 318 v8 class c took what seemed like a HOUR to make that grade out of Alb

we stayed in the south rim rv park in the grand canyon... actually celebrated my sons 1st b-day IN the rv there...
thought it was such a nice night we left the windows open when we sent to bed and when we woke up the rv was like 44 degrees inside
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote