Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 01:32 AM   #1

RV Trip Planning

Does anybody use a trip planning application such as RV Trip Wizard or similar application to plan out their trips, trip costs, routes, etc.?
RW3951WB19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #2

I to would like to also know what people are using
Old 04-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW3951WB19 View Post
Does anybody use a trip planning application such as RV Trip Wizard or similar application to plan out their trips, trip costs, routes, etc.?
over drive 7 RV is what I use. program it for size , weight , height , number of axels so it keeps you off roads that have low bridges and weight restrictions.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #4

Has anyone made the trip to the rally from N CA, Sacramento area? Steve is planning our trip but it would be helpful if anyone has suggestions on places/RV Parks that are easy in and out to overnight, places, RV parks and/ or routes to avoid, etc. We are going to be taking 6 or 7 days to get there. Any suggestions are appreciated.
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #5

From your location I-80 would be the most direct route. There are many places to stop on the way that can fit your RW easily. We have made this trip to the Midwest many times. Our trips were not for the rally but to visit Family during the summer months.

From our location in Oregon our preference is to go I-90 then drop down as I found the trip more enjoyable. I-80 has a lot of Truck traffic and many rough areas going through Wyoming.

We used KOA app and RV Parky app when on the road to make reservations for our nightly stops. We have also used All stays and Gas buddy on the trip. We do not make reservations ahead. We tend to start looking around 1pm for our next stop then call ahead at that time and reserve spot. I don't disconnect for overnights just level as best possible and call it good to make easy out in the morning.

Hope this helps
Old 04-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRW Owner View Post
Has anyone made the trip to the rally from N CA, Sacramento area? Steve is planning our trip but it would be helpful if anyone has suggestions on places/RV Parks that are easy in and out to overnight, places, RV parks and/ or routes to avoid, etc. We are going to be taking 6 or 7 days to get there. Any suggestions are appreciated.
We live East of Redding, CA. We are going to make the trip to the Rally again this year. We travel Hwy 44 to Hwy 395 to Sparks NV, we always stay at Sparks Marina Campground for a few days, stock up on supplies in Reno then hit I80 East. We had no problems in 2017 until we broke a shackle bolt and had to limp into the Rally for repairs, no other problems all the way to New England for fall colors, ended up that we traveled 13,000 miles total on the trip. Be careful and watch the condition of the highways around Illinois, they are even worst than CA. I use Good Sam Trip Planner to plan our trips, easy to use and it gives camping sites, tunnel heights, bridges, etc. Trip Planner gives you travel distances between camp sites, time, fuel usage, info on campsites and connects you to their web pages, etc. I try to book campsites so we arrive around 3:00 PM or 300 miles or less per day. I’m currently working on this years trip, it is about 2400 miles so will take about 8 days of actual travel. Leaving early to have MorRyde IS suspension system installed at the factory in Elkhart, IN. before the Rally. If you need further information let me know.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastakid View Post
We live East of Redding, CA. We are going to make the trip to the Rally again this year. We travel Hwy 44 to Hwy 395 to Sparks NV, we always stay at Sparks Marina Campground for a few days, stock up on supplies in Reno then hit I80 East. We had no problems in 2017 until we broke a shackle bolt and had to limp into the Rally for repairs, no other problems all the way to New England for fall colors, ended up that we traveled 13,000 miles total on the trip. Be careful and watch the condition of the highways around Illinois, they are even worst than CA. I use Good Sam Trip Planner to plan our trips, easy to use and it gives camping sites, tunnel heights, bridges, etc. Trip Planner gives you travel distances between camp sites, time, fuel usage, info on campsites and connects you to their web pages, etc. I try to book campsites so we arrive around 3:00 PM or 300 miles or less per day. I’m currently working on this years trip, it is about 2400 miles so will take about 8 days of actual travel. Leaving early to have MorRyde IS suspension system installed at the factory in Elkhart, IN. before the Rally. If you need further information let me know.
Thanks for the info. We're getting our RW back Monday after being at our dealer for a month due to another (3 so far)broken spring. This time all shackles and bolts are being replaced too. This coming weekend we'll be in Redding to go to our granddaughter's wedding that's on the 27th. We're staying at the Redding Premiere RV Resort coming in on April 26 and leaving the 29th. After the wedding we're going to stay put until we leave for the rally, hoping that our RW will stay sound enough to make the trip. My husband still hasn't decided if he's going to get MorRyde suspension in Indiana or in Oregon. We vacation frequently in Oregon. Steve likes to use the Good Sam trip planner too but he thinks it's down due to a system update. Maybe we'll see each other on the trip.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the info. We're getting our RW back Monday after being at our dealer for a month due to another (3 so far)broken spring. This time all shackles and bolts are being replaced too. This coming weekend we'll be in Redding to go to our granddaughter's wedding that's on the 27th. We're staying at the Redding Premiere RV Resort coming in on April 26 and leaving the 29th. After the wedding we're going to stay put until we leave for the rally, hoping that our RW will stay sound enough to make the trip. My husband still hasn't decided if he's going to get MorRyde suspension in Indiana or in Oregon. We vacation frequently in Oregon. Steve likes to use the Good Sam trip planner too but he thinks it's down due to a system update. Maybe we'll see each other on the trip.
We had to have the second shackle bolt replaced at our dealer in Los Banos this year, Lippert had to send a welder out from Indiana to repair the frame which also cracked at the same time. That was enough for us, called MorRyde and set up an appointment to have the IS system installed. They offer a Rally discount if you have it done there during the Rally. We are heading out next week for a River Cruise in Europe or we would look you up in Redding. When you are at the Rally look for a Ruby Red F350 with 36RL-17 trailer it has black, tan and burgundy colors with CA license, we will also have two Golden Retrievers with us. Hope to meet you both there.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #9

Toscano in Los Banos is our dealer too, a long way from Vacaville but way further for you. Hope you enjoy your cruise. Our RW is a 38GK, red, black and tan . We have a white Ram 3500. We have a much loved German Shorthair Pointer. Will for sure look you up at the rally.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Toscano in Los Banos is our dealer too, a long way from Vacaville but way further for you. Hope you enjoy your cruise. Our RW is a 38GK, red, black and tan . We have a white Ram 3500. We have a much loved German Shorthair Pointer. Will for sure look you up at the rally.
Small world, looking forward to meeting you both. We are scheduled to be at the campsite in Shipshewana on 7/10 after MorRyde IS is installed and stay until 7/21. See you then.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW3951WB19 View Post
I have used RV Trip Wizard for planning our RV trips out to 18 months. You can personalize the program for your type of rig including millage, drive time and height. Also the information on the various RV parks is very comprehensive. Read the reviews and look for the site numbers other people liked. I also store information on RV parks and attractions on the site for future reference. The site will also let you set radius of travel and show fuel stations and a multitude of other stores and facilities.

Done With It
tjh@reagan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #12

We use Good Sams RV planner, all it requires is being a good Sams member, they list all campgrounds theirs and others, and do a good job rating same.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:07 AM   #13

tjh@reagan.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh@reagan.com View Post
I have used RV Trip Wizard for planning our RV trips out to 18 months. You can personalize the program for your type of rig including millage, drive time and height. Also the information on the various RV parks is very comprehensive. Read the reviews and look for the site numbers other people liked. I also store information on RV parks and attractions on the site for future reference. The site will also let you set radius of travel and show fuel stations and a multitude of other stores and facilities.

Done With It
I have about two years worth of trips planned also. It is not a bad application for planning to figure out the ballpark cost of trips since it just about every membership clubs, national parks, state parks, and Canadian parks too. I have sent in "issues" where it routes my GCVW 31K, 13.6 high rig through a 10K, 10.6 high covered bridge in PA and routing to military gates with security barriers or gates that are permanently closed.

Michael
RW3951WB19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #14

I use RV Road Trip Wizard for the last 2 years and love it.
excapt1259 is offline   Reply With Quote