Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 02:58 AM   #1
Site Team

Road Conditions

We are preparing for a trip to Washington State. We have a granddaughter (also a daughter and son-in-law) that is counting the days until we show up at her door. Planning to travel I-80 from Indiana across Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming to I-84 in Utah. Then I-84 up into Idaho across Oregon to I-5. Then up I-5 to Lacey, WA.

Does anyone have any experience traveling these routes recently and any issues that you may have run into?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #2

Man, I can't offer any advice, but it sounds like an awesome trip !!

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
lwg

I've done it all from essentially I-25 & I-80 to north on I-5 beyond Seattle. My thoughts are below.

I-80 through Wyoming has to be the hands down windiest section of Interstate period. It's constantly windy, I have yet to travel it where I didn't see semi trailers blown over or signs knocked down. Not trying to scare you, just plan on driving this section early morning and avoid storms.

Once you get into I-84 it's pretty smooth sailing the rest of the way. Oregon has stupid slow speed limits (65 everywhere) however that's not as big of an issue when towing a fifth wheel. I-84 in the Columbia Gorge can be windy at times, but it typically either blows up or down the gorge so you'll either be traveling with the wind or against it, not as a crosswind.

Once you enter Oregon I truly think you are entering the most beautiful areas of the lower 48. Take you time and take it all in. There's no place like it.

One last note. For some unknown reason drivers in the PNW do not understand why there is a left hand lane. They tend to hang out there and travel at or below the speed limit. Just noting the various driving styles with this one more than anything.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

I just came across Utah and Wyoming on I80 about 3 weeks ago no significant issues. We did run into a dust devil (swirling wind) crossing the hi-way and hitting the truck and rv in Wyoming. It gives you a little scare for a few seconds. This one was strong enough to pick up debris in the median. It was a clear day too. I don't recall any major road issues on I80.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
We are preparing for a trip to Washington State. We have a granddaughter (also a daughter and son-in-law) that is counting the days until we show up at her door. Planning to travel I-80 from Indiana across Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming to I-84 in Utah. Then I-84 up into Idaho across Oregon to I-5. Then up I-5 to Lacey, WA.

Does anyone have any experience traveling these routes recently and any issues that you may have run into?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Guy

Guy,

it's a pretty good road shooting across 80 from Illinois to WY. Drink plenty of coffee before you start across Nebraska because that's a long boring state. Also watch for weather. I've hit some pretty bad storms with high winds in Nebraska in the late afternoons. I always make sure that I position myself in such a way that I can hook up quickly and vacate the area if some harsh weather starts coming our way.

Happy Trails
Old 07-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #6

I used to travel I-80 across Neb and Wyoming all the time, it was a favored road to some of the other routes because it was in pretty good shape. Wind can be bad as said, and it seemed is was always under some type of construction.

As Dave said, watch the weather alerts and if you have Doppler, watch the storm movements. Weather has been nasty around here the last few years.

I haven't been up 84, but I did take I-90 (up through 30) to Spokane and that was a gorgeous route.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #7

Guy
From my experience going that direction, I-25 north out of Colo. through Montana/Wyoming & through the central plains states fuel stops for big rigs are few & far between, be sure you are full each day & dont pass up a good opportunity.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #8

The Columbia River Gorge on I-84 is spectacular. If you have a chance, take a drive (WITHOUT the rig) on the E Historic Columbia River Highway through Bridal Veil Falls, just before Portland. It is a very windy and narrow road. It is worth the side trip! Waterfalls are unreal.

Also, I'd take 205 north to pickup I-5 (depending on where your heading in Washington). Portland traffic can be a challenge.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #9

IMHO, an excellent resource while you're on the road.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/index.htm
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Traveling

Agree with LWG on the wind in the gorge. It can be HUGE (and usually is, its the windsurfing capital of the world!). IF you decide to stop there is a SPECTACULAR spot in Boardman, OR (about 2.5 hrs east of Portland, OR) and it's a GORGEOUS park, very big rig friendly, and only about 3/4 mile off of I-84. We are just getting ready to head there for our annual big vacation with a large group. www.boardmanmarinapark.com Yes, the wind will either in front or behind, not sideways. Early morning is best from Hermiston to Troutdale! Also agree with BRENKO on taking I-205. Much better than going through the city.

People come from all over the world to see this GORGEous drive. ENJOY!!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
Traveling

Guy, when are you travelling? We will be in the Gorge staying at Boardman RV park and Marina the July 12th-18th FYI.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Guy, when are you travelling? We will be in the Gorge staying at Boardman RV park and Marina the July 12th-18th FYI.
We will be in the Boardman, OR area on August 8. The Boardman Marina/RV Park is 1 of 2 parks I have been looking at for possible reservations. Thanks for report on the park.

Thanks everyone for the info on the roads and windy conditions in Nebraska and Wyoming. Also the information about using 205 to go around Portland. We should be going through that area on Saturday morning, August 9. We will be staying at Lacey, WA for a couple of days before moving over to the FAMCAMP campground at American Lake near Fort Lewis, WA. Plan to be at that location for about a month. Looking forward to a lot granddaughter, daughter and son-in-law time. Son-in-law is planning a salmon fishing trip off the coast if he can work it in.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote