Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 05:01 AM   #1

Lightbulb Outdoor set-up must-haves?

T-6 days until we are in the RV full-time! Getting very excited. OK... question... what are your must-have outdoor set-up items (chairs, ground covering, lights, etc.)?
WDSFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #2

congratulations on the rest of your life. We use an outdoor rug from camping world to cover the ground and stair covers. Remember not to big on the rug because you are going to need a spot to store all these goodies. A comfortable set of fold-up chairs for YOU and a pair of simple ones for guests and a simple folding table for your favorite beverage or munchies. A small tubby with cover for your outside morning shoes. We don't have lights other than original issue. New rigs have the built in led string lights in there awnings. Also 25% of the time we fold up our awnings before going in for the night just to keep them clean, dry and worry free. All these suggestions are up to your individual life style. If you have not camped a lot then buy a piece at a time. We all know that your the best judge. Have fun and good luck full timing.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

Good advice - I think our first purchase was step covers and rocking chairs,
we've now gone through 4 sets of 'temporary' chairs and since found the best way is to test what others have when you sit around the campfire ! Now we have these for the winter and vented director chairs something like these for warmer times.

but be patient and don't buy EVERYTHING at first like we did
then find out later, you really don't use it...

it will come as you learn what YOU want/need...

but online shopping via google and campingworld.com will entice you with every possible accessory

good luck from a jealous neighbor !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #4

congratulations on going full time.

We have a similar arrangement to the previous post:
- Ground cover mat big enough to cover both doors (we have the FL)
- 2 reclining chairs
- 2 chairs with built in tables
- 2 small folding tables
- 1 4'x2' table
- BBQ with rotisserie & tools
- Gas fireplace
- Vinyl table cover and clamps to hold in place
- Ipod & speaker system
- Mosquito lights, ant spray/powder, etc

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #5

We've gone thru every chair imaginable andfinally decided to drop the coin on Strongback chairs. We'll never go back. We saved the lighter fold-ups for the guests.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

I feel like a test bed for a lot of this stuff, as I've given away more than I have because I didn't like it after I got it.

My favorite things short trip
  • Weber Q120 and folding stand
  • 2 recliners (heavy and clunky but not many alternatives)
  • Large lightweight patio mat
  • Little Red campfire
  • 11lb flat LP tank
  • LED lantern
For those 7 day or longer trips we add to the above:
  • Huge Prest-o-fit rubber backed carpet
  • 4 additional folding chairs
  • Huge screen room with patio mat
  • large campfire LP (Costco)
  • Ice maker outside
  • 64 gt cooler
  • torch lights
  • LP lantern
My lungs don't tolerate a campfire well so we always use gas. I have a little red campfire, but for a larger party, I got this one on sale at Sams for $49 - and it is awesome. Has a secured lid and it rides in the truck http://www.samsclub.com/sams/lp-fire-pit/prod7070144.ip

On chairs I have found - for uneven ground a for legged chair is great, but they sink in any type of sand. For sand you need the type with the horizontal bars across the front and back like a director chair.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:49 AM   #7

We are full-timers, and we've been fine tuning the outdoor essentials as we go, here is a list of the things we have...
- Step covers - we purchased the wrap around covers secured with springs as mentioned above by johnboytoo. A friend has since enlightened me about using cheap indoor/outdoor carpet, just cut to fit and glue it to the steps. The wrap around type hold water, it takes several days some times for them to dry...the I/O carpet dries much faster.
- rockers listed by johnboytoo, we have two
- recliners, these are holdovers from our pop-up days. Ruth likes these so they stay.
- fold-ip chairs, the type that fold up and store in the bags. We usually use these when we visit others who don't have extra chairs.
- carpet - polypro for quick drying...and extremely light!!!!
- BBQ - take your pick, there are LOTS to choose from. We chose one that is light, stainless steel and propane.
Firepit - many campgrounds do not allow ground fires but will allow using a portable fire pit, we chose this one because the legs fold and you can put the entire thing in a carry bag.
- small fold-up table to put between our rockers

No one else has mentioned it yet, it really isn't outdoor furniture but you do keep it outside and it is ESSENTIAL if you plan on camping in most federal, state or county parks with now sewer hook-ups, its the portable waste tank which goes by a variety of names (maybe a new topic...what do you call the waste tank)

As mentioned before, you don't need to purchase all these things right away, take your time and pick things as you find what you want.

Good luck and enjoy your new lifestyle, I hope you find full-timing as much a joy as we do!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Traveling

We have lots of MUST HAVES for US, but everyone has a unique style and opinion, for sure.

Some of our "Faves"

-The little plastic suction cup hooks (usually in bathroom section) for using OUTSIDE on the wall of the coach for hanging up wet towels and jackets.

-3M hooks for a key-holder inside the door, also a hidden one somewhere in a compartment outside, if you like for convenience.

-Ditto on the plastic area mats. They are fantastic. They sweep clean, sand falls through, and you can go out in your socks to put on shoes because they don't absorb water!! Keeps your porch area dry and clean.

-Only two chairs outside for us. Usually if you have get-togethers with others, they can bring their own, or there is a picnic table. They take up precious space.

-Collapsible bucket. SO useful for so many things... draining off a little grey water if needed when not hooked up and carrying to sink waste dump... washing something big outside, etc.

-LOTS of paper plates and plastic cups and silverware. It's like hired help sometimes.

-Shower dispenser for shampoo, etc. NO bottles flying around or need to be stowed.

-Stove-top percolator. Must be able to make coffee!!

There are a lot more, but these jump to mind first.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #9

I like having a camp stove as well, keeps from heating up unit.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

Brandy, ice,Al Green, candle
Duke & Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #11
S&K

All of the ideas above are great! We have the folding ground mat, a couple of recliner chairs from Sam's Club (that come with side tables) and some extra 'bag' chairs for company. We bought a cheap charcoal grill to start out with, but the "must have" was a set of grilling tools that came in a kit that was in a case. It took me two weekends of shopping to find it, but I did! I hate to have utensils flying around the basement, so this was my fix for that! I ended up finding one locally for under $30.00 on sale, most have 20 or more 'things', but I just wanted a brush to clean, a pair of tongs, maybe a fork and then a case to store them in. Keeps it neat and tidy.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #12

For us its all about the beach when we take a long stay trip. Must haves for that are basics. For beachers who go to port A and dont feel like bringing the golf cart for the beach must have a sturdy garden wagon to put beach chairs, umbrellas, towels, dog toys, and oh yeah the beer. 2.has got to be comfy chairs, we use tommy bahama chairs from costco they are cheap on price for what you get and have lasted us a great while as well as coleman fold up chairs for camp site very comfy. 3 are the umbrellas, we again use tommy bahama from costco has a uv film built into it so you dont get burned under it and has a sand screw already on it. 4 has to be bug spray or off clip ons, nothing worse than getting bit up with a sun burn. 5 has to be a great BBQ unit. We went with Coleman lxi unit. Folds up nice and tight for storage and for 150 bucks it has lasted us for 3 years so far with the salt air and still going. The bottles cost about 3:50 for a pair and that will last you about 8 or 9 bbqs. And dont forget to bring your wash brush and hose to spray off your trailer before you leave. Alot easier to clean later if you get most of the salty muck off were you got it from.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #13

These work well with rv's )
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #14

I agree those are nice but my wife went a different approach She found the heaviest with the biggest fatest tires she could find so it would float on top if the sand The bad thing is that she brings it down seperatly with her since I takes up half of the bed of the truck. It is a gorilla wagon that has a tilt back feature to dump out rocks and sand
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 AM   #15

What is Al Green?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
These work well with rv's )
Agree - we picked one up last winter

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com