Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Traveling

Our First Real TRIP! It was AWESOME!

As promised, my review of our first trip. It was a two-week trip, about 1000 miles of towing. For those in a hurry, the short version: Almost everything went GREAT and there were no disasters. For those who want details, read on!
First, this is our spot at this awesome park (Boardman RV Park and Marina), only about 3/4 mile off of a major freeway on the mighty Columbia River in Oregon. Washington State is on the other side of the river. YES that is a RIVER, not a lake!

And yes, the sunsets look like that every single day

I think the most "stressful" times (and not all that stressful) were leaving our park and coming home to our park because it is so dicey getting in and out of here. The coach towed like a DREAM! I know that is in great part due to the heavy duty truck (2014 RAM 3500 4.10 gear ratio). Almost NO chucking, and no issues whatsoever. Again, we are very pleased. The brakes seem to be perfectly adjusted on the coach, we never felt it back there. HUGE difference with the Trail Air pin! WOW. Gas mileage: 9-11 mpg depending.

Todd is still adjusting to the length of the trailer when backing, but he did a great job. As time goes on it will get easier.

We were also happy to learn that the trailer tows silently. We are so used to other rigs that creak and groan and moan. You especially notice it when arriving a departing the park and everyone else looking on. It was a big silent beauty sailing down the road.

Upon arrival at the park everything inside was perfect EXCEPT that our blinds over our dinette had fallen down and gouged our buffet top. Upon further inspection and consulting the DCS installation instructions, it's the same old story... not enough clips. The rear window shade is supposed to have 4 (it has two) and the dinette 3 (again, it has two). We are getting ready for our first warranty trip to service and will ask them to make them the way they should be so they stay put.

I continue to be pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness (and my appreciation of) the whole house water filter. Before delivery I blustered about not using it... I was wrong! It's great and works well and I like having nice clean ice and drinking water and a clean toilet and shower and laundry. So, I must reverse my opinion on that! Love it.

Our campsite in the 105+ temps we had every day in full-sun, and the air conditioners performed flawlessly. The warmest it ever got in the coach was the day we had wind and the awnings were not out, and the sun blasted the coach all day at 108 degrees it was 78 degrees inside. I am extremely pleased!

One of the things we are enjoying the most about fulltiming is the changing view from our "living room window". Sure never had this kind of benefit in the S&B Home!

The first morning we got up and I stumbled out to the coffee maker, it stunned me because it felt like we were "HOME" and yet, the view was amazing!! SO COOL!

And as a special treat, a rare view of Todd in feathers
I couldn't resist. We are enjoying the Mardi Gras party at Boardman. We definitely found a way to enjoy ourselves!

Yes, there have been bumps in the road, but small bumps and we can live with them if they fix them as promised. I very much think that RW needs to address their quality control issues, because I feel like I hear more about this than anything. It seems ridiculous not to, it costs them a lot to pay for warranty work when a clumsy worker made a stupid mistake, but that's what is happening. A huge hole in the bucket in my opinion. We have fixed countless little "boo boos" ourselves. There are some things though that we don't want to mess with.

We have about 8 things on our punch list for warranty work, and ALL of them are stupid, QC issues. They won't even have to order parts.

Our first real trip was a huge success, and we are looking forward to the next one already. Probably will be after the first warranty service visit.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

Glad you had a great time and were able to enjoy you new rig. Our first trip this year was awesome too and had some boo boos too. Some RW some self inflicted but fun anyway. There's always a bump in the road
Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #3

Great pics. My son & his family are moving to Kennewick/tri city area next summer & we are looking forward to a view of the Columbia river like yours. Glad all went well & many more to come.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
Site Team

TNT,

Great pictures. What a nice view looking across the Columbia. Glad your trip went well.

We will be in Boardman staying at the same park on Friday, August 8 overnight. Hope it cools down some by then. We will be on our way to Lacey, WA to visit our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #5

Fantastic view and great pics! Glad your trip went well and you keep a very resolve attitude! That is good. I always figured the worst day in the RV is better than a day not being in the RV

Do a lot of business in the Tri-city WA area, and sometimes treat myself to a flight into Portland and follow the Columbia up by car.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Traveling

When you view life through the eyes of what people INTENDED to do rather than what they may have actually done, you see things differently. It's a better way. Now, that doesn't mean sometimes I see BAD intentions! Yes, AA that drive up the gorge is spectacular, I have lived here my whole life and still am awed by it. Have a great trip Guy! You'll likely either have wind and hot weather or just hot weather! Just take a chair and go sit in the river. Works every time! You can take a cooler with you too... and feathers if you like. There may still be some floating there :-) The park staff there are outstanding.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 AM   #7

Great pictures and report.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Thanks for sharing
Old 07-25-2014, 04:17 AM   #9

TnT,

The sense I get is you are settling in and are pleased great to hear and thanks for sharing. Change is always stressful and you are/have worked through it.

Good on you!

I'll add only, "those that wonder are not always lost!"
Old 07-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #10

Nice report and pictures. I think attitude is very important with this new lifestyle. Being new to a large, 5th wheel, I'm grateful for the knowledge shared on this forum. In the weeks of waiting after we ordered, we were able to adjust our attitude to knowing what the industry is and being prepared for it. The old saying, "It's not a perfect world" is certainly true in the RV world.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #11

Theresa,

Thanks for the report, so glad you and Todd had a successful maiden voyage. The pics are awesome, we haven't camped in the Columbia Gorge but have visited, it is indeed a magnificent place!!

Hope your next adventure is as successful...and welcome to fulltiming!!