Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #1

Oregon....John Day Fossil Beds & Painted Hills area

Does anyone know this area well? And can you recommend a place to stay with our 40' rig? We want to see all 3 units of John Day, and take photos while we're there. I can't seem to figure out the logistics of the area and figure out the best place to stay. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:11 AM   #2

Went to Prineville two summers ago and stayed over 4th of July weekend at Crook County RV Park Crook County Parks and Recreation District

Pretty nice park but it's still about 50 miles to Painted Hills unit and even farther to Sheep Rock unit but both are a photographer's dream. You can go back many times and they won't look the same because of time of day, cloud cover, etc. My son and I hiked for hours and filled up multiple memory cards.
Also west of Prineville in Terrebonne, hiking Smith Rock to see Monkey Face is awesome.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

Jim & Mary

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll check it out. Yes, it seems that everything we've been able to find is some distance away. As photographers, we usually try to get places early, so that becomes a little harder staying so far away. But that may be our only option. Thanks for the suggestion for Smith Rock.....hadn't heard of it, and we love to hike! If anyone knows of any closer places, we're 'all ears'. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #4

The Painted Hills Unit observation point is west of the nicest colored hills, so I think you'll find that afternoon and early evening light will be good. Especially just before sunset.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #5

Jim & Mary

Thanks for steering us in the right direction for time of day at the fossil beds. I did find a couple of great sites for photographers.....sounds like you may be one. :-)

Painted Hills, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, Oregon | OutdoorPhotographer.com

https://guide.oregonfoto.com/2013/03...y-fossil-beds/
Old 06-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #6

Thanks Jim and Mary and fiddleddd for this info. We're hoping to sneak away to Oregon for a few weeks this summer. This has been added to a must see list.
Got any other destinations?
Don and Judith
[SIGPIC]
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #7

Don and Judith

So much to see in Oregon, but we've just scratched the surface. Number 1 in my book is the Oregon Coast. Go to Bandon Beach at a low tide to see the most remarkable sealife. Look up tide tables to see when there will be a negative tide. We're going to Pendleton where they make the woolen blankets. There is supposed to be a colorful underground there as well. Hopefully we'll make it to Crater Lake as well. We also always enjoy the Columbia River Gorge area. Hope this gets you started.