Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #1

Leaving in the morning

Tomorrow morning we pick up our rig from the dealer. It came in during the winter, we did the PDI and have been loading our gear for the last few weeks. Tomorrow morning we have a few little items to go over and off we go. We'll be in Pa. for the month of April about 50 miles from the dealer as we put her through her paces, then back to NY for a month and the season begins. We're all booked through July and now trying to figure out where to go for the rest of the season.
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #2

Man do I wish I had that kind of stress.

West!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:10 AM   #3

I've still gotta wait a couple weeks to pick ours up.You must be flyer pretty high right now.
Happy travelling to you
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Man do I wish I had that kind of stress.

West!
A little stress, this is my first fifth wheel, so I'm a little nervous about my first tow. Last week we drove the route to the campground and the branches seem low after a winter of heavy snow, so the last five miles will be slow through the back road. After reading the threads here I'm nervous about how the rig will perform. So there's at least a little stress.
I'm sure once we get there I'll be able to relax and enjoy it. Lastly once my wife got done packing we're probably well over the GVW
Old 04-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

If you are like me, you'll be driving down the middle of the road to dodge trees until you get used to your height limit. Not sure I have yet.

Campgrounds and gas stations are the worst - I've had to back out of both before.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #6

We got to the dealer 9:00am sharp. They had a tech there waiting for us. We did a refresher on the PDI and then the few items we couldn't do because the rig was winterized. We energized the water system fired up the heat a few more minute for some minor things and then hooked up. We left the dealer apprehensive to say the least. The last 3 miles every tree looked like it would hit the roof, so I kept ducking at every branch. We're here we set up we're putting it all together and I'm loving it.
I'm sitting in the recliner with a smile from ear to ear. living large.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #7

Fantastic!

Once you knock the air conditioners off, you fit under most trees after that

If I understand, you didn't get much chance to check water appliances. Keep an eye out, and you might reach in that access door in the basement and snug up some of those fittings. Check your carpet and floors every once in a while. The drains tend to loosen up on the road a little too as the putty settles in the base of the sinks and tub, etc. At least Redwood makes most all of this reasonably accessible.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #8

Thanks for the hints, after reading the threads here I've been in every compartment at least 3 or 4 times in the daylight and now with a flashlight at night to see if I missed something. Shhhhhhhhh all looks well at this time
Old 04-05-2014, 02:22 AM   #9
S&K

So happy for you! Say it was worth it all.

I'm so tickled that we're doing so well in our "hooking up" practices! Soon, we will take ours out for trial runs. (We have short routes with turns, stops, back-ups, etc. all within a 5 mile run)

Keep all your hints and tricks coming! Makes the learning curve much shorter on our end!

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #10

It's definately worth it. I guess we jumped right into the fire. Today was the first time we hooked up at the dealer (with help) but unhooked at the campground alone. I've never towed a fifth wheel so today was the day. The first 5 miles were streets, the last 15 were a combination of streets and back roads. The last 3 were a bit of a nail biter. Then my first back in with my new trailer was a breeze. Then all the buttons worked and now we're getting ready for our first nights sleep in our new rig.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:00 AM   #11

Congratulations and enjoy!!
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #12

You'll have a wonderful time with your new rig! Before you know it you'll be giving others the old timer opinions! May the camping and towing gods be with you!
usaf1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

Enjoy it! I bet you find yourself smiling for no reason at all!