Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

Laramie WY

Taking our first trip with the Redwood. KOA next to I-80 isn't the prettiest place to stay, but Laramie is a great home base for outstanding Fly fishing, a friendly community, hiking and rock climbing.

Towed our new to us Redwood for the first time. Went Omaha to Laramie without an issue except with my 2015 Ram DRW not taking fuel from the large truck stop nozzle.

Excellent trip so far. Ram with the Anderson hitch tows like there is nothing behind you, exhaust breaking was excellent......and the Redwood:

She's beautiful down the road, everything worked as expected, set up (our first time) took a grand total of 10 minutes from pulling in to plopping down in the recliner. The Heat pump was perfect for the cool Wyoming night, the kids slept comfortably on the sofa and recliner, and we simply love the floor plan. Could not be more satisfied!

Mike and Tammie
WarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #2

OK, I'm curious about the large nozzle. Did it not fit into the filler and do you have the new capless filler? I have yet to put fuel in mine and love the high volume nozzles at the truck stops. If it doesn't fit mine, I will look awful silly using a funnel to put fuel in the truck!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

I have the cap less with DEF next to it. I actually wondered if it might not take it so stopped soon enough that I could go elsewhere if needed. You can't the the nozzle down far enough for it to feed into the tank. However they designed it, I turned it on and ended up with $1.23 worth of fuel on the ground and over the side of my truck. The RV islands are now my only option when towing. I LOVE every aspect of my 15' Crew, Laramie edition, Longbox DRW 3500 except the gas/DEF fill set up. My in town MPGs for daily driving as a realtor are excellent with the 3.42 axle ratio, and towing was a breeze and averaged 8.9 going from 700 feet to 8600 feet in altitude...my Chevy was 7-8 for this leg of the trip...going home and down is always better :-)

I'd suggest sticking with the RV islands to fill. if you figure out a way to fill with the big nozzle please post or message me...it would be very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
OK, I'm curious about the large nozzle. Did it not fit into the filler and do you have the new capless filler? I have yet to put fuel in mine and love the high volume nozzles at the truck stops. If it doesn't fit mine, I will look awful silly using a funnel to put fuel in the truck!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #4

Will do. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenR View Post
Taking our first trip with the Redwood. KOA next to I-80 isn't the prettiest place to stay, but Laramie is a great home base for outstanding Fly fishing, a friendly community, hiking and rock climbing.

Towed our new to us Redwood for the first time. Went Omaha to Laramie without an issue except with my 2015 Ram DRW not taking fuel from the large truck stop nozzle.

Excellent trip so far. Ram with the Anderson hitch tows like there is nothing behind you, exhaust breaking was excellent......and the Redwood:

She's beautiful down the road, everything worked as expected, set up (our first time) took a grand total of 10 minutes from pulling in to plopping down in the recliner. The Heat pump was perfect for the cool Wyoming night, the kids slept comfortably on the sofa and recliner, and we simply love the floor plan. Could not be more satisfied!

Mike and Tammie
Mike,

I spent many nights not far from there on the "Snow Range Pass". Beautiful area of the country. I grew up going out to Saratoga to visit family 3 times a year. I'm planing a trip very soon with one of my adult sons for a little father/son time.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:41 AM   #6

Sounds like a great trip with your son. My wife, two youngest, and our Newfoundland dog hiked around Libby Flats today. Floating the North Platte around Saratoga Sunday. I'm a UW alum and come up often. If you ever want to try fly fishing I have a great guide to recommend who is outstanding with all levels of experience.

Enjoy your trip and be sure to hit the hot springs!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Mike,

I spent many nights not far from there on the "Snow Range Pass". Beautiful area of the country. I grew up going out to Saratoga to visit family 3 times a year. I'm planing a trip very soon with one of my adult sons for a little father/son time.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #7

Used an rv island yesterday at a Flying J & you are SOL there as it had the huge diesel nozzle, so all islands aren't created equal. I think I'd go back to the dealer & have a different fill neck installed.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenR View Post
I have the cap less with DEF next to it. I actually wondered if it might not take it so stopped soon enough that I could go elsewhere if needed. You can't the the nozzle down far enough for it to feed into the tank. However they designed it, I turned it on and ended up with $1.23 worth of fuel on the ground and over the side of my truck. The RV islands are now my only option when towing. I LOVE every aspect of my 15' Crew, Laramie edition, Longbox DRW 3500 except the gas/DEF fill set up. My in town MPGs for daily driving as a realtor are excellent with the 3.42 axle ratio, and towing was a breeze and averaged 8.9 going from 700 feet to 8600 feet in altitude...my Chevy was 7-8 for this leg of the trip...going home and down is always better :-)

I'd suggest sticking with the RV islands to fill. if you figure out a way to fill with the big nozzle please post or message me...it would be very helpful!
That's interesting. We have a 15 RAM and I used the big truck nozzle about a month ago. It was a tight fight but went all the way in. It was at a Pilot, without RV islands. Wonder if all big nozzles are not bent the same.

Rick
Old 09-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
That's interesting. We have a 15 RAM and I used the big truck nozzle about a month ago. It was a tight fight but went all the way in. It was at a Pilot, without RV islands. Wonder if all big nozzles are not bent the same.

Rick
There are so many things just wrong with what you just said!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:35 AM   #10

Was wondering who would make the first comment.
GTXRAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:52 AM   #11

That's funny. My 14 Ram has the non cap with the DEF on the side. Every time I've tried to put the nozzle in, it worked just fine. Yea, you have to move it around a bit to get it to fit, but it will go. Now, as far as filling, you just have to be careful about squeezing it too hard. Too hard, and it fills too fast. Now, when you are done, be carefull about taking it out as the ribs on those big trucker nozzles can mess up the fill cap.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:54 AM   #12

Just curious, when did removing the cap become such a big PITA that they started putting these types of caps on the tanks??
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:29 AM   #13

You must have got an odd size nozzle. I just got back from our trip and I always stop the truck stops, usually Pilot, Flying J, but avoid Love's if at all possible. In fact, I have a Pilot/Good Sam's reward card/ credit card. I never have trouble with the fill nozzle, other than having to wiggle it around a little.

Fred
Old 09-12-2015, 04:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
Was wondering who would make the first comment.
And it wasn't me!

But to put the issue to rest, the answer is no.