Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #41

for those wondering about the auto retract wind option...

MOST people I know disable theirs because it is not very dependable...
a LIGHT puff and they retract
OR 50 mph and they don't retract

so they, like us, use common sense
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #42
Traveling

Yes, I agree. I was talking to some folks on our trip about awnings and they had the self-retracting and disabled the feature for the exact same reason. Not reliable.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #43
Traveling

In his email to RW, (he sent it to me) he told them it was a 1 1/2 inch screw...
<sigh>
It was a HALF INCH screw. I WISH it was a 1 1/2 inch screw!!! I guess I better get a hold of Redwood. This is starting out poorly.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #44
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Those look JUST LIKE ours. They are supposed to be (at a minimum) 1 1/2 inch lag bolts (which have deep threads). Those do not appear to be that. Like I said, it's not such a big deal to replace them with what is required. It is a super big deal to deal with what we are dealing with right now. Wish I would have known.

While they may appear tight, take another look at the picture I posted of the screws and the threads and how tiny they are. Imagine how easy it would be to pull those out of the wall... Very easy. Very small threads.
So what exactly is everyone upgrading their bolts to? Mine looks just like the picture posted above, 2 #10 screws at the tops of the channels. I didn't dig behind the beauty cover on the bottom to see if there's more screws or not, something's holding it down there. I know I removed one of the top screws (and replaced it) when I installed my aftermarket LED lights, I thought it was kind of lightweight considering the job it's earmarked for performing.

As with others, I've seen awning tied down with springs and basically left up year round. This was in Phoenix where its generally not windy, but they do get the occasional dust storm with burst of high winds so that's something. I was hoping to do the same when we get back down there for winter, just install some quick disconnects so that I can roll it up when needed.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #45

Did the screw go into a alum tube any longer screw you will have a hatrack on the inside
gocubs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs17 View Post
Did the screw go into a alum tube any longer screw you will have a hatrack on the inside
Stick a nail in the hole that you want to put the larger screw in and see where it bottoms out. That will tell you how long a screw you can use. When my valance came down I put a nail in the hole and was able to determine I could use a 2" screw with no problems, same here in the wall.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:50 AM   #47
Traveling

The threads of the screw didn't even go all the way through the 1/8" tube wall. Like I said, Carefree specs are a minimum of 1 1/2 lag bolt. In some cases 2 1/2.
Do the math (and these are minimums):
awning bracket thickness +1/8"
fiberglass/gelcoat +1/4"
aluminum tube wall +1/8"
and that isn't including the tape and etc. that's in there and the wrap on the trailer. Then look at the threads on the screw: 1/2" !! Don't count the self-tapping section, there's no grab there.

I think it's even more about the size of the threads. The threads on these screws are very minimal. I have been in contact with Redwood, and so far, they are helping me. I'll keep you posted. They sure are great on the phone, answered immediately and were attentive. Still, we'll see who repairs the awning. I still think Redwood will stand by it. Bottom line: My awning fell off of my brand new trailer.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #48
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
Stick a nail in the hole that you want to put the larger screw in and see where it bottoms out. That will tell you how long a screw you can use. When my valance came down I put a nail in the hole and was able to determine I could use a 2" screw with no problems, same here in the wall.
I would use a molly and a bolt. It's HOLLOW in there on the other side of the tubing. Maybe it's overkill, but so what?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Linda View Post
Chuck, Redwood offers the UnaGuard Awning option which is supposed to retract itself automatically.
The UnaGuard is a metal cover on the leading edge of the awning rail that covers the awning when retracted - no auto retract about it.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/ca...ction=upgrades
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
This revelation of how the awnings awe attached to the coach is disturbing. This raises two questions for me...
1. How can we protect our awnings for a similar fate...better yet, how can REDWOOD protect our awnings?
2. I know Carefree has an option where the awnings will automatically retract when it senses excessive wind, is this an option on our Redwoods?
Can you retrofit existing awnings with the auto-retract option?
There is a "Direct Response" kit for the Eclipse and Travler that can be retrofitted to existing. It uses motion sensing (improved over prior version that used wind sensor).

Old 07-25-2014, 01:11 AM   #51
Traveling

AA that is exciting! I am going to look into that! You know, I had a lot of ideas about what would be wrong with our new RW... the awning falling off never crossed my mind.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 AM   #52

I was happy with running new 1-1/2" lag bolts into new pilot drilled holes.

The problem with he self drilling bolts Redwood uses, is the drill head is the only thing that gets past the wood behind the siding. There are no pipes in the exterior walls. I took a chance on the wiring and just went for it. I haven't done the slide awning (2nd awning) but I think I will. Mollies are messy and not sure they are necessary, in fact, when they pull back on insulation or even the aluminum stud, they are doing more damage than good. I installed my own Carefree Travler electric awning on our last SOB and never had an issue when using the screw recommended by Carefree.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:16 AM   #53
Traveling

I think that sounds perfect. We are going to do the same. And you are right... there is ***NOTHING*** in that area in the wall. Easy to see from the receptacle in the bedroom closet! ;-)
Old 07-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #54

Quote:
AA that is exciting! I am going to look into that! You know, I had a lot of ideas about what would be wrong with our new RW... the awning falling off never crossed my mind.
I hear ya! I didn't expect mine to just pop loose for no reason either. Interrupted a good start on fresh Mojito!, and I never drive ladders when I'm drinking so I had to set it down
Old 07-25-2014, 01:35 AM   #55

Helped a fellow RW owner install LED lights above main awning & he hid the controller inside the porch light, that being said, we had to drill out a cavity behind the light to hide wiring & the exterior wall has a layer of fiberglass, a layer of 3/8-1/2" plywood of some sort, approx. 1 1/2" of Styrofoam, & 1/8" paneling on inside. Should not have any problems with a 1 1/4" lag & if it hit an aluminum stud all the better.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 AM   #56

TNTBaker,

Please post the result of your discussions w/ RW. I am going to ask for the fix during my service before the rally. Its the least they can do.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #57

Quote:
BAD NEWS: Looks like the service guy-Richard Tran-at B. Young RV has already made up his mind about our awnings. I guess there is no possibility of warranty coverage if your own dealership is lobbying against you

His email:

I just want to make sure theres no miscommunication, more than likely your awning will not get covered by the manufacture. I have already sent an email to the manufacture and will see how to advise this situation. I know for a fact that the awning had to take a great amount of force to rip the awning arm out and bend. Usually when theres a down pour of any kind, it is the owners responsibility to pull the awning back in so that it doesn’t get damaged.
<end>

My reply if you are interested:
Hello Richard;
It's important that you understand this very clearly. It sounds like you have decided that we are responsible for this awning problem and I am concerned.
Remember:
Our awnings WERE angled to allow rain runoff, this should not have happened-rain does not break angled awnings.
You are correct, it did take a great amount of force to bend those arms. About as much as the entire roller weight falling from a great height would do this. IF THEY HAD BEEN INSTALLED CORRECTLY IT WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. We have contacted Carefree and we can send you their opinion about it if you like.

Please send me a copy of the email you sent to Redwood. The installation was FAR from spec, per Carefree. That awning was barely fastened. It would take little force to separate the screws, and then it's own weight falling clearly bent the arms. It's obvious. Let's hope that you communicated this to Redwood. I will wait for your email to them.
So you need to bypass Mr. Tran. Call Ryan Mansfield the service Manger. Tell him your displeasure with Mr. Tran making a warranty decision without the facts and forwarding miss information to Redwood. To be blunt, the Service writers are idiots! mine was arguing with me saying the furnace won't move much air into the living room. (They don't when the heat ducts are torn in two) He also tried to tell me it was OK for the slide seals not to be compressed at the top when slid in. Clearly yours has no clue what so ever how an awing should be installed! Once you get Ryan involved the flow of the repair goes in a much different direction.
I'll be out tomorrow checking to see how my Awning is installed and if it's the same as yours you can bet it will be remedied by the dealer not me. One other thing I have found dealing with that dealer, if you walk in and talk face to face you get a lot different answers than you do over the phone or by email.
Good luck, I know if you are persistent this will get fixed as it should!
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
There is a "Direct Response" kit for the Eclipse and Travler that can be retrofitted to existing. It uses motion sensing (improved over prior version that used wind sensor).

Thanks for the post Brad, I did a search at Carefree and found the same results.

We have the uniguard on our main awning and not the wind/motion sensor. These are two separate options. When we ordered our RW we decided not to go with the wind sensors in part based on the recommendation of our dealer who told of the problems associated with them being oversensitive. Perhaps the new motion sensor option is improved, I wonder how difficult it would be to install?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #59

Brad, Thank you for the clarification. Our dealer informed us the Unagard option included the auto-retract. My ignorance to not verify. Sorry to post misinformation.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #60
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I was happy with running new 1-1/2" lag bolts into new pilot drilled holes.
Did you stick with the same #10 size, just 1 1/2" length? Going to Lowes tonight for a few things, might pickup 6 of these for a project tomorrow...