Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #1

Going to the Northeast next summer and am starting to make plans

Any suggestions for Maine and what to see and good camp sites? Also we are planning on going on to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Suggestions on roads to travel and camp sites and places to see?
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #2

Just remember: It doesn't cost to cross the Bridge into PEI, but it will cost you to leave. Think somewhere around $50 to $60, at least a few years ago.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #3

I am at the Skowhegan/Canaan, Maine KOA. We are going to NB this weekend to visit the English (Prince William) version of Colonial Williamsburg. Campgrounds are nice for the most part. Best place to stay is around Bar Harbor, but you need to book "now". If you are pulling with a dually, some of the side streets may not fit. You will want to travel Highway 1, which is the coastal road. Lots of nice towns such as Camden, Belfast, etc.. Early summer are lots of small fruit fests. Also lots of biting black flies, mosquitos, gold looking deer flies. Now we have lots of nats flying around. If the campground is dry, then not much of a problem. Maine (like most of the east coast) has a turnpike system. They charge by the wheel, not axle. Be prepared for about 90 in tolls getting here. Bar Harbor just put in parking meters this year. Pay by credit card. Fairly cheap. To get to NB, take I-95 north till Calais, Maine, (pronounced Callous), this is the closest border crossing from Bar Harbor. If you go further north into the "County" which is Aroostook County, there are multiple border crossings. My wife says I talk to much, but if you want anymore info, just let me know. Oh yeah, most moose sitings are on Highway 11 and 161 going to Fort Kent area which you should visit.

Michael
RW3951WB19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #4

Can write again, wife at work now...Meant to mention. Be prepared for short looking underpasses on the interstate. Most I-95/295 bridges are only 13 feet, 14 inches. If you have a satellite antenna on top of your RV, make sure it is down. There are height restrictions and sensors to measure your height, if too high, you are directed off the highway. But once you get here, enjoy the seal, whale, puffin, and other boat tours. Can get on Schooners for day trips, some have evening dinner served, lots of walking trails, Acadia National Park to visit, Camden is the town if you are young enough to remember where Peyton Place was filmed. If you are into Stephen King, he lives in Bangor and you can stop and take pictures of his spooky themed gate. Just a lot to see and do here. Need to go visit Baxter State Park area and Mount Katahdin, to possibly see bears (get spray).

And in the event you have RV problems, Harvey's RV near Bangor is a good Crossroads/Redwood Service Center. They do have two 14'4" bridges getting to them on Highway 15N coming from Bangor.
RW3951WB19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Thanks and I'll take any information you can give me.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #6

I messaged you about our trip. Did you get it?
Old 09-30-2019, 03:24 AM   #7

I know this is not what u asked for but just a reminder... NO guns, long or hand. NO pepper /bear spray. NO stun guns/tasers. All are weapons and are jailable in Canada. Along with your unit being seized.
Just an FYI
also try not to go in the area of within 300 miles of Quebec during the last week of july and first of August. They have a construction shut down and almost all industries close so CGs are generally booked to the hilt and are at full rate.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:47 AM   #8

[QUOTE=ted 95;84799]I know this is not what u asked for but just a reminder... NO guns, long or hand. NO pepper /bear spray. NO stun guns/tasers. All are weapons and are jailable in Canada. Along with your unit being seized. QUOTE]

Strange. We went to Banff about eight years ago with some friends. He had a .410 shotgun he kept under his couch. He declared it going in and the border agent came in the coach and looked at it and passed him through.

Also found this:

In general, Americans are allowed to bring up to three allowed guns into Canada as long as the proper forms are filled out and fees paid. Guns must be declared at the border crossing. Even when guns are declared and the proper forms are completed, Canadian border service officers require travelers to prove they have a valid reason for bringing a firearm into the nation. In addition, the border officers will check to ensure that all firearms are safely stored for transportation and that the guns actually being transported match those described in the declaration documents.
Most problems arise from Americans simply forgetting they have a handgun with them when crossing the border. This happens most often to Americans from states which allow their citizens to carry concealed weapons. Failure to declare any firearm will result in the confiscation and probably the destruction of the weapon. A fine will be assessed and jail is a possibility.