Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
Site Team

Full Time Insurance Questions

Ok ~ looking for others that have been there ahead of me and who did/are you use for Insurance coverage,

We will be Fulltime and South Dakota "residents" in May this year.

I'm getting quotes on the coach and vehicles. Some are ok, some are outrageous and one in particular is really good coverage and reasonable.

If any of you are SD, who's your preference for coverage ?

As usual, many thanks in advance and hope I see a bunch of old friends and new friends at the Rally
Old 03-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #2

We use Good Sam right now, but coming up on the three year mark. I have heard they raise rates after that?? Not sure that is true? Heard Progressive may be good too. Not many companies offer full-timer insurance.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:17 AM   #3

I use Progressive Fulltimers Insurance for my Redwood, costs have been reasonable, I have been happy.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:48 AM   #4

We have also used Progressive since 2006 and have nothing but good things to say. Never a major claim but did have to put a few windshields in the MH and always easy to deal with.
Progressive just broke into the commercial auto business out this way and I just switched the work trucks over to them also in Jan.

Steve
Old 03-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #5

We are SD residents and go through Good Sam, currently with Progressive. BlueSky raised our renewal for this year about 30% with no claims. We have switched every year we have had the RW because of rate raises with no claims from us. the GS agent makes it easy to get multiple quotes.

Vaughan,

What mail service did you settle on?

Rick
Old 03-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #6

We have had Progressive for a while now. Switched from Blue Sky because of rate increases. We had a claim last year due to a blow out and they were great to work with.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Rick, went with Americas Mailbox in Box Elder. Talked to them on the phone and then met them in Hershey at the show. Had everything I needed and also make it very easy to get the residence done as they have both a B&B and a campground on site. We're going out next month to spend a couple days and get our licenses and registrations switched.

I have Progressive right now for the coach, have had it since we bought it. So far best overall quote and coverage is through National General.

Vaughan
Old 03-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Rick, went with Americas Mailbox in Box Elder. Talked to them on the phone and then met them in Hershey at the show. Had everything I needed and also make it very easy to get the residence done as they have both a B&B and a campground on site. We're going out next month to spend a couple days and get our licenses and registrations switched.

I have Progressive right now for the coach, have had it since we bought it. So far best overall quote and coverage is through National General.

Vaughan
Vaughan,

We are with them also. So welcome neighbor.

Rick
Old 03-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #9

Vaughan,
40 plus years in the insurance business, most threads like these focus on cost and the insurance companies. Two things that you should look at are coverage and depreciation. Cost can be dependent on what your purchase so be careful.

Coverage:

1.) Many companies offer full replacement cost for the RV in the first 5 model years. What happens to the coverage in year 6 and beyond is critical. Most companies coverage reverts to ACV (actual cash value) after the expiration of replacement cost. A 5 plus year old RV has significantly depreciated. Therefore the amount you can recover is significantly reduced. The cost of this policy should be a whole lot less than the following policy.

2.) Other companies that have full replacement cost for 5 years, offer agreed value for years 6 and on. The definition of agreed value (refer to the contract) normally is the purchase price of the RV when new. In this scenario, you could recover the full purchase price in the event of a loss rather than the fully depreciated RV. The difference can be $50,000 or more, thus this superior coverage is most likely more expensive.

Depreciation:

We all know that once you drive the new car off the lot, it looses value. Same or more is true with the RV. Once the RV is used, it might be a big mistake to change insurance companies. You might loose the full replacement cost coverage or you might not be able to buy the agreed value based on the purchase price.

Bottom line:

I have seen so many folks change companies because they saved a few hundred dollars. A big saving for sure, but often they have given up significant coverage in the loss settlement provisions of the policy they had....best lesson......read the loss settlement provisions. Then make an informed decision on price vs coverage.

Hope that helps some.

Ken

BTW, some companies allow medium duty pickups on the RV policy. Therefore the truck can also have the same loss provisions as the RV, replacement cost for the first 5, agreed value (purchase price) for year 6 and beyond. Guess how I have my F450 insured!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Thanks Ken, I had picked up on that difference as I looked at quotes. I currently have Progressive with Replacement for the first 5 years (I've had same policy since I bought it) and then purchase price thereafter. I may just keep this one and switch the resident state (have to call and see what the premium will be).

Of the other quotes (some are ridiculous and didn't even listen to what I wanted in coverage), the one I'm happy with is from National General and does include agreed value.