Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

2017 Redwood Disc Brake Installs

I am setting appointments for Disc Brake Installations at the Rally.
If you have not received an email from me confirming your arrival & departure dates, I DO NOT have you on the schedule and you will need to contact me.
Ron 405-626-7009

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:50 AM   #2

I know you come to Florida sometimes in the winter. I am interested in your breaks if you do come south. I cannot attend the rally this year. If you know your schedule please let me know. I live in Naples.

Dave
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #3

Yes, we will be in FL this winter. Please email me your contact info.
Ronald_Russell@sbcglobal.net www.performancetrailerbraking.com

Ron & Margaret
Old 06-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #4

Ron,

Thanks again for your help on the phone yesterday! I took the truck to the dealer and they can not find an issue. The controller works on drum electric brakes....

I will start a new thread and try both GM dealer Techline and Carlisle support Monday.

Very frustrating not being able to move my trailer.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
Ron,

Thanks again for your help on the phone yesterday! I took the truck to the dealer and they can not find an issue. The controller works on drum electric brakes....

I will start a new thread and try both GM dealer Techline and Carlisle support Monday.

Very frustrating not being able to move my trailer.

I am interested in what you found. Was it the Hydrastar?

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ron & Margaret
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
I am interested in what you found. Was it the Hydrastar?

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here is a copy of my post to Vaughn. I actually did not need to run another wire through the pin box either. I just needed to find the one that they were supposed to hook to the yellow. They had it in the ground bundle....

Thanks for asking.

Vaughn,

I believe that I have found the issue and it appears to be Redwoods hacking together the wiring! GM's controller by sensing the wiring problem could have saved lives. Boo on me for not knowing that I had no break-away brakes either.

Seems that Redwood did not have a wire for the break-away switch separately run from the pin junction box so they just tied the yellow wire for the break-away to the blue wire for the controller. This was done at the factory at the brake module in the battery compartment.

I fixed the brake issue by separating the yellow and blue wires at the pump but now need to fish a wire from the junction box (hooked to the cold side of the break-away switch) down to the yellow wire on the brake pump module.

BTW GM's new internal controllers are now compatible with either electric or electric over hydraulic without the need for the CAM module. You are correct that the older ones had to be "tricked".
Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #7

When is the next rally you will be installing? Any issues with the ram factory brake controller?
Anipp1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
Here is a copy of my post to Vaughn. I actually did not need to run another wire through the pin box either. I just needed to find the one that they were supposed to hook to the yellow. They had it in the ground bundle....

Thanks for asking.

Vaughn,

I believe that I have found the issue and it appears to be Redwoods hacking together the wiring! GM's controller by sensing the wiring problem could have saved lives. Boo on me for not knowing that I had no break-away brakes either.

Seems that Redwood did not have a wire for the break-away switch separately run from the pin junction box so they just tied the yellow wire for the break-away to the blue wire for the controller. This was done at the factory at the brake module in the battery compartment.

I fixed the brake issue by separating the yellow and blue wires at the pump but now need to fish a wire from the junction box (hooked to the cold side of the break-away switch) down to the yellow wire on the brake pump module.

BTW GM's new internal controllers are now compatible with either electric or electric over hydraulic without the need for the CAM module. You are correct that the older ones had to be "tricked".
That sounds similar to what the Dealer said on ours. You would think after so many years Hydrastar woiuld sit down with Redwood and show them what they are doing wrong - certainly they get a ton of calls.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
That sounds similar to what the Dealer said on ours. You would think after so many years Hydrastar woiuld sit down with Redwood and show them what they are doing wrong - certainly they get a ton of calls.
I think they're just slow learners! How many year models have they had that they didn't caulk the shower door track, miswiring cable /satellite runs or 1 screw in the water filter mounting. Ahh! All of them.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anipp1207 View Post
When is the next rally you will be installing? Any issues with the ram factory brake controller?
I know there will be installers at the Redwood National Rally.
No issues with the Ram integrated controllers.

Ron & Margaret