Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 AM   #1

Window track problem

We have two windows that keep popping the two rollers out of the tracks. WE are not excessively tightening when closing. they have each been repaired twice under warranty, and now the warranty has run out. Any advice as to how to fix these little critters a better way? Thanks, y'all!

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:02 AM   #2

Contact Kinro (window makers) & ask their advice. I'm or sure how yours are jumping track unless you mean the little arms that operate them, none of mine slide.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the resource. Yes, I'm talking about the arms that push and pull window in and out. The round discs that roll in the window track keep popping out and the window won't close. The service tech said that the only way to fix them is to drill out the rivets in the arms, put the rollers back into the track from the end and re-rivet the arm. As I have relied on the warranty to fix it (first mistake) I haven't looked to see if there was anything wrong with the track itself-bent or something (second mistake). As it happens so frequently, I was wondering if anyone had successfully replaced the rivets with small nut/bolts?

Kent & Mindy
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
Old 04-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #4

We have not had a problem with the RW windows but on our previous MH we had that issue and I replaced the rivets with a Machine screw and nut. I put a Screw through Roller slid it in position put wash and a lock nut to hold it in place but enough slack so that it would slide in the track easily and a Washer on each side of the arm with another lock nut on top to hold arm in place. This worked well for us but have not had to do this on the RW. One reminder if you over tighten the window you can pull the roller out of the track.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #5

Good. I'll try the machine screw. My wife is the one who closes the windows and I'm not about to challenge her on how tight she closes them. She says she doesn't over-tighten. So she doesn't over-tighten. Thanks!

Kent & Mindy
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #6

Where ever you are taking it warranty & they can't fix that little window issue on the 1st try, you need to find another shop before something serious breaks. Sounds like they didn't even try.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4happyfeet View Post
We have two windows that keep popping the two rollers out of the tracks. WE are not excessively tightening when closing. they have each been repaired twice under warranty, and now the warranty has run out. Any advice as to how to fix these little critters a better way? Thanks, y'all!
I had this problem on one of my RW windows. They fixed it at my local shop, during routine checkup, and put new arms on.. One thing I did, after the windows had been shut for awhile, is to gently rotate the knob just a little, then go outside and pull on the window slightly. The flat windows seem to stick just a little to the surface they mate to outside. There is probably some lubricant that would work well out there.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

That's the same conclusion I came to. I have some dry Teflon spray that I'm going to try. Either that or some seal lube that was recommended for the slide seals. Thanks for your input.

Kent

Kent & Mindy
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4happyfeet View Post
That's the same conclusion I came to. I have some dry Teflon spray that I'm going to try. Either that or some seal lube that was recommended for the slide seals. Thanks for your input.

Kent
The best, cheapest slide seal conditioner is furniture polish (recommended by the factory service center), I buy the imitation "Pledge" at the dollar store & have been using it for 4 years. BTW it would work on window gaskets also, dirt doesn't stick to it.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 04-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #10

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll go get me some of that!

Kent & Mindy
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL