Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #1

Well it stormed real bad last night in Pensacola and the wife and were at Blue Angel Campground and one window leaked from all the rain. I know I should not have any leaks but I feel fortunate that was the only leak. And has much and as hard as it rained it got a good leak check. I will get my ladder out today when I get off work and see if I can find where the leak is coming from.

I am just glad the DW and I decided to stay in the Redwood last night. If not the floor would have been soaked.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredtp
Well it stormed real bad last night in Pensacola and the wife and were at Blue Angel Campground and one window leaked from all the rain. I know I should not have any leaks but I feel fortunate that was the only leak. And has much and as hard as it rained it got a good leak check. I will get my ladder out today when I get off work and see if I can find where the leak is coming from.

I am just glad the DW and I decided to stay in the Redwood last night. If not the floor would have been soaked.
Which window was it? Do you have dual pane windows? We'll be staying at the Pensacola Beach RV Park tomorrow ourselves.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #3

Emerald Coast RV Center is an authorized Crossroads service center, as such, will work on Redwoods. Their location is 6240 Gulf Breeze Parkway and their phone number is 850-939-3484. We live in Saint Augustine, Fl and Ocean Grove RV in Saint Augustine is also an authorized Redwood repair center. They are conveniently located 6 miles from our house!!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

Yes have dual pane windows. It is R/H rear window, I put a small bead of clear sealant on the top and down both sides. Let dry and took the hose to it. No leaks. It rained again today and no leaks. Hopefully I got it. We are home now.
Got to get me some slide toppers put on though, had them on my last 5th wheel and I miss them. Had to get up there in the rain and sweep the slides off, was no fun. Other then that window leak I am very happy with my Redwood.
USN Retired
Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Site Team

We just got out of a monsoon in Florida and the only windows that leaked were the emergency windows. It wasn't bad and was caused by the driving wind off the beach.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
We just got out of a monsoon in Florida and the only windows that leaked were the emergency windows. It wasn't bad and was caused by the driving wind off the beach.
No excuse. The windows should not leak. Dave. Why continue to make excuses for the manfacture lack of quality control.

Lillyputz Edited by: lillyputz
Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz
Quote:
No excuse. The windows should not leak. Dave. Why continue to make excuses for the manfacture lack of quality control.

Lillyputz
Because I'm reasonable.....I few ounces of water getting around a rubber seal of a emergency window, in unusual conditions has NOTHING to do with quality control. The wind was so strong that the Tiffin Bus had the slide topper ripped off. I guess that was Tiffin's fault? It's not a perfect world and these RV's go through some unusual conditions at times. I went all around my trailer looking at the slides....no leaks! I'm a happy camper
Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #8

Yes I am a happy camper also Dave. The rain was bad. We do not live in a perfect world. Nothing is perfect.
USN Retired
Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #9

Lillyputz...I agree. If I had a contractor install new windows and they leaked, I'd surely be on the phone with the contractor. The manufacturers of RVs are well aware of the conditions to which their products are subjected to and the design and construction of their product should meet and exceed those conditions.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #10

Dave - I concur. If a manufacturer designed everything to survive every eventuality, we as consumers couldn't afford the products. Selecting design criteria is a form of risk control, they select criteria that willexperienced most of the time.
We live in an eathquake zone and the building codes are designed for about the 100 yr quake. When a bigger quake arrives I expect to make an insurance claim, if the insurer survives. If buildings were built to survive a 200 or 300 yr quake we either couldn't afford them or homes would be a much smaller.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Site Team

If the window had been installed wrong, I'd be on the phone with Redwood. The emergency window has a rubber gasket where the 2 pieces of glass come together when clamped shut. With the wind and driving rain hitting the glass, I wasn't surprised by getting a little water that laid in the aluminum track of the window.

In my opinion ( and since is my trailer, my opinion is all that counts), everything performed as it should under these conditions. I did feel for the guy with the tiffin next to me because he was stuck where he was. The way that his slide topper was mangled, he couldn't retract his slide.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
par

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz
Quote:

Lillyputz
Because I'm reasonable.....I few ounces of water getting around a rubber seal of a emergency window, in unusual conditions has NOTHING to do with quality control.Â* The wind was so strong that the Tiffin Bus had the slide topper ripped off.Â* I guess that was Tiffin's fault? It's not a perfect world and these RV's go through some unusual conditions at times.Â* I went all around my trailer looking at the slides....no leaks!Â* I'm a happy camper
I'm with Dave on this one... under severe weather conditions anything can happen. I had windows in my stick&brick leak under heavy rain and wind.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #13

With that kind of rain in a house, your could have roof damage and leaks too! I'm also with Dave. I guess I don't really understand why someone has their trailer in for repairs for so long. At some point, you should be able to return it due to the Lemon Law. Or is that law only in Texas? I probably don't have all the details to do with Lillyputs, but it seems like a next step should be taken.

SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1117
With that kind of rain in a house, your could have roof damage and leaks too! I'm also with Dave. I guess I don't really understand why someone has their trailer in for repairs for so long. At some point, you should be able to return it due to the Lemon Law. Or is that law only in Texas? I probably don't have all the details to do with Lillyputs, but it seems like a next step should be taken.

X2
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #15

Being from Texas X3
Old 02-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #16

Hi All

I have a situation which I'd like comments and suggestions to resolve.

I have a 2013 Redwood 36RE which was purchased used a couple of years ago. I've just noticed a slight bulge on the slide which houses the fridge. It's located right below the window in the living room area.
To further investigate I have removed the window to find out the butyl tape was not making a complete seal at the top corner. If the window opening was cut more precise the butyl tape would of sealed this area. This type of manufacturer installation typically does not show itself until the damage is done, not like a component that just does not work.
This leak has also caused the delamination which is the bulge I'm seeing. With the window removed you can see this.

Question 1: Where would I purchase the foam butyl tape? I've checked several RV suppliers along with window suppliers with no luck.
Question 2: Is there any liquid glue product which I could use to try and clue back the laminate bulge?

Gerard & Dale
Halifax, N.S.
2006 Dodge 2500 4X4
2013 36RE
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
Hi All

I have a situation which I'd like comments and suggestions to resolve.

I have a 2013 Redwood 36RE which was purchased used a couple of years ago. I've just noticed a slight bulge on the slide which houses the fridge. It's located right below the window in the living room area.
To further investigate I have removed the window to find out the butyl tape was not making a complete seal at the top corner. If the window opening was cut more precise the butyl tape would of sealed this area. This type of manufacturer installation typically does not show itself until the damage is done, not like a component that just does not work.
This leak has also caused the delamination which is the bulge I'm seeing. With the window removed you can see this.

Question 1: Where would I purchase the foam butyl tape? I've checked several RV suppliers along with window suppliers with no luck.
Question 2: Is there any liquid glue product which I could use to try and clue back the laminate bulge?

Gerard & Dale
Halifax, N.S.
2006 Dodge 2500 4X4
2013 36RE
This might be a glue issue and not a water problem. When my unit was only about 6 months old it developed a bulge. Turns out they didn't put enough glue under the fiberglass. They fixed the bulge with body filler and the problem was resolved
Old 02-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #18

Have you verified that it's a delamination as opposed to swelling from water intrusion?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:30 AM   #19

My guess is the delamination is a result of the water leak. All other areas are fine with the exception of directly below the window which is in line with the window seal.
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #20

I bought butyl tape at Ace Hardware of all places.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote