Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #1

What really sold us on the GK was the kitchen storage with 2 big pantry's
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Team

We really like ours and have had virtually no problems. We have a floor plan that is discontinued but like the storage and ease of use. The fit and finish is great. Quiet water pump compared to previous coaches. Like the Level Up jack system, ducted AC's, counter tops, full body paint, to name a few.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

We were always impressed with the interior finish - beautiful woods and decor, and to us the furniture is fantastic comfortable. Once we starting using it we found it is super quiet - everything. The dual pane windows make the inside quiet, the new design ACs are wonderful after the hurricane in our last unit, the furnace is quiet, the pump is quiet, and the dishwasher is simply amazing quiet.

The outside paint is beautiful with the black trim, and the leveling system saves tons of work. We opted for the dual awnings with the unigard covers, and they are simply cool.

We had a couple of issues with the disk brake module before delivery, and since delivery I have fixed 1 leak in the drain, and we have a strap on a leaf spring that came apart (new spring arrived at my door yesterday).

The only cons I can think of; is the inside is dark with windows on only once side and the dark tint on the windows. As a result we have to use the interior lights most of the time. I was also dissapointed to see the water tank forward of the axles by the landing gear, as this adds a lot of weight to an already pin heavy unit when fully loaded.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

We like the floorplan with the front living room, which gives lots of living space for us and the dogs.

Inside the quality of wood work is exceptional. We also like the fireplace, which heats the inside sufficiently most days. Occasionally we use the heat pump, but never have we found it necessary to use the furnace. Therefore, we have not used any propane for heating. The dishwasher is brilliant, we use it daily. We also like the king size bed, although it doesn't leave much room around the bed.

On the outside we like the awning lights in the evening, saves having to carry outside lights.

Dislikes are minimal and are really a couple of finishing touches that we think Redwood could do to make the coach complete.
- Adding the Maxx Fan covers, really wouldn't add much to the cost of the coach
- On the FL adding the additional valve to facilitate using both grey tanks
- On the FL having the ability to close the valve compartment door when the valves are open
- Labeling the Aerial and cable coax outlets behind the TV's
- Labelling the awning LED light switch with "On" & "Off"

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #5

Overall, I really like my 36RL but would like to recommend a few changes that would only enhance a great product...

A window to the left side of the stairs leading up to the bath/bedroom. The dark cherry wood is beautiful, but it is dark in the coach on non-sunny days.

A larger bathroom area. The space is functional, but tight.

A larger TV option in the living room and upgraded Bose Surround Sound System.

Remove the side tables on the sofa and stretch the sofa to fill in the entire space. I am 6'2" and I can "almost" lay end to end on the current sofa.

Shrink the window by the dining table and add a 2nd power awning to the slide out. Especially for those that have the slide top awnings.

A stronger 6 point or even an 8 point level up system. The "popping" of the current system is a bit embarrassing for a coach in this price point.

Upgrade the dining table area - it is a bit stark. They could use the area to add a side cabinet that would allow for an outdoor TV area under a 2nd awning.

Recessed LED Rope Lighting to add ambient lighting in the coach.

Offer a matching coffee table. I bought the ottoman from the 36RE and it does an ok job, but having a coffee able would be even better.

Lastly, think about using the 36RL layout and making it on the 38GK frame. This would allow for a longer coach that would provide a large water closet layout, and increase the bedroom and living area.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana
We like the floorplan with the front living room, which gives lots of living space for us and the dogs.

Inside the quality of wood work is exceptional. We also like the fireplace, which heats the inside sufficiently most days. Occasionally we use the heat pump, but never have we found it necessary to use the furnace. Therefore, we have not used any propane for heating. The dishwasher is brilliant, we use it daily. We also like the king size bed, although it doesn't leave much room around the bed.

On the outside we like the awning lights in the evening, saves having to carry outside lights.

Dislikes are minimal and are really a couple of finishing touches that we think Redwood could do to make the coach complete.
- Adding the Maxx Fan covers, really wouldn't add much to the cost of the coach
- On the FL adding the additional valve to facilitate using both grey tanks
- On the FL having the ability to close the valve compartment door when the valves are open
- Labeling the Aerial and cable coax outlets behind the TV's
- Labelling the awning LED light switch with "On" & "Off"
The reason you can not close the valve door when they are open is to make sure they are shut when you travel and ge to the next camp ground. My old rig this could happen, on our first trip I went to the dump site and opened the cover to attach the hose and guess which valve
Was still open. Yup, you guessed it. I am glad that I can not travel with our FL with the valves open. My 2 cents. Love the FL.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #7

We like the floorplan of our 36FB - the separate w/c was the determining factor for us.

We like the kitchen layout - actually was quite surprised at how MUCH I like it, because I didn't think I would care for it this much. Plenty of storage, very easy to work with everything very convenient. I like the trash can - I can cut veggies, etc. on the counter and just push the scraps right into the can. We opted for the cooktop only - and the convection oven works just fine for what we do. Love the dishwasher.

I wish the pantry shelves were adjustable. I think the big pantry with the rollout drawers should have 2 doors (each half the height) as it's very hard to open.

We had the factory leave out the dish dividers - good choice, as I can get a lot more in the big deep drawer.

Don't like the cooktop so much, but it's pretty much what you get with RVs. We do a lot of stir=fry and the big pan hangs over the front when we center it over the burner - and it's the biggest burner. But, we also got an induction burner and that's what we use the most. Just leave the covers on the cooktop.

I really wanted a single bowl sink. I think the 2 bowls are much too small.

I like the MCD shades - once we got the hang of them,they're really easy to use - much more so that the pleated shades. A couple of them need adjusting of the tension, but we haven't bothered yet.

Like the fireplace - we use it for heat whenever we have shore power and it keeps everything really toasty.

Of course, we like how it looks - very classy without being overdone.

The shower - we would prefer white rather than the chocolate color. Lots of places have hard water and it leaves spots badly. Also, a texture on the walls would help that. We got a microfiber cloth and just dry everything when finished. We changed out the shower head to the Oxygenics (Camping World) so there is a shutoff switch (great when boon docking). We tried just buying a shutoff switch, but didn't work so well. Also, shower doors are arranged backwards so water goes straight into the tracks. Also would have preferred 2 doors instead of 3 - very hard to keep clean. Kevin is drilling holes in the tracks so that the water will drain out better.

We don't much care for the vinyl flooring - it scratches quite easily.

A night light in the w/c would be nice.

Agree with above - Maxx fan covers

And the option for a surge protector - we are not looking forward to installing ours

A longer power cord - we just bought a 15' extension.

This is silly, and was a simple fix, but we had to add some chain to the pull for the ceiling fan. I'm 5'6" and I couldn't reach it. Really...could they not put 6" more chain???

There is almost no slope to our awning, so water doesn't drain off. And the awning on the dining room slide was mounted at the very top, and now we can't add a slide topper.

Did I mention how beautiful the unit is - inside and out??? And it feels very spacious. We really love it!!

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #8

Forgot to mention the washer and dryer - terrific!! We were unsure about ordering with that option, but we are VERY glad we did. We don't have to bring as much clothing for one thing. And it does a really good job on the washing. The drying takes a little longer than at home, but it's not too much.

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #9

JJ you can adjust the slope of your awning by getting up on a ladder and moving the pins up or down. I agree with the shower door and track. I will be drilling additional holes in the track and lowing the existing ones so water does not sit in there and mold. -Dean
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder
JJ you can adjust the slope of your awning by getting up on a ladder and moving the pins up or down. Â*I agree with the shower door and track. Â*I will be drilling additional holes in the track and lowing the existing ones so water does not sit in there and mold. Â*-Dean Â*
X2

Actually I adjusted mine to full slope while it was retracted, but just adjusting the pins while in the track. Be sure and do both sides the same. The pitch is shown in my signature.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #11

We all have different likes and dislikes. Just reading through the list of posted things, I see some that would be ok, and others that I wouldn't like. If the manufacture listed everything possible as options, the list would be so long it would be like a novel. With every RV that we have had, we have added or changed things to our liking. Of course there are some things you can't change, but you learn to live with it the way it is.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Site Team

There were a few things I really wanted when I was shopping for a 5er.

#1 large holding tanks
#2 residential furniture
#3 full body paint (tired if stickers)
#4 larger shower and easier bathroom to maneuver in
#5 more storage both inside and out
#6 disk brakes

My Redwood has all of these and we love it. The other option we did was a slid-in-slide, which again we love. The only real disappointment I had was where the fresh water tank was. But I'm now convinced I WAS WRONG and Redwood was right in it's location because I believe the location of the fresh water tank is what makes my Redwood pull like a dream. Even in adverse weather my trailer follows like it was designed to be a piece of my truck.

I think an RV is like a spouse, there's a lot of good ones out there you simply have to find the BEST one for you. Like a souse, every RV will have issues and navigating through those issues is what brings out the best in each of us.

Happy Trails

Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #13

I have a 38BR and had only one issue with the unit as delivered. There was a centre seam in the office at the back that was not properly taped. The dealer fixed that and off we went for over 6 weeks and 6000 miles. We had some trim that swelled due to humidity and some that shook loose. On return to the dealer for winter prep the trim was removed and replaced with glue and nails and the other things that shook loose were adjusted.

Spring inspection found no issues and we are ready to go again this summer.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #14

When you find a RV manufacturer without a major lack of quality at the assembly plant, let us know.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdriver
Thank you all for your responses. I looked at a lot of older posts, about problems and repairs. seems to me that for a high end 5th wheel, there is a major lack of quality workmanship at the assembly plant. this has me concerned as i am shopping for aÂ*new 5th wheel in this price range.
We have a 36FL and have had no major issues, only a couple of minor issues resulting from the delivery to the dealer. One must consider that our coach completed a 3,000 mile delivery to the dealer.

No manufacturer builds without problems, as these units are built by humans, who have a tendency to have off days. What you should look for is warranty and the RW is one of the best, if not the best. In addition to the warranty, check out how the manufacturer honours the warranty. Researching old posts on this forum you will find the greatest majority are happy with how RW addresses the issues.

We are extremely happy with our coach and would recommend RW to anyone.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #16

Oriana...have you solved the issue of brushing your teeth over the bathroom sink? If so, please tell me your secret.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
When you find a RV manufacturer without a major lack of quality at the assembly plant, let us know.

X2
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
Oriana...have you solved the issue of brushing your teeth over the bathroom sink? If so, please tell me your secret.
Only solution we have found requires being a contortionist, resulting in lower back pain and twisted neck. This is usually followed by a reminder from DW to dry the counter when finished.

First day I wacked my forehead on the cabinet

Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #19

My grand solution was to cut a hole in the wall and partially recess the cabinet. Oh yeah...pocket door. I'm actually thinking about purchasing a piece of countertop from RW and cutting a new sink hole in that piece in order to relocate the sink further away from the wall. I'll gladly buy an inch or two in order to save my forehead from another bruise.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote