Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 01:51 AM   #1341

By emergency brake line you mean the cable for the break away switch, it is wise to purchase one of the coiled ones. They retract out of the way so as not to get caught between the pin box and the plate on your hitch. Since I mounted the release handle upside down on my hitch so I can use a tonneau cover without it getting damaged by the handle, I couldn't hang the cable over the handle since it would fall off. I added a thick bracket on my hitch to connect it to. Haven't had a problem since I did this to mine.

Chris & Maria

2012 36RL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2960.JPG (134.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2454 pin box.JPG (110.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (38.6 KB, 17 views)
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
There is a guy in a campground I stay at in Va that does mine for $300.00 wash and wax. The front and rear caps are hand/paste, and the sides are spray wax.

I used Paul Newmans Dazzling Detailing down in Florida last year, paid $800.00 for wash and 4 step waz and buff... it never looked so good..
We have been spending an average of $400 - $600 every six months to have our 2014 38GK washed and waxed, but it turns out that wasn't often enough. After a year in Utah, Arizona and the Mojave volunteering in the National Parks, the back cap and sides showed heavy oxidation. So we'll try a new track: we just had the GK fully wet sanded by a professional RV detailer in Eugene who came highly recommended - all the oxidation is GONE! Now we're going with a full ceramic coating and see if that holds up. Seems that the best waxes are only good for 3 months in heavy uv locations; polymer sealants may last 6 months; a good paint sealant might last a year, but our detailer claims that we should expect 3-4 years from the ceramic coating, with regular washing and touch-up that I can do myself. Research on line substantiates this. The ceramic coating bonds with the paint, has extreme UV resistance and is hydrophobic, repelling water like RainEx, making washing easy. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what has been your experience? Our quote of $2500 is certainly not cheap, but the $1000 per year we've been spending isn't cheap either and it hasn't provided the protection we need: waxing four times a year is logistically difficult as well as twice as expensive as what we've been doing. Btw, I did multiple searches on the forum for this topic and found none: perhaps it would make a good thread of its own?
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #1343

I looked into that with some local detailers to me and was right around the same as what you received...

I then spoke to a few guys in the body shop business to see what their thoughts were on having that stuff applied. They all said it made any type “body work” extremely hard to fix and match.....

I am still on the fence
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
By emergency brake line you mean the cable for the break away switch, it is wise to purchase one of the coiled ones. They retract out of the way so as not to get caught between the pin box and the plate on your hitch. Since I mounted the release handle upside down on my hitch so I can use a tonneau cover without it getting damaged by the handle, I couldn't hang the cable over the handle since it would fall off. I added a thick bracket on my hitch to connect it to. Haven't had a problem since I did this to mine.

Chris & Maria

2012 36RL
Good info, just ordered one from Amazon.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #1345

Thanks for the idea, should of thought of that myself as we use coiled air and electrical lines in trucking. Don't have a problem with mine, but have never been a fan of having the line hanging down besides fifth wheel, always check to make sure nothing around to snag it, but you know one awh shucks and "there ya go".
Will order one off Amazon today, love this forum keeps the ideas flowing.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:28 AM   #1346

For those who like Sonic Ice

I just got an Opal Nugget Ice Maker. The DW loves it! Quite pricey at $500 but worth every penny for a happy DW. I can give my “first impression” review if anyone is interested.

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #1347
Site Team

Finally got around to installing the inverter (only switched to a residential frig about a year and a half ago, these things take time. Lol ).

Put in a 3k Inverter for the frig when we're hooked up. Right now we have 2 Group 31 Interstate deep cycle batts and don't boondock. Looked at the display on inverter when turned on and frig is on and was very happy with the draw. 220 watts on startup and then dropped to almost nothing after compressor shut down.

I installed mine a little differently than most. We have the gen prep but do not have an onboard gen set and don't intend to. Thought about it and came up with the idea of wiring the inverter into the generator side of the transfer switch. That way I could power the side that has the frig on the breakers. Worked like a champ. Tied the inverter into the L1 position on the transfer switch. The microwave is on the L2 side of the load center so I don't have to worry about it being turned on accidentally. Same with the water heater. Only thing I have to be careful of is make sure AC unit is turned off.

Biggest thing this gave me was an easy install (relatively, this old body wasn't really thrilled with contorting up and into the gen compartment) and the ability if we do boondock for a night or two to have the tv also if we want it. Plus one of the outlets on that slide is live also.

When it's time to replace these batts I'll go to 4-6volt.

I do carry a 3100 Champion Genset as a "just in case".
Old 06-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #1348

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Finally got around to installing the inverter (only switched to a residential frig about a year and a half ago, these things take time. Lol ).

Put in a 3k Inverter for the frig when we're hooked up. Right now we have 2 Group 31 Interstate deep cycle batts and don't boondock. Looked at the display on inverter when turned on and frig is on and was very happy with the draw. 220 watts on startup and then dropped to almost nothing after compressor shut down.

I installed mine a little differently than most. We have the gen prep but do not have an onboard gen set and don't intend to. Thought about it and came up with the idea of wiring the inverter into the generator side of the transfer switch. That way I could power the side that has the frig on the breakers. Worked like a champ. Tied the inverter into the L1 position on the transfer switch. The microwave is on the L2 side of the load center so I don't have to worry about it being turned on accidentally. Same with the water heater. Only thing I have to be careful of is make sure AC unit is turned off.

Biggest thing this gave me was an easy install (relatively, this old body wasn't really thrilled with contorting up and into the gen compartment) and the ability if we do boondock for a night or two to have the tv also if we want it. Plus one of the outlets on that slide is live also.

When it's time to replace these batts I'll go to 4-6volt.

I do carry a 3100 Champion Genset as a "just in case".
Nice! 3K - you could probably have just powered it all?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #1349

Well today I shinned up the wheels and tires on our 3901WB. As I did I noticed some over spray on the tires, kinda bummed me out. As I started to clean the wheels I noticed quit a bit on them. One other rim has a large stain like clearcoat or something. Is this something they would get me new rims and tires or does anyone know how to clean it off? OCD is kicking in and this isn't going to fly.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #1350

Good Day to Wash

Washed mine today. Hard water sucks. Spray wax works great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180819_152939.jpg (213.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20180819_152919.jpg (174.8 KB, 11 views)
55 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 AM   #1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 SS View Post
Washed mine today. Hard water sucks. Spray wax works great!
ABC waters in Arizona can fix the hard water issue . We purchased a 16000 grain water softener from them for about $240. It makes soaps more effective and really helps with washing , you will notice the difference.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:06 AM   #1352

We've used the RvPur10000 water softener for the last 5 years & Works great.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #1353

I just started using the Simple Chuck-Double Chuck system - https://simplechuck.com/

It deionizes water and leaves NO SPOTS.. We have well water and I have been hand drying after each wash. With this system, you can wash in the sunlight, and let it drip dry, it says it will dry with ZERO spots.. I tried it on my black truck before leaving for vacation and it worked GREAT with no spots from VERY HARD WATER...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:09 AM   #1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
We've used the RvPur10000 water softener for the last 5 years & Works great.
Danny how often do you have to do the salt flush? I know a lot depends on water quality but just a ball park guess. how much salt do you use to recharge yours?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:12 AM   #1355

When we're wintering in AZ, the water is so hard, I need to regenerate about every 2-3 weeks. In parks in the NW, 4-6 weeks. Depends on water hardness.
We have the same model. If I don't keep the water soft, the onboard dishwasher does a poor job...............soft water it works great.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCMARK View Post
Danny how often do you have to do the salt flush? I know a lot depends on water quality but just a ball park guess. how much salt do you use to recharge yours?
Same as Jim, 2 to 4 weeks depending on water quality & I don't measure 2 lbs I just put in 1 of the round cartons of iodized table salt, it's 26oz.
I got another water filter & plumbed it ahead of the softener with a sediment cartridge, placed those in a milk crate at to trailer end of the hose from there into the onboard filter with a charcoal cartridge, we have crystal clear good tasting water & ice cubes everywhere we've been.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #1357

Installed a new King Sleep Number Mattress!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #1358

Started to re-fasten the black carpet cover in the basement shelves. It was becoming unstuck.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #1359

I have the same setup for water filtration/treatment as Danny, down to the milk crate.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #1360

Ha! Shattered a rear side vent window pulling into the storage yard when returning after the upgrades below! Just caught the edge of the entry keypad apparently. Didn't hear or feel a thing. Glass panel fell out after I parked it to my surprise. Oh well could have been worse...

Over the past labor day weekend - cut down bed platform (from King size)for new Queen size mattress to be delivered today, changed foam in sofa bed seats from factory to some gel foam, nice and soft cushions now, added some hooks for dog leashes and on both front sides of vanity for hand towels, added two larger fire extinguishers; one near door and one near closet in bedroom, added shower quick shutoff valve to save water and removed plastic channel restriction to allow windows to open further.