Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 03:51 AM   #1

Weak Awning Extension/Retraction

I have a 2014 31sl with the dual awning option. The awnings worked well when we first picked the camper up. and we've put about 5k mi on it last season.

Problem: As we went through the season the retraction of both awnings eventually became so weak that they both needed to be assisted by hand to retract them, e.g. it became a two person job. One to hold the switch and one to assist by pulling the awning arm down.

Solution for my problem: I scoured all the awing threads both on this and the other Redwood Owners forum and in one of them I found a note from RcFlame that indicated he had solved a similar problem by taking his switches apart and re crimping the wire connectors. I decided to give that a try and lo and behold that solved the problem, e.g. the awnings were indeed getting reduced voltage due to loose wire connections. Thanks RC!

Technique for implementing fix or checking:
1: Make sure to de-energize your 12 vt system first. It could be very easy to short a wire while pulling off spade plugs off the switches.

2: Pop the cover off the switches and unscrew the switch. I have dual switches in both the basement and in the master control area. One of the switches is integrated into the master control unit and I had to also remove that to get at that switch.

3: You will see that each switch has six prongs that connect to spade plugs. The offending spade plugs will be easily moveable with your fingers. I disconected them all and gently squeezed the ends of the female spade plugs so they'd have a tighter connection. Do them one or two at a time (max) so you don't mix up the wires.

When I buttoned things up the awnings worked like new.

Opinion: In my previous life I worked extensively in electronics and also set functional requirements for electronic ssytems in public safety vehicles. We hated spade pugs and quick crimps due to this type of issue. In this case RedWood has used heavy gauge wires due to the awning motor amperage requirements. They also doubled up on the wires going into the spade plugs due to the dual switch configuration, e.g. four of the prongs on each switch have two wires going into each spade plug. This makes for a heavy wire bundle hanging off of the back of the switch. Invariably vibration from travel jostles the wire bundles and works the crimp loose on the spade plugs. This ends up in a loose connection that causes a voltage reduction in the circuit when there is a heavy draw. If you measure the the line voltage without a load you'll still see ~ 12 vt. End result of a loose spade plug connection is that the awning motors don't get enough juice when working.

When I scoured the forums it was apparent that others are having similar issues. Maybe Redwood can come up with a heaver duty switch that secures the wires better.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #2

Shoot, I do get a slow 2nd awning and I just had that basement panel down and could have tried that. I'll have to try the fix this spring... if it ever gets here.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #3

2: Pop the cover off the switches and unscrew the switch. I have dual switches in both the basement and in the master control area. One of the switches is integrated into the master control unit and I had to also remove that to get at that switch.
The 31SL has awning switches in the basement? I've been in and out of there dozens of times for the last month and never saw them. where should I be looking?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:38 AM   #4

One set of my switches is located in the basement, curbside, top of the rear bulk head. I think that I read somewhere that Redwood stopped installing the basement switches. This was after the episodes of loose gear in the basements hitting the awning switches while the vehicle was being transported. My unit was manufactured in the Spring of 2013 and I did receive a recall safety cover to put over the switches.

Can you imagine driving along and having your awning extend, Opps. Aw %^^&.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #5

Ya, I dont think they install them in the basement anymore.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #6

Correct, no basement switches on ours when we did the PDI last week.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #7

Glad we got ours while they were still providing them, I use the switches in the basement more than the ones inside!!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #8

We do too....
but the wife makes me 'tidy up' the basement more if I'm going to be opening the door while company is there !!!

My previous 5er had a little remote control that would do the awnings, jacks, etc... really miss that when it's tine to set up or break camp and it's raining !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #9

I like the basement switches, you can see the awnings better to ensure they are extending or re-tracking properly. Hard to tell from inside and just about impossible if the door is closed.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I like the basement switches, you can see the awnings better to ensure they are extending or re-tracking properly. Hard to tell from inside and just about impossible if the door is closed.
X2 for the same reasons.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #11

I made a key fob remote system for my last rig that did the landing gear, awnings, generator, entry lights, etc. and I really thought I would miss it, but I don't. I think it is because I have switches in the right spot for everything. I use the basement switches all the time, and I love the fact they put the generator switch by the door.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #12

Brad,
Not sure if you remember, but you helped me (by sending information, etc) to build the same remote system for my Montana.....It was great. Anyhow, we just traded her in on a new 2015 39MB. I always wondered what happened to you and now I know, you "traded up" to a luxury unit....

Tim
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #13

Hi Tim!

That is fantastick on that new FB! Those look awesome in the pics! Welcome to Redwood, there are tons of MOC folks here. I loved my Montanas and I really tried to stay loyal, but between the paint, ice maker, and dishwasher I couldnt walk away from the Redwood.