Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #21

My dealer also offered a product that would protect my paint for 5 years at over $1,000 (Xylon, I believe). I did a little research and quickly realized I could get the product, or something very similar, for 10% of the cost my dealer wanted to charge. Granted, I would then need to apply it myself.
Kevin & Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #22

Do u know name of product?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #23

I had a sealant put on by my dealer because I learned from my past rv that I could not keep up with the amount of waxing needed to keep my unit from fading in our sunny California weather. Most people choose not to spend the money for a sealant as there are some very good products out there for much lower cost, but you do have to apply them frequently if you are in a harsh environment. UV is the killer here in CA. The name of the product I had applied is Trident. I can tell you that the surface of my unit is like glass even after 8 months and bugs and spot cleanup is very easy. tridentprotectionsystems.com

It really comes down to personal choice. Researching this topic online you will find very polarized results. If you do choose yo do it you can expect the cost to be in the range of $1500, and the dealer or who every applies it will get their fair share of profit. But I can tell that my dealer had to bring in a small crew on the weekend to fully wash the unit and apply the sealant.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce

Dave , That's a great picture of you and your rig....But there's something clearly missing ...I see no or any other form of beverage....Maybe your truck tailgate acts as a bar! Maybe a good idea since you are working frrom such great heights
Well you're right! In that picture while I was working on the front there, my Jack would have been put on the tail gate of the truck. I usually place the glass on the ground and I inevitably kick it over while moving the ladder. Waxing the trailer takes a lot of Jack
Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #25

I asked for some touch up paint prior to picking up my trailer. To my surprise it was painted with Sikkens paint ! That's a good thing. I painted my truck 7-8 years ago with Sikkens paint and it still looks good. I've worked in the body shop all of my life and know Sikkens is a top of the line paint. I'm going to wax mine soon enough. The paint job is not quite a month old yet so I'm going to wait till it warms up a little. I'm going a step further by color sanding the whole rig with 1500 then 3000 and polishing it complete ! Yes I know it's a lot of work but once it's done the paint will look so much better. Whom ever painted did a very good job. I know it probably cost way too much for Redwood to have someone polish there trailers complete. These things are huge !
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote