Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Question water pump switch

I have a water pump switch that stays on but the pump only turns on when you are demanding water. Problem is even when hooked up to city water the pump light cannot be turned off and the pump stays on and only works when you turn on a faucet. But I have found out that if you have both on at the same time you can overfill your fresh water tank. Any suggestions?
fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #2

Question, Have you turned off the pump switch in the convenience center?? I'm always bumping it when doing something it there. Too bad that's not a lighted switch also.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:04 AM   #3

Switch

Tried that but didn't seem to make a difference. Will need to go through the whole trouble shooting thing again but hopefully I will have more good suggestions to try. Switch was checked out by RV parts man and said it was fine and I had already done that and he verified what I thought. Hope for more suggestions and then will go through all suggestions. Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 01:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
I have a water pump switch that stays on but the pump only turns on when you are demanding water. Problem is even when hooked up to city water the pump light cannot be turned off and the pump stays on and only works when you turn on a faucet. But I have found out that if you have both on at the same time you can overfill your fresh water tank. Any suggestions?
Seems strange that the fresh water would over fill since the only way to fill that is from the convenience center via a hose, unless I am missing something. Did the fresh tank run out from the overflow hose ??

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #5

I had the same problem with filling the fresh tank. The pump has a check valve to keep it from back flowing,. Every once in a while, we would lose the city water. I always keep a little in the fresh tank for such times. When we lost city water, I would just turn on the pump. I would check and when city water cam on I would shut off the pump. Later I would find the fresh tank overflowing. Found out if I shut off city water, than shut off the pump and turned city water back on, didn't have the problem. Apparently with the pump and city water both on, the check valve wouldn't close.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
... the pump only turns on when you are demanding water....
just to make sure we understand, as that part of your post is a lil ambiguous.... (and sorry if you already know )
but that's the way it's supposed to work.

when you first turn pump on,
the pump runs to build up pressure,
then once the psi is built up, it stops running,
then it only runs again when water is used
to build up more pressure...

I know you know this, but just ensuring that!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

water pump switch

not sure how I can clear this up but what you said I realize what I had hope to say I cannot turn the pump off with the pump switch. The pump still works like it suppose to even though I am on city water and I try to turn the pump off the switch will not turn it off. I going through the problem solving again today making sure both switches are off but tried this once. The pump needed to have the power wire separated before I could get it to quit working.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
not sure how I can clear this up but what you said I realize what I had hope to say I cannot turn the pump off with the pump switch. The pump still works like it suppose to even though I am on city water and I try to turn the pump off the switch will not turn it off. I going through the problem solving again today making sure both switches are off but tried this once. The pump needed to have the power wire separated before I could get it to quit working.

One of the two switches may be upside down?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I would remove each switch from its panel and disconnect one wire from a terminal. If the pump still operates, there is an electrical short that you will have to track down. If the pump does not operate, check each switch with an ohmmeter while operating the switch. It is possible that one of the switches is not opening its contacts when it is operated.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #10

Water pump switch

Again am not getting the problem across. The water pump is working as it should or at least did. The problem is that even though am hooked up to city water the pump acts normal when i need water the pump turns on when I don't it shuts. Problem is I can't shut it off with the switch the light on the switch stays on and actually seems to light both the top bottom of the switch. I have tested both the outside shower switch and the main switch and they seem ok. Also another kink in this is the shower switch needs to be on or the main switch will all light up not just the top. And at this point the pump now has stop working so iam in the process of checking that out. At this point it looks like RV repair shop as this whole thing seems to affect the hot water tank. Can go without the pump but not hot water
Old 11-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #11

I have noticed this issue also to water pump switch stays illuminated tried to switch it off toggle down , flush Petcock vavle was open , tank filled to top with water closed vavle now pump seems to run , I unplugged at the pump lead. Is there a check valve kit or will a fresh pump fix it I am full timer so taking system offline is a pain,

Seems control panel light would deilluminate to powered down this is confusing

2012. 36re

Please advise

Karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #12

Karl

On our 36RL there is a water pump switch in the main control cabinet just inside the front door, and another in the convenience center under the street side bedroom window (where the water connections, cable connections, etc are). If one of them is turned on, it keeps the pilot light on the other illuminated regardless of that switch position.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #13

Did check outside switch it was on thanks light in control panel is now out

Thanks

Karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:46 AM   #14

That one got me a lot!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #15

That's why I stuck a label on the OFF position, cause it seemed to never fail if I was in there for just about anything the switch would get bumped and be on.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 12-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #16

Did you solve your problem? we have water flowing out of the blue hose under the RV onto the ground.... What is going on? it just happened
Barbara McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara McSweeney View Post
Did you solve your problem? we have water flowing out of the blue hose under the RV onto the ground.... What is going on? it just happened
Barbara, Were you filling the fresh tank with tap water using a hose in the gravity feed opening? The fresh tank has 3 openings or fittings on it. The Fill, The low point drain, and the vent. The vent has always been a problem for Redwoods since they were first made. They Tee the vent. A blue pex runs below and through the underbelly of the coach, the other side of the tee is the braided hose that goes through your underbelly and is usually located between the red (hot) and blue (cold) low point drains underneath. Almost every RW owner has installed a 1/4 turn pex shut off valve on the blue pex underneath. When filling fresh water, fill until water starts to come out of the blue pex and shut the valve off. Fill more until water comes out of the braided line. The braided line normally should have been installed next to the gravity fill hose opening ( the one with the little vent with the bug screen on it ) but RW doesn't do it that way. I pulled our braided line up through the underbelly and installed it to the vent with a hose clamp. You will need to take down part of the basement wall to do this. If you don't install the pex shut off valve, the overflow water will continue to siphon almost 1/3 of the water from your fresh tank. Which is a lot of water from a 104 gallon tank. Others will probably post pictures with arrows to help show this. Hope this helps.

Chris
2012 36RL
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #18

That answer is correct for some models, but not all. On the MB, you don't have a gravity fill port, only the power fill and the only vent that I'm sure of is the Blue Pex just a few inches from the Fresh Water drain. And yes with just about all RWs if you fill the Fresh Water much past 2/3 - 3/4 full it will start a siphon action and drain off some of the water you just put in. So as mentioned, most have installed a 1/4 turn shut off on the end of that Blue pex.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #19

I did

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote