Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Our water pump runs continuously and does not shut off. No leaks that we can find when on city water. It is off at the basement utility panel but won't stop running. Any ideas?

JJ

We can switch it off manually. Hope we don't forget!!Edited by: Kev n JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

Go out to your utility center and make sure the pump switch is off out there also.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

How's your water pressure? Can you hear the pump building pressure or just runnning, running?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

Guess I should of read the whole post. Sorry.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #5

There are actually two on/off switches for the water pump. As mentioned previously, the one next to the tank valves and the one inside where your electric/DSI switches are. Both need to be off. Also try filling your fresh water tank 1/3 full and run the pump. It may be air locked.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #6

Regardless of how many switches there are, the pump should shut off after the system builds up pressure because of the pressure switch. Also, there is a check valve on the pump that might be leaking back.

I think Dave (Dave & Ginny) has experience in this area as he diag'd his pump issues and Redwood replaced it I think. Maybe he'll weigh-in.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Site Team

First, take the wall down in your basement. This will only require you removing about a dozen square head screws. Watch the glass "sight glass" on the right (toward the fresh water fill) side of the trailer. There's a small screen in there too that's suppose to collect debri from the fresh water tank. If the water level in that "sight glass" goes down after you turn off your switch....then you have a vacuum leak, which won't let the pump build pressure. My leak ended up being the tube you suck the up pink juice with when you winterize the unit. Under the cap there was a rubber gasket that was missing in mine.

If you find that there is a vacuum leak and the cap I had mentioned is on tight with the rubber gasket, then start checking your lines coming to your pump. There is also the chance that the pump itself is bad but I found these to be pretty good pumps. I solved my problem with putting on a "pex" shut off on the end of that line.

good luck
Old 05-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

You do have water in the fresh water tank? You mentioned you were on city water.Edited by: atom ant
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #9

Yes...the utility switch is off and we do have the fresh water tank filled. The pump works fine, just won't turn off by itself. Eventually it shut down, even though it still showed ON (probably has an overheat shut off), as we weren't calling for water then. Then we switched to OFF and later back to ON and it pumped but still stayed on when we turned off the water.

We just have to remember to turn it on and then off when done til we can get somewhere to work on it. Mostly just annoying, especially in the middle of the night!!!

We'll be in a park on Thursday for a week, so not a problem then - only when boondocking.

Thanks Dave for then input. I'm not sure Kevin will want to start taking this thing apart!!

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #10

It's working exactly as it should! When hooked up to city water, turn both switches off. The pressure from the city water is normally sufficient. If you aren't hooked up, turn on one of the switches and it will illuminate and will stay lit until you turn it off.Still sounds like it was air locked. Try running some water through the faucets, with the pump on, and blow the air out. It will spit for a while until all the air is out of your lines. As Dave said, if the pump doesn't shut off (the light should still be illuminated even when the pump stops), you may have air entering the lines.
Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #11

Is the bypass switch closed from winterization. The valve handle should be in line with the water line. Good luck