Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #1

Water leak in closet front closet light

This thing is killing me this last couple of days. I posted about the ceiling falling down a few days ago now I just found water in the closet light in the bedroom.
Tomkidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #2

Here in East Tennessee we have been having torrential rains for a week or so. The only place I can think of where it could leak is the joint at the cap and the roof.
Tomkidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:58 AM   #3

Yep I would check your cap seal. You may also want to check your other seals on the roof as well, because as we know all to well...water travels.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 AM   #4

Ya it sounds like that seal
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder View Post
Yep I would check your cap seal. You may also want to check your other seals on the roof as well, because as we know all to well...water travels.
That's the first place I would suspect. I have not experienced a leak in the closet on the Redwood but a prior fifth wheel had a small leak in the closet and I could never figure out where it was coming from. I finally ran Eternabond tape across the entire width of the roof over the cap seem and problem solved! Water always wins and water can get through hair line cracks so if I ever have a leak in this Redwood I will use the eternabond and be done with it.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Your water leak is probably going to be the cap on the cable of your TV antenna. When water comes in there, it will run along the ceiling until it finds an opening. Several of us have had this easy to fix problem.

Good Luck
Old 12-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #7

The cable on the TV antenna makes sense to me because I lifted it probably for the first time on Thanksgiving day. The owner prior to me, never used the trailer except as a tailgater unit for the Vols. games in Knoxville. The unit was towed 30 miles to the game and then towed back to a covered carport. The guy that moves and parks the trailers at the RV Sales/Repair place that the unit was bought from told me the owner didn't have a truck to even tow the 5th wheel. The company would send him to go get it and set it up, then return it. This happened about 5-6 times in 2 years. The up side is the unit is a brand new unit and still smells new. The down side is things that a normal new owner would have repaired under warranty I have to fix. This is a blessing and a curse wrapped up in the same package.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

Forgot about that antenna issue. I think everyone on here has fixed that problem. It's been so long ago since I had that issue. I just pushed the rubber cover back down on the cable and then siliconed all around it to solve that leak. It really should be done that way from the factory. If you don't do it, it WILL work it's way up the cable and it WILL leak
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #9

What I found is that Redwood when they put the metal pieces on the cap they did not screw down a foot or so of that piece was sticking up. The Dicor was not able to seal it very well. Since it is so cool here I heated the old Dicor and pealed it back until I found dry metal and drilled some holes and placed some screws in the area near the end of the metal. My Camping World does not carry the EternaBond. They carry some other brand. I am going to order 6" X 50' roll and place that over all the seams and roll it and heat it. I sure hope this works until the weather warms and all can be repaired correctly. This was found on the front and rear caps. Nice work Redwood!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkidder View Post
What I found is that Redwood when they put the metal pieces on the cap they did not screw down a foot or so of that piece was sticking up. The Dicor was not able to seal it very well. Since it is so cool here I heated the old Dicor and pealed it back until I found dry metal and drilled some holes and placed some screws in the area near the end of the metal. My Camping World does not carry the EternaBond. They carry some other brand. I am going to order 6" X 50' roll and place that over all the seams and roll it and heat it. I sure hope this works until the weather warms and all can be repaired correctly. This was found on the front and rear caps. Nice work Redwood!
That's been a common problem lately - regardless of year.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkidder View Post
I'm sorry to hear about this problem. It sure is disappointing to hear about a trailer only a couple years old having roof issues. This might be an isolated instance and I certainly hope it is but time will tell as these trailers age. Redwood started production in 2011 so it will be interesting to see how they hold up as they age. All the fancy paint, glitz and glitter can't stop the aging process
Old 12-03-2015, 12:27 AM   #12

Like I said in an earlier post I think the trailer only has maybe 1000- 2000 miles on it. These things would be addressed in the normal warranty period but in order to find things not working or not working right one would have to use the unit. Since no one used the unit and it was always parked in a garage nothing broke leaked or needed to be fixed.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #13

It appears a roof to front cap sealant failure is what caused my roof to billow up on the way to Dallas TX.
We found no rips or tears in the membrane so for air to get under it, it had to come under the sealant.
Removed all the sealant when putting the RV Armor Roof on and sealed the front and back cap with a mesh material and the RV Armor Roof coating material
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
It appears a roof to front cap sealant failure is what caused my roof to billow up on the way to Dallas TX.
We found no rips or tears in the membrane so for air to get under it, it had to come under the sealant.
Removed all the sealant when putting the RV Armor Roof on and sealed the front and back cap with a mesh material and the RV Armor Roof coating material
What did all that cost to have done. I was also looking at the Rhino Liner roofing. I don't know any one that has had that done on their unit.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #15

The RV Armor cost $120 per linear foot
They did a great job and give a lifetime of the coach transferable warranty that is tracked by the VIN Number

Old 12-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
The RV Armor cost $120 per linear foot
They did a great job and give a lifetime of the coach transferable warranty that is tracked by the VIN Number
By any chance did they do the slides? Or can/will they do the slides?
Old 12-04-2015, 02:53 AM   #17

They will do the slides but as I remember the lifetime warranty does not apply to the slides since they cannot get to the whole slide roof.
I did not ask about our slides since we have slide toppers on all slides.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:22 AM   #18

Up date on the leak in the bedroom lights I pulled all the lights out of the bedroom and had my daughter (with her skinny little arm) feel in every direction she was able to feel above and below the fiberglass insulation and did not find any wetness. Thank goodness. Now all I have to do now is listen to her complain how much her arm itches. It is worth hearing all the complaining. At least I feel better.