Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #1

Warranty Update

Driven by strong growth in retail sales and the entry of Millennials into the RV marketplace, Keystone RV Co., Dutchmen RV and CrossRoads RV announced a multi-million dollar commitment to delivering a superior customer experience spearheaded by the addition of the “industry’s best” 3-year limited structural warranty. The new warranty takes effect on units manufactured on or after Sept. 1.
“It’s truly exciting to be part of a movement that has our industry setting all time records,” said Keystone CEO Matt Zimmerman in a press release. “At the same time, buyers’ expectations are at a record high and it is critical that we not only meet but exceed these expectations. This new, clearly defined and straight forward warranty along with the steps we have taken in customer service and parts will set a higher standard for the RV industry.”
Keystone, Dutchmen and CrossRoads’ new warranty will cover the structural components of the RV including the roof, roof materials, installation, floor, walls, cap, internal framing and chassis. This will be in addition to Keystone’s base warranty during the first year of ownership.
Dealers will be able to file warranty claims and get approval on-line with minimum effort using Keystone’s KeyExpress dealer management system. The company will also continue to serve as a “one-stop-shop” and handle most claims for vendor components rather than forcing dealers to deal with component vendors individually.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Maybe things are looking up. Only time will tell
Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 AM   #3

Nice.... I think ??
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #4

It would be even better if it was retroactive.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #5

And if they really honored it

Stating something and doing it are two very different things !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

That sounds very good, now we know they can talk the talk but yet to be determined if they walk the walk.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

I won't ever forget Andy Cripe's words (previous Redwood President) on video from the Rally several years ago when he was trying to justify the switch from 2+5 to just 2. He said the 5 year limited structural warranty was a marketing ploy and there were so many loopholes in that part of the warranty that he never had to cover anything if he didn't want to.

I don't think it was a "warm fuzzy" I was feeling when he said that, rather it was something different.

In my experience, Warranty has never been a happy thing, and the best RV years of my life were experienced after it was expired.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
As long as the dealer remains between us and the application of the warranty nothing changes. More marketing hype in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
As long as the dealer remains between us and the application of the warranty nothing changes. More marketing hype in my opinion.
Agreed

Closing the availability to the Factory Repair Center for those able to get there is a huge mistake.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Driven by strong growth in retail sales and the entry of Millennials into the RV marketplace, Keystone RV Co., Dutchmen RV and CrossRoads RV announced a multi-million dollar commitment to delivering a superior customer experience spearheaded by the addition of the “industry’s best” 3-year limited structural warranty. The new warranty takes effect on units manufactured on or after Sept. 1.
“It’s truly exciting to be part of a movement that has our industry setting all time records,” said Keystone CEO Matt Zimmerman in a press release. “At the same time, buyers’ expectations are at a record high and it is critical that we not only meet but exceed these expectations. This new, clearly defined and straight forward warranty along with the steps we have taken in customer service and parts will set a higher standard for the RV industry.”
Keystone, Dutchmen and CrossRoads’ new warranty will cover the structural components of the RV including the roof, roof materials, installation, floor, walls, cap, internal framing and chassis. This will be in addition to Keystone’s base warranty during the first year of ownership.
Dealers will be able to file warranty claims and get approval on-line with minimum effort using Keystone’s KeyExpress dealer management system. The company will also continue to serve as a “one-stop-shop” and handle most claims for vendor components rather than forcing dealers to deal with component vendors individually.

Unless they really put in an effort to improve their quality control infrastructure within the product design and manufacturing process, it is nothing but marketing hyperbole. The industry needs a lot of effort the areas of quality of design, better training, standard operating manufacturing processes, systems testing and real quality control inspection.

If some real effort was done in these areas, warranty would not be all that important because warranty claims would go down along with warranty costs.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Unless they really put in an effort to improve their quality control infrastructure within the product design and manufacturing process, it is nothing but marketing hyperbole. The industry needs a lot of effort the areas of quality of design, better training, standard operating manufacturing processes, systems testing and real quality control inspection.

If some real effort was done in these areas, warranty would not be all that important because warranty claims would go down along with warranty costs.
Agree 100%

I don't have exact figures but if I were to take a very good guess RW spent over 10K in repairs on our rig in the first year. ALL was a quality issue that could have been fixed before it left to the dealer. I have had not one product fail except a bad Microwave that the dealer found before we took delivery. This must tell them something.

Steve
Old 09-16-2017, 01:17 AM   #12

It's interesting that this great announcement comes right after they have just changed the policy on working with mobile techs, stopped doing warranty work out of Service center and requiring warranty to go through dealers. Forget how challenging it is to get into a dealer that is willing to work on a RW.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they are making it hard to believe they have our best interest in mind.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:04 AM   #13

Look at if from Thor's poiont of view: They can reduce overall inventory by moving all parts to one location. My opinion and again only my opinion, I won't be supprised to see the Service Center in Topeka closed and Randy and the Guys end up working in Goshen. Right now there is no Office folks at the Service Center, Just Randy and Techs, all the formally full parts racks are empty. So from a true cost point by Thor, instead of moving parts daily to the different Service Centers, make all the work come to them in Goshen. Again no basis for this other than our observations while there over Labor Day.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 09-16-2017, 03:48 AM   #14

Hopefully they do move/keep Randy & crew, that has been their biggest/only asset to me, to do away with them would one HUGE mistake.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #15
Site Team

Maybe Randy could open his own and sub-contract to Crossroads. Not a crazy idea, would actually probably be more cost effective for the manufacturer.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #16

I do know that this coming week, Randy and the Guys will be at the Elkhart Fairgrounds in Goshen for the National Montana Rally. Doing the same things for Montana owners as they did for us.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:08 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Well people may complain about what problems they may have with warranty issues. The company certainly goes above and beyond at the rallies
Old 09-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #18
Site Team

I'll second that Shane. Never expected with a 4-5 year old coach that they would fix the stuff they did when we were at Rallies. I would have not hesitated to pay for some of the work they did.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 PM   #19
Site Team

As some have already said....

Warranty is only as good as the company standing behind it. Usually when a company starts announcing warranty improvements, it's to keep up with their competition. As long as Lippert is building the frames, I would be concerned.

RVs are built in a rush environment and as such, they tend to be built with speed rather than keeping quality in mind. Unfortunately, the dealerships worry about selling, and the manufacturer worries about building the RV, but no one worries about the end user. I think this will change eventually but it's going to take a company with a lot of money and talent to carve the way for other manufactures to follow. And the companies following the leader will do it kicking and screaming.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Well people may complain about what problems they may have with warranty issues. The company certainly goes above and beyond at the rallies
Just to be clear, the FROG has benefited from superior customer service at their National rallies long before RW got into the game.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote