Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #21

The Millenicom 20G Hotspot plan uses Verizon's network, no contract @ $70 per month.I'm not aware of any priorities with their service. I've been using the Millenicom 20G service for over a year. When I subscribed they were using a Novatel device, they have now changed to a different device as the Novatel was problematic.

I replaced the Novatel with a Pantech USB modem, reused the SIM with an adaptor (the Novatel uses a microSIM, the Paantech uses a miniSIM). I also purchased a Cradlepoint router, the Pantech plugs into the router, by doing this I get much better service and have quite a bit more control.

Regardless of which cellular modem you use, you can choose whether you want the modem to automatically choose the highest service, e.g. LTE, 4G, 3G... or you can specify which service to connect to (provided it receives a signal for that service).

One word of caution, this is a reseller, you receive 20G of data, once you exceed the 20G you get cut off for the remainder of the calendar month, if you want more data, you have to purchase an additional plan.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #22

updated GPS systems?

What is new and GOOD out there. Headed to Montana so we need tech assistance. Also any ideas on dependable internet on the road (laptop, smart phone, and smart TV)?
Peggy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:00 AM   #23

I do not recommend a Mifi by Verizion. We have a 10 G service for 80.00 a month. While it works we go through a gig of data in a couple hours using a laptop or phone with it. I have an IPad with 3 Gig of data a month with ATT and can use it all month and not go through the 3 G of data. I am doing the same things with the iPad that I do with my phone or laptop and Verizion cannot explain why we use so much data doing a few simple things on the computer or iPhone. They also charge you a lot should you go over the data contracted. We use the Mifi and turn it off. It is never left on......just our experience......

Eileen
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:52 AM   #24

You have something going on in the background Eileen. I have 4 smart phones and 3 tablets on one 10gb Veriizon account, and we have yet to break 5 gb. Some of it is even streaming Netflix. I use my tablet as a hotspot mifi all the time, including for business.

I had an issue one month and found out I had downloaded CArbonite instead of just accessing it and within a few days it burned over 5gb. I found it hogging data in the apps that are running. Unloaded it and never had an issue since. The other time I was surprised was when we bought the Redwood and started streaming HD over Amazon through my mifi and we got warnings that the night before we burned over 2gb from the streaming.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:59 AM   #25

I have checked everything. We turn off wifi on our other devices to make sure only one devise is connecting and that only one site is on...nothing in the back ground and like I said turn it off immediately after using it. We have gone to the Verizion Store many times and they are no help! They did a reset on it once but it made no difference. I just don't understand. We have Sprint phone with unlimited data, but I wanted the Version Mifi because you can get access in more areas than Sprint.
By the way the person that said Sprint can't use your phones as a hot spot....when I checked on that it was possible, but we didn't go with that because of Sprint limited access in some areas.

Eileen
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:08 AM   #26

We have Verizon & unless my grandkids are here playing games we only use about 6g a month. Verizon has worked great for us all across the country, probably more expensive than others, but it has worked everywhere. As to Sprint, I'd use 2 cans & a string before signing with them again
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #27

We have AT&T phones and a Verizon data package. We seem to always be able to have good Verizon service, but were often without phones in the southwest.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:09 AM   #28

That's why we dropped AT&T. Service in the hinterlands is somewhat spotty, but we seem to have pretty good coverage in the western US with Verizon. Also crossing the west and midwest last summer going to the rally, our Verizon coverage is usually LTE. When we winter in AZ, we purchased internet service with Century link for around $40/mo. speed pretty reasonable. Whenever we need to we hotspot with our phones for internet service; haven't gone over our 6GB data cap yet.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #29

Bandwidth

If the camp ground you are staying at has low bandwidth then your internet will run slow. Your signal strength tells you how strong you are connected to the network. You could have strong signal but if you do not have the bandwidth you will still run slow. Also the more campers on that network the slower the internet will be.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #30

I use both Verizon and AT&T. I work when on the road so connectivity is important.

Currently we're in the Sierra foothills, Verizon voice, ok, very poor data; AT&T is good for both.

In a recent trip through Arizona, Utah and back to California we stopped in 11 parks. I was able to use Verizon only 3 times (one spot has a known cell tower data problem with Verizon).

Last year we took a trip through central Oregon then back down the coast. Verizon and AT&T was exactly 50/50.

What I have found interesting is that we have rarely had both services. Just the places we have gone, I imagine. Nothing scientific, just interesting.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #31

We are full-timers and so far internet has worked best with the use a Ubiquity Bullet - a small professional level WiFi radio station. The new version is water-resistant and can be mounted on the antenna itself with we have outside on the ladder in the back. An then we use an ethernet cable from the bullet to the interior WiFi network. It took us a long time to learn how to program and use it but once we did it is well invested time!

We can then choose to use either a directional or an omni directional antenna.

Off course you need a WiFi signal to start with but our experience is that the signal in campgrounds Club House often are ok even if internet itself can be slow. However we have used the bullet on at least 80% of all our campsites and the difference between connecting direct to the antenna inside your computer is huge.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/bulletm/

We bough that plus our antennas from a company jefatech somewhere on the East cost. Small family business, not the cheapest but excellent support and they help out when things go bad.

We also have a Verizon puck as a backup with 16GB per month for about 100 bucks. Use it together with our two iPhones. Verizon has deals from time to time and the price per GB seems to go down pretty fast.

In Florida there is a new system (which will be in court here in July!) where Xfinity/Comcast are using private peoples routers in there homes to create a WiFi network that works pretty good! We were able to log in with a TimeWarner PW for free.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote