Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #1

Upgrading Counters to Quartz? Any Feedback?

HI everyone!
Well, we have a pretty intimidating list of upgrades for our RW, and one of them is the counter tops. The "solid surface" that they went to AFTER the earlier quartz models is awful. Mine is dull and ugly, and I have tried everything to shine it to no avail. I would love to have quartz, and am thinking of doing it. While I am at it, I will replace the cheap Atwood cooktop with a nice cooktop (like the new RW's are getting, probably).

The kitchen sink will be replace with a nice, heavy gauge stainless model that can withstand fulltime living. The white sink, while pretty when new, is a chore to keep white. The only solution is to scrub with cleaner (I use Barkeepers friend) and then I fill the sink with a hot bleach-water solution and let it soak. This DOES work, but only for a short time, of course. It has always leaked in the seam where it connects to the counter top and I give up on that.

Anyone ever replaced the counters? Any thoughts on it? We did replace the cheap faucet with a Hans Grohe and it's made a HUGE difference! LOVE IT.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:39 AM   #2

That would be a nice upgrade - I like that new cooktop.

It wouldn't have to be quartz, you could go granite, corian, anything you want. Probably wouldn't be that expensive either. I don't think I would go to a cast iron sink because of weight, but there are plenty of sinks you could go to. I'm not a stainless fan, but that's just me.

We have Corian now, and it has held up well.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 AM   #3

I am struggling with whether to put in the propane (great for boondocking) or the induction (Which I use on a daily basis). I NEVER use the factory piece of junk that is under those heavy covers. I wish I would have thought that through better when we ordered our RW. In May we are getting our solar system installed and it will have the power to run induction for a short time. I could always have a single burner chef's propane cook top stowed for boondocking. I like that the induction doesn't need big heavy covers moved all the time and is nearly flush with the counter top. I think I have made up my mind!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
Site Team

You could probably ask the Service Center who the vendor was in 2013 for the quartz. I'm guessing your Island is the same size as ours, I can measure if you'd like. Wasn't wild about the quartz at first because of the weight (Island alone is 300 lbs plus) and that the first and second one was cracked .......... but have to admit it's held up well, still looks new and it's great to not have to worry about a hot pan.

If you do go to quartz, tell whoever installs to put it on a THICK bed of silicone adhesive to give it a little bit of cushion and movement to avoid cracking.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:55 AM   #5

Todd & Theresa

There is another option, for around $100 you can get a portable induction cooktop and use it instead. We've cooked exclusively on that and our Traeger grill the last three winters in AZ and have been very pleased. The disadvantage with the Redwood two burner induction is only one burner can be used at full power (or more than half power) at a time just because of the 1800 watt limitation. An induction cooktop in the home is wired to 240 volts, so multiple burners can cook together at higher power levels, the Redwood one is 120 volts.

Jim

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #6

We've used a pair of portable induction cookers (as seen on tv) for 3+ years now
& haven't taken the covers off of the gas ones in that time.
You can go to any dealer of quartz, granite, or marble & they could fix you up.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #7

Dory loves our gas, I couldn't give it up. The new Furrion gas cook top is nice looking (Redwood uses it now).

I bought a single induction cooktop so I could get some of her cooking outside to avoid the heat she puts in there. I asked if she wanted to use it and she said "no, it's just not that fascinating".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 867b9c969bde7ea63465153ed7714ab0.jpg (101.0 KB, 12 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #8

Good advice everyone, thanks. Yes, we do have a portable induction cooktop and it's decent... I am big fan of gas, like Dory. In my sticks and bricks I had a large commercial range and it was incredible, so I have that memory to deal with :-( I would hate to give up the counter space over the range that the covers provide, might have to get an option like they have in some rigs with a hinged cover that is made of the same material. That would be ideal, but the range would have to be recessed. Since it already is, that shouldn't be a problem. Obviously lots of thinking to do. Nothing cooks like gas, for sure. Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #9

My wife a I are looking at the Fisher Paykle 24" stove
Old 04-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Tom ~ let me know what you think, Tracy and I would like to take a look at that also.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

If it works as well as the dishwasher, it should be fantastic.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote