Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

We are wanting to purchase a short bed DRW Dodge to be our TV. Will the trail air pin box be OK with a short bed?

Sharon

SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

Yes, I have it on my RL and I have a short bed GMC 3500. Gives a great ride.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #3

I'm curious why you think it wouldn't?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #4

We didn't want to buy a DRW and I surely didn't want a long bed. Since we have decided that the DRW would better suit our RW 38GK, I was trying to it with the short bed. Someone mentioned today that I need to be sure that the Trail Air Pin Box will work with the short bed. We are trying to make all the right decisions before the order! It really isn't fun to be buying when you are so GREEN. I have been in Motorhomes on trips, but never even considered full timing and NEVER pulled anything. A little bit scared, but excited for our new adventure all the same.

SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #5

As a fellow novice, I can assure you you've nothing to be scared about. We also went through the DRW v's SRW decision when buying the truck. Never having had a truck before my wife was concerned with the DRW, especially as she doesn't like my Mustang and the manual gearbox. Before we saw Redwoods we were looking at a Montana, which was OK with the SRW, so we only got the SRW. Now, after 6 months she would have been OK with the DRW.

I have never pulled a trailer, other than farm tractors/trailers way too many years ago. In BC we have to passa driving test, so I went out on Saturday for the first time. No problem, on the Motorway didn't even know the trailer was there. In the city, I had to continuously think, but didn't have any problems. The instructor wanted lunch, so he had me drive into a full Costco parking lot. Probably learned more in that 10 minutes than spending hours on the motorway.

The scary part will be the driving test on Wednesday, haven't taken a driving test in almost 40 years.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Team

My F350 is a short bed. The RL has the TrailAir pinbox on it and I have a BakFlip hard bed cover in the bed. When I tow, I can open and fold back 3 of the sections of the cover and thepinbox clears the cover by about 2" in all modes. My hitch is a PullRite Super Slider 18k. HIGHLY recommend this hitch with a shortbed. Atomatically slides and moves the trailer back as needed for clearance (and yes, I know that most say a slider isn't needed with a RW, but I like the added swing room and "insurance" ).
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana

I have never pulled a trailer, other than farm tractors/trailers way too many years ago. In BC we have to passa driving test, so I went out on Saturday for the first time. No problem, on the Motorway didn't even know the trailer was there. In the city, I had to continuously think, but didn't have any problems. The instructor wanted lunch, so he had me drive into a full Costco parking lot. Probably learned more in that 10 minutes than spending hours on the motorway.

The scary part will be the driving test on Wednesday, haven't taken a driving test in almost 40 years.

Andy
I too had to take the driving test and over here they made meparallelpark, did get picked up speeding

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Quote:

Andy
I too had to take the driving test and over here they made meparallelpark, did get picked up speeding

Dan

Wow, they are fairly easy in PoCo as I only have to reverse about 50 yds and in a straight line. They are however serious on school zones and playgrounds.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #9

Dan - did the test this afternoon. Great examiner, took me on a really basic route without school zones or playgrounds. Only had to back up straight and probably less than 100'.

Now that's over I'm going to have a couple of hopped beverages.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Site Team

Wow! It sounds like you folks in the "Great White North" have quite a test they put you through just to pull a camper.

Back in the 80's when they became uniformed down here with the commercial drivers licenses we had to go though a lot of that for driving big trucks. Some of the original "CDL" test I took had to be modified because too many people failed it. I'm surprised they haven't started testing for RV's as well down here....more fees to feed the hungry politicians. We have the best politicians money can buy.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #11

Dave - Affirmative, on being similar to a commercial licence. It includes a multiple guess knowledge test, eye sight test, practical pre-trip inspection and then driving test. The only component of the commercial licence we don't require is the air brake course.

Basically it's another govt tax as they charge for each test then further insult is a fee for a new licence. Guess they don't get sufficient sales taxes frombuying the coach or the fuel to move it.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #12

Dave, there are actually quite a few states jumping on that "Band Wagon" using the DOT weight of 26K, if your registered total weight of TV and RV hits the 26K mark you're suppose to get an endorsement or in some states a non-commercial CDL. If we stayed with New York (TV is 13K RW is 16.5K) I would be subject to it, which requires a driving test and someone with that endorsement to drive your rig away after the test. I think at present Florida doesn't have any requirement yet.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
Dave, there are actually quite a few states jumping on that "Band Wagon" using the DOT weight of 26K, if your registered total weight of TV and RV hits the 26K mark you're suppose to get an endorsement or in some states a non-commercial CDL. If we stayed with New York (TV is 13K RW is 16.5K) I would be subject to it, which requires a driving test and someone with that endorsement to drive your rig away after the test. I think at present Florida doesn't have any requirement yet.
I just had to redo my license and almost got rid of my CDL and all the endorsements I obtained over 20 years of driving. I'm glad I didn't now but they did put me in the non-commercial CDL. You never know when the politicians are going to start with new rules which usually require more fees.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #14

Quote:

In BC, we require the endorsement for any trailer over 10K.

Wecan't even drive the coach away from the dealer untilwe passget alearner's licence, which includes a multiple guess knowledge test and eye sight test. Then we can drive, but require a driver with the endorsement or a commercial licence.

If your like me and don't know anyone with a commercial licence you have to pay an instructor to practice and take the coach to the driving centre for the test.

Even had to put a "L" plate on the back of the coach.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Sharon, I"m with piper guy. We pull with a Pullrite 18K Superglide whillallows for a 90 degree turn should you ever need it. the turning radius without the super glide I believe is 88 degrees which means on some short beds you might bind against the cab at some point also makes for really good turning on the street.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:

In BC, we require the endorsement for any trailer over 10K.

Wecan't even drive the coach away from the dealer untilwe passget alearner's licence, which includes a multiple guess knowledge test and eye sight test. Then we can drive, but require a driver with the endorsement or a commercial licence.

If your like me and don't know anyone with a commercial licence you have to pay an instructor to practice and take the coach to the driving centre for the test.

Even had to put a "L" plate on the back of the coach.
I spent several years teaching people how to drive and back in the big trucks for trucking companies. I usually started everybody off with a toy truck on a table top so they could see what the truck and trailer did in turns. Once they could get a visual it really helped them. I carry a toy truck and trailer in the Redwood so I could show my wife where my blinds spots are while backing up. Now she knows what the game plan is when we pull in.

Several years ago I started taking flying lessons and the guy teaching me handed me a toy airplane...it sure brought back memories and it did help.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Dan

Quote:

Dan - did the test this afternoon. Great examiner, took me on a really basic route without school zones or playgrounds. Only had to back up straight and probably less than 100'.

Now that's over I'm going to have a couple of hopped beverages.

Great newsSounds like a better test than what I had to take here. Now its time to enjoy

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Oriana

Nice picture!

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #19

Thanks Dave - I mentioned to the wife that the truck and coach aren't colour coordinated. She only laughed so I won't be seeing a 2014 DRW in the crystal ball anytime soon.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #20

I live in FL and to my knowledge, there is no special license requirement for motorhomes or travel tralers of any type except for supplemental brake requirements for anything being towed in excess of 3000 pounds.

I drive a 44 foot motorhome with a Jeep tow vehicle with my normal drivers license. I did add a Blue Ox supplemental braking system to the Jeep--not because I really needed it to stop the diesel pusher, but for protection from additional liability if involved in an accident.

Likewise, 5th wheels and pull behind travel trailers are covered by the standard license.

It is somewhat strange, however, that a motorcycle driver needs a special endorsement to legally ride a "bike" in excess of 49cc engine displacement.

I guess our "old folks" lobby has more clout that the bikers although they successfully lobbied several years ago to eliminate the requirement to wear a helmet while riding. Go figure...
jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote