Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana

Thanks Dave - I mentioned to the wife that the truck and coach aren't colour coordinated. She only laughed so I won't be seeing a 2014 DRW in the crystal ball anytime soon.

Ha ....pour her a few glasses of wine....she'll agree to anything
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdunc

I live in FL and to my knowledge, there is no special license requirement for motorhomes or travel tralers of any type except for supplemental brake requirements for anything being towed in excess of 3000 pounds.

I drive a 44 foot motorhome with a Jeep tow vehicle with my normal drivers license. I did add a Blue Ox supplemental braking system to the Jeep--not because I really needed it to stop the diesel pusher, but for protection from additional liability if involved in an accident.

Likewise, 5th wheels and pull behind travel trailers are covered by the standard license.

It is somewhat strange, however, that a motorcycle driver needs a special endorsement to legally ride a "bike" in excess of 49cc engine displacement.

I guess our "old folks" lobby has more clout that the bikers although they successfully lobbied several years ago to eliminate the requirement to wear a helmet while riding. Go figure...
I was really surprised a few years ago when I went to get my motorcycle license (which I dropped about 15 years ago). Back in the 70's when I first got my motorcycle endorsement, as long as you could get the bike started and knew your hand signals, they gave a license. Now they have you go through an obstacle course that can't be done on big bikes, so there's been quite a market on smaller street bikes just for passing the road test. It's gets kind of funny watching a 300 lb burly Harley rider taking a road test on a 150cc Honda because he got caught without a license. If they use the same logic on an RV test, you'd see the values of tent camper go through the roof.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #23

Dave, I haven't figured out how to quote you, but your response is hilarious. I can see it now as we all take our new "pop up" camper in to get our RV license.
jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #24

I will rent out my 1952 Cushman Eagle scooter to them Harley guys, they get real picky about made in the USA
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdunc

Dave, I haven't figured out how to quote you, but your response is hilarious. I can see it now as we all take our new "pop up" camper in to get our RV license.
Thanks Jim
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #26
Dan

I was really surprised a few years ago when I went to get my motorcycle license (which I dropped about 15 years ago). Back in the 70's when I first got my motorcycle endorsement, as long as you could get the bike started and knew your hand signals, they gave a license. Now they have you go through an obstacle course that can't be done on big bikes, so there's been quite a market on smaller street bikes just for passing the road test. It's gets kind of funny watching a 300 lb burly Harley rider taking a road test on a 150cc Honda because he got caught without a license. If they use the same logic on an RV test, you'd see the values of tent camper go through the roof.

[/QUOTE]

Here if you show up with an "under" sized RV the send you packing

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #27

look's heavy over the rear axle, front end up in front in picture, what level do you have your fifth wheel set at low /mid / ?
gbownva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #28

What is the weight rating on your hitch? I have a 14 Dodge 3500 dual rear wheel and want to go to a 21,000 pound hitch
rickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc View Post
What is the weight rating on your hitch? I have a 14 Dodge 3500 dual rear wheel and want to go to a 21,000 pound hitch
I think you're better off going with a heavier hitch. This way if you ever buy a different trailer you don't have to replace the hitch and it gives you more margin for safety.

I've wondered about the new trucks and all their torque. Your Redwood might only weigh 17,000 (or More) but with the extra torque your pulling pretty hard on that hitch.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #30

Sorry I said that wrong. I have a B&W
20,000 pound hitch and am looking for a 21+ thousand pound pin box.
Thanks
rickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:14 AM   #31

This might be more info than what you are looking for.
Also if you decide to do any type of this work you can go directly to Lippert in Elkhart or contact Ron (Titan)on this site. (that is what I did)

We have a 2016 - 3500 Denali SRW with a short box. Diesel with Allison.
Equipped with Firestone air bags and a 24k Pullrite Super Slider.

The 2015 38' GK has a Flex Air - center point air ride - 8k axles - Disc Brakes and 17.5 rims and tires from Ron (titan)

This was over all a few bucks but it was for me the best I researched for me.
The reasons for what I did;
The air bags gave me more stability and helped make it a more solid ride as I was not going to a DRW.
The 24k instead of the 18k slider has a wider base for the frame of the 5th wheel and also helps with side to side.
Flex Air is their top of the line and I have heard the Trail Air is being phased out. If you are buying a new pin for 200$ more go to the Flex.
The Center point is on 2 separate gages and works great
I went to the 8k axles, disc brakes and upgrade tires is cause after weighing the coach. The axles were at 13000 lbs and felt all was too close for comfort.

A few changes I did to what was done is;
The Flexair now has 2 shocks instead of the 1. It makes the ride even smoother. I was shown this at the rally this year from Lippert. They will sell you a 2nd shock. But you need to install it.
The center point has 2 gages instead of 1. On the GK the road side is 4-500 lbs more. So the road side has 60 lbs pressure and the curb had 40 lbs.
The slider hitch has an adjusting bolt in the front center. This must be adjusted for the first 5 - 10 times out. and I mean adjusted tight. Or you will get klunking when you start and brake. Also WD40 your rails every tiime you use it.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote