Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #1

Tire Failure

This past Sunday our rear axle-street side Goodyear Marathon exploded while driving at 62 MPH on I-70. Thank goodness no one was hurt however several thousand dollars damage to our a Redwood. The exploding tire took out about 12-feet of the slide sheet metal and wheel skirt. The tires had less than 2,000 miles and were in like new condition. Just two hours before I had checked the air pressure. The tire's side wall appears to have failed.That tire and the other three Marathon's are now in the recycle bin and replaced with new tires (Tow Max brand ST's as late Sunday afternoon in the middle of no where is not great for having choices). The new Titan brake disc, on that wheel survived without any damage. Our RV is now in Bremen, IN, just south of the Redwood Topeka plant for repairs and painting.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

That's a shame Bob...

Did you save the blown tire for claim with Goodyear ? They are great to work with m and you may be able to get all $$$$ back... Glad you got back on the road and are getting it fixed..
I would watch those Tow Max tires, they do not have the best of reputations . .
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #3

Yep, those Tow Max have the nickname of "Blow Max", probably no better than the Marathons.
Redwoods should have never left the plant with "E" rated tires on, thus the reason now all have at least "G" rated tires.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:31 AM   #4

We had four Marathons with about the same milage blow out on one trip! Same issue...in the middle of no where. We had to replace with Marathons because G's had to be special ordered. When we arrived at our home base, we immediately ordered Goodyear G's. Have had zero tire issues since. Running marathons on these rigs is tire failure waiting to happen. It's not a question of if...it's when will they fail. Sorry about the damage to your RW. Glad you guys are OK.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:09 AM   #5

ST tires are only to keep the rims off the pavement at the Dealer.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:56 AM   #6
Site Team

Yep! The fight with the factory went on for a few years before they reluctantly agreed to our silly request for better tires. At the time we were told that we were over reacting and the tires were adequate.

Then the suspension issues started showing up..... Instead of advertising trailers for full time use, they should advertise "Potentially a full time use trailer with an additional $8000 investment". After changing the tires, brakes and axles you have a pretty good rig. No...Waite....there's that roof issue!
Old 04-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Yep, those Tow Max have the nickname of "Blow Max", probably no better than the Marathons.
Redwoods should have never left the plant with "E" rated tires on, thus the reason now all have at least "G" rated tires.
Last Sunday evening I did not want to put on E rated tires as the max load per tire (molded on time's sidewall) is near max and scary. I will be changing them soon. E's are dangerous for our RW.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #8

Did your RV have series e tires. We just had 3 tires with side wall blowouts with in 24 hours. They were all series e tire, but should have been G rated tire. We recently purchased the Platinum plan from the Tampa Lazydays without being notified we had the wrong tires on our RV. Also, we inquired why after they replaced the roof there were some bubbles in the roof and we were told that some bubbling is normal. Unfortunately we don't have any faith in their honesty.
robdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdandrea View Post
Did your RV have series e tires. We just had 3 tires with side wall blowouts with in 24 hours. They were all series e tire, but should have been G rated tire. We recently purchased the Platinum plan from the Tampa Lazydays without being notified we had the wrong tires on our RV. Also, we inquired why after they replaced the roof there were some bubbles in the roof and we were told that some bubbling is normal. Unfortunately we don't have any faith in their honesty.
Why was the roof replaced? Welcome to the Forum, BTW. It would be helpful to all of us if you included information about your rig in your signature. Thanks!
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdandrea View Post
The blown tire was an Marathon 16" E rated tire that came with the RW with 2,000 miles and set at the correct pressure. We have changed them to H rated 17.5" Firestone tires. That tire blowout cost us $2,700 dollars and a month with the RW in the repair shop. Hopefully the H tires and the new TPMS will help to avoid these kinds of problems.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #11

We had a marathon blow Jan. 2015...10K damage. You can read the conversation titled 'Tires...let's talk tires'. The bottomline is we replaced the tires with G614's and had to replace rims too because of the increased pressure. I took the blown tire to a Goodyear store. They sent the tire off to their lab and determined it was a faulty tire. Goodyear paid the whole 10K! A real stand-up company!
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #12

Can't you claim something like this on your insurance? Wouldn/t it go under comprehensive? Kind of like if a rock hits your windshield or a deer runs out in the middle of the road?

Mike
Mike&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Pam View Post
Can't you claim something like this on your insurance? Wouldn/t it go under comprehensive? Kind of like if a rock hits your windshield or a deer runs out in the middle of the road?

Mike
Our insurance covered the RW damage however not the tires except for the road service call. Our out of pocket was for the two sets (8-tires). The first set was purchased on a late Sunday afternoon so we could get to our destination. They were E-rated Tow Max tires. The next day at the RW repair facility the Firestone H- rated 17.5" tires and rims were installed. It was disheartening to burn through so much money however it could have been much worse.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:42 AM   #14

Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. I was just curious about how the insurance worked. I would be bummed too if I had to shell out that much money.

Like you said, it could have been a lot worse. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:06 AM   #15

It was covered under insurance. After I initiated the claim I made a claim with Goodyear. Goodyear paid the insurance company and the insurance company reimbursed me for my deductible.
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #16

When we had one blow, Goodyear reimbursed for everything even body damage...
I just sent receipts, pics, and the bad tire carcass to them, never contacted my insurance company...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #17

Glad you guys are ok.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #18

Same problem with my marathons replaced with g6s and 110 pound riims
Going to up grade to morryde and shackles
Hopefully that will be the end of it
Sk1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #19

We replaced all 4 E's the 1st year we had our 2013. When we needed to replace our 5th tire, I found this forum!! Thanks to all of you, We have replaced with G's and a Tire Minder......so much better, feeling more secure! Nothing like seeing a passerby flagging you down over a bad tire.....we have been lucky on all of our blow outs to date, only one crazy one during a hail storm on the side of a mountain in CO. We had a wait to change due to a landslide covering the road, to change the tire. But we were blessed, my angel was watching over us that day for sure.
TroutTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #20

Too funny, Adam ant! So true.
Great Vacations is offline   Reply With Quote