Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #1

Thoughts on your roof

Greetings everyone....as winter here in Canada wears on (its very cold here today....-40 with the windchill)....I would like to hear some thoughts on the roof quality....durability....preventative maintenance....and possible up grades....I do mostly mean weather / water resistance....estimated life span of the membrane.
I have always considered this is one of the major week points in most RV's....and with investigation I don't think RW is any different in this regards...I have seen some info on others that have done upgrades (roof coatings)....Personally I would like put a more permanent solution in place for the roof of our RW....Our 38RL's roof is in near new shape....but is stored outside....and will most probably always be so....we are heading for full timing in the pacific northwest so a rainy environment will be the "soup of the day"...Any input on this topic would be great....Thankyou

Wes

2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #2

We have the same year , my thoughts are if it is down flat with no spots showing to be loose and you keep the roof joints at the opening sealed up good with fresh self - leveling caulking it should be good for at a min 10 years. Washing the roof and putting a UV protection on it should help . The biggest thing I see is planning on doing 4-6hrs of caulking work every fall and spring on the roof, side walls. We are seeing the factory caulk shrinking and cracking depending on where it is and how much sun is has seen.

If and when the roof shows to be a issue I am getting a spray on roof , they have a lifetime warranty.

My old holiday rambler was 17 year old when I sold that, the only roof issue I had was a tree branch put a hole in it. I put some Sikaflex 715 self leveling on the hold and never touched it for the next 3 years I owned it. The Sikaflex seams to be very long lasting but make use its compatible whit the roof on your RV.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #3

We live in Oregon and store our RW outside year round. I check the roof at least twice a year once in the spring and once in the fall look at all the calk for any cracks or areas that need addressed. Every three years I remove the old calk and redo all the areas with new calk. So far after 5 years our roof still looks like new and we have had no issues. I have learned over the years and many RV's Roof Maintenance is very important.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:54 PM   #4

Roof coatings

If and when the roof shows to be a issue I am getting a spray on roof , they have a lifetime warranty.

I looked at a few video's about various roof coatings....by far the sprayed on type look like a permanent solution....is that something that can be sprayed on the existing roof membrane or do they strip everything off and spray directly onto the wood cladding ?...Anyone have experience with what coating / company to deal with ?
Wes

2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #5

On the RV Flex Armor they can spray directly to wood if need be.

https://rvroof.com/videos/
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #6

As the roof wears the outer layer of white rubber comes off, scrubbing it takes more of the surface off. I seldom wash mine, just check and touch up the caulk and stay off of it. Doesn't hurt anything if it gets dirty. My last park trailer had a rubber roof. It sat on the same site in MN for 10 years. Minimal roof maintenance and it was just fine after 10 years when I sold it. Never used any treatment on it.
gottoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:31 AM   #7

Redwoods don't have a Rubber Roof, they are TPO (Thermoplastic polyolefin). Does cause the white streaks like EDPM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer, a synthetic rubber).
TPO is the current "Go To" roofing material.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #8

Spray on roof

We own a 2015 39' Redwood that we recently had to replace the roof. Good thing we did, there was mold starting to show on the wood under the old roof. We used Pro-tek in St. Gray, La to put on the new spray on roof. It looks great and feels very secure. It has a lifetime warranty and these people did a really fantastic job. They also fixed one of our slides that had rotten wood on both ends from rubbers leaking over time. They replaced the floor with marine grade plywood and again, their work was great! They stay busy, and you may have to get in line, but I believe you would find it's worth it to take a look at their website, protekyourrv.com and see what they can do for your rv.
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote