Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II maintenance

The toilet began slowly adding water to the bowl, threatening to overflow. Despite suggestions on this site to replace the unit with one of better quality, I ordered a Water Valve Replacement Package, part 42049 to make the repair. Luckily, RW left enough room in the 2013 FB to access the right side of the toilet without removing it from the floor. It took about 15 minutes but be very careful when re-assembling, especially as you line the foot pedal up with the Return Spring to it's slot and Drive Arm Pin to it's proper slot. Mine was not quite right as the foot pedal returning to the closed position was not smooth. I took it apart, and re-assembled at which point the spring brought the pedal to the closed position smoothly and completely.

For giggles, i bought two water alarms online (not stocked at any RV store, Lowes or HD) which ran about $12 each with a 9V battery. One is behind the Thetford toilet (I'm not a plumber!) and one is in the basement.
fishkayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #2

That is great, I fixed my Redwood Thetford several times and the Thetford in my SOB 5th Wheel several times.
I always kept a spare water valve on hand, had some start leaking on the floor, had some that would not shut off.
On my Redwood, the bathroom started smelling real bad, checked everything on the toilet I could find, finally as a last resort I removed the toilet and found the pedestal base was full of nasty / smelly water.
That did it for me, I went and bought a Dometic 320 and installed it, have been a happy camper since
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

What did the repair cost? My pedal kept falling of & it was $70 & when it started leaking I thought that was enough, replaced it with the Dometic 310 & it's a much better toilet & can totally rebuild it for $20-$30.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

Hi Robert and Danny!

The valve was about $25. This forum is generally in agreement that the Dometic brand is better quality and I'll replace mine with a Dometic 320 should there be another issue.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #5

I've ordered a Dometic 310 to replace this 5 year old Thetford Aqua Magic...