Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Wonder why Redwood didn't go with LED Exterior tail/run lights. I thought for sure they would be, if Montana uses them already.

__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 148


One needs to remember that in 4 months theintro to the new "Carriage"comes out. I am sure you will see LED's on that unit.
Right now, things that you may have expected to be updatedon the '14 Redwood will most likely be on the '15 Carriage introduced in September. Please, don't be surprised if it wil be considered a 2015.

You've just mentioned LED tailights on a Heartland. Also, Heartland has storage beneath their rear living 5er. Holiday Ramblerhas the same.

Point is, there are features that couldhave been added to the Redwood now..........Redwood wants to showcase the BIG BOY............"Carriage".

Dave from Maine
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
It was Montana I mentioned (shiver in a Heartland owners boots if he heard it called a Montana )

Perhaps you're right, but nothing wow really about LED tailights anymore. Montana has had them for 4 years.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
mhs4771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,367
We traded in a 2010 Montana and there were no LED lights anywhere inside or outside.
__________________
Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
Last year at the rally I asked the same question and never really got a good answer. The only thing I heard and I can't remember who said it, was that the LED lights don't omit heat and therefore they would melt snow. They are right BUT the trucking industry has been using them for years and not too many (with the exception of me) pull there trailers in the snow. I personally think they're making a mistake.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

One needs to remember that in 4 months theintro to the new "Carriage"comes out. I am sure you will see LED's on that unit.
Right now, things that you may have expected to be updatedon the '14 Redwood will most likely be on the '15 Carriage introduced in September. Please, don't be surprised if it wil be considered a 2015.

You've just mentioned LED tailights on a Heartland. Also, Heartland has storage beneath their rear living 5er. Holiday Ramblerhas the same.

Point is, there are features that couldhave been added to the Redwood now..........Redwood wants to showcase the BIG BOY............"Carriage".

Dave from Maine
I don't think that's the case because they keep updating the trailers. Now you can get the new counter tops, someone said that you can get the ends of the slide painted and new floor plans. If the Redwood was going to become the next "step child" I don't think they would have made upgrades since they've been talking about the "new Carriage" since last fall.

I think there's a market for the next notch up trailer but they're going to have to convince me that it's worth the money.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
It was Montana I mentioned (shiver in a Heartland owners boots if he heard it called a Montana )

Perhaps you're right, but nothing wow really about LED tailights anymore. Montana has had them for 4 years.

You're right! Still, a Thor product though.

LED's are pretty cool on semi-tractor trailers.

Dave from Maine
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771
We traded in a 2010 Montana and there were no LED lights anywhere inside or outside.
Serious, maybe it was just the Big Sky that had them 4 years ago.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
I think there's a market for the next notch up trailer but they're going to have to convince me that it's worth the money.

I think it would be worth the money if I could be assured that the QC in the design and manufacturing process had an excellent track record. But that's subjective, I know.
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Site Team
 
hoosierguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Last year at the rally I asked the same question and never really got a good answer. The only thing I heard and I can't remember who said it, was that the LED lights don't omit heat and therefore they would melt snow. They are right BUT the trucking industry has been using them for years and not too many (with the exception of me) pull there trailers in the snow. I personally think they're making a mistake.


Dave,



That was one of my questions (Can we get LED taillights and side marker lights?) when I made my first factory tour with Andy Westdorf. And, he gave me the same answer..... that they don't get hot enough to melt the snow. I think all those truckers out there are really in trouble, but, I don't pull my RW in the snow, at least noton purpose. I would have preferred the LED lights.



Guy
__________________
Guy & Phyllis
2012 RW36RL,DualA/C,KodiakDiskBrakes,TrailAir Tri-Glide,GY_G614's,Mor/RydeSRE4000,HDShackles/WetBolts
2011Dodge3500Laramie,CrewCab,4x4,SRW,Michelins, LongBed,6.7LCTD,3.73,PullRiteSuper5th20.5KHitch, BlueOxBedsaver

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

One needs to remember that in 4 months theintro to the new "Carriage"comes out. I am sure you will see LED's on that unit.
Right now, things that you may have expected to be updatedon the '14 Redwood will most likely be on the '15 Carriage introduced in September. Please, don't be surprised if it wil be considered a 2015.

You've just mentioned LED tailights on a Heartland. Also, Heartland has storage beneath their rear living 5er. Holiday Ramblerhas the same.

Point is, there are features that couldhave been added to the Redwood now..........Redwood wants to showcase the BIG BOY............"Carriage".

Dave from Maine
I don't think that's the case because they keep updating the trailers. Now you can get the new counter tops, someone said that you can get the ends of the slide painted and new floor plans. If the Redwood was going to become the next "step child" I don't think they would have made upgrades since they've been talking about the "new Carriage" since last fall.

I think there's a market for the next notch up trailer but they're going to have to convince me that it's worth the money.

No, I don't believe it will beconsidered a"step child". I believethat Redwood will be one step down from "Carriage" like, Blackwood was to Redwood. I also, believe that Carriage, being higher end and more money, will not have the 2000 manufactured or sold within 4 years. It will be a select market.
Yes, there are upgrades being done to Redwood, always. I did mention that I believe that Redwood has not introduced the Lippert remotes for their slides. Or, a basement storage area beneath the living room in a 36RL for a reason. Other Thor products; such as, Dutchmen Infinity and Big Horn have.

Redwood will always be a residential living trailer that is affordable. The Carriage will not be as affordable. "Dave" as you have stated,......... "they're going to have to convince me that it's worth the money". It may not be worth it to you, ever. I'm sure someone will purchase them.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
As I've said before, we like our Redwood so I'll be open minded.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×