Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #1

Spray vs. Paste

I know there are a number of factors that would influence the answer to this question but I'm interested in a very general comparison. For those of you have their RVs waxed, what life expectancy did you see using a spray wax vs. a paste wax?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

My response may cause a lot of discussion, however here is what I believe. Wax is good for approximately 6 to 8 weeks, especially canuba. I have used paint sealer for over 15 years and would not use anything else. Sealer will last from 6 to 12 months depending on conditions. I use an acrylic on the truck and a polymer on the 5er. an They both are a liquid and are applied and removed like wax. Two reasons I use the acrylic on the truck; the acrylic can be layered and the truck gets the worse conditions. The polymer last about a year on my 5er sides the caps about 5 to six months. Acrylic is approx $25.00 for 32oz however will do the truck many times. The polymer is approx if I recall $32. 00 per gallon. If you want the product names let me know. Hope this helps Tom
Old 03-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Tom,

I use the liquid Meguiars applied with my dual head cyclo buffer. With the different Meguiars products and the buffer I can remove all scratches and protect the paint. Although the waxing has become a ongoing hobby for me as I drink my "Jack" I believe most people could get by with one good wax job a year. Since I enjoy the routine of waxing, I'm surprised I have any paint left.

I judge the life of the wax by how easy the dirt is to wash off the rig. The front of the rig gets waxed each trip to keep the bugs sliding off. And while on the road, I wash the bugs off the rig each night.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

I use 3M spray Wax on our RW. It is easy to apply I use a clean towel that I roll up and fasten to a long adjustable handle. I spray the wax on the towel and apply to the RW I do this about 3 times a year and it takes a hour or so to do the entire trailer. Looks great and has a UV protector. Best of all I don't get a Wax build up and that some pastes leave over time and arms are not falling off like when I use to hand wax our SOB.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:29 PM   #5

Hate to say it, but I think my sealing/waxing days are over. I started this past weekend and woke up in the middle of the night, right shoulder burning. Took some Aleve PM and spent the next hour or so trying to get back to sleep...and I'm young for cryin' out loud! At least I think I am.
I'm getting some quotes to detail the RW. It's not cheap; actually it's dam expensive, but this is the price I pay for all the fun and hard work of days gone by. I envy you folks who have the physical ability to tackle this job since it's an enormous undertaking. Last year was my last time. If I'm going to pay this much money to have it done, I want it done correctly. Called customer service at AutoGeek for some recommendations as well.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #6

At the Rally last year a few owners had theirs done at the park. Anyone here have their contact info. Looked like they did a good job on the ones they did. Wondering if they will be back this year.
Moland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:28 AM   #7
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingmitchells View Post
My response may cause a lot of discussion, however here is what I believe. Wax is good for approximately 6 to 8 weeks, especially canuba. I have used paint sealer for over 15 years and would not use anything else. Sealer will last from 6 to 12 months depending on conditions. I use an acrylic on the truck and a polymer on the 5er. an They both are a liquid and are applied and removed like wax. Two reasons I use the acrylic on the truck; the acrylic can be layered and the truck gets the worse conditions. The polymer last about a year on my 5er sides the caps about 5 to six months. Acrylic is approx $25.00 for 32oz however will do the truck many times. The polymer is approx if I recall $32. 00 per gallon. If you want the product names let me know. Hope this helps Tom
Product names please

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:38 AM   #8

I've been using a Wash/Wax product and works great so far. Spray on and buff off.

Steve
Old 03-30-2016, 03:15 AM   #9

Dan,
The acrylic is Klasse I get it from Autogeek.com . The polymer is Auto brite Radiance and the web site is autobriteinc.com. Hope that helps. Tom
Old 03-30-2016, 03:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Hate to say it, but I think my sealing/waxing days are over. I started this past weekend and woke up in the middle of the night, right shoulder burning. Took some Aleve PM and spent the next hour or so trying to get back to sleep...and I'm young for cryin' out loud! At least I think I am.
I'm getting some quotes to detail the RW. It's not cheap; actually it's dam expensive, but this is the price I pay for all the fun and hard work of days gone by. I envy you folks who have the physical ability to tackle this job since it's an enormous undertaking. Last year was my last time. If I'm going to pay this much money to have it done, I want it done correctly. Called customer service at AutoGeek for some recommendations as well.
I use a auto detailers 7 speed DA polishing machine. Polish and then wax. no shoulder problems.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote